• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Towing Eye

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
PO installed Towing Eye's. They are yellow. I've read that Tow Eye's were installed for Healey's going to Canada. What colored Tow Eye's were sent to which places? I've seen black and but only yellow ones I've seen are on my car.

Mine were used by the transport carrier as part of the hold down. Now their bent and scratched alot. They are off the car presently and wondering if the color is right. And if I will reinstall them.

Recommended product?
How many of us have them?
I guess they would be used only to pull the car up on the flat bed of the tow truck.

If no tow eye, where would the trap, hook go?
Cheers, Roger

AndrewMawson

Jedi Trainee
I understand here in the UK they are mandatory for cars taken on the track and are painted a bright colour (maybe yellow?) Source of information being my next door neighbour who races 1954 MG TD's and has had me make up tow eyes in my workshop before now!

Country flag
As I understand it towing eyes were only used for the cars sent to Canada. One picture I've seen had them painted black as were the other suspension components. As Andrew Mawson says they're mandatory for racing, and are needed both front and rear and are painted a distinctiive color- some cars even have painted arrows on the bodywork pointing to them.

A Pattern for them is available from the British Columbia Healey owners' Club and they give a contact address where they may be better able to answer your questions- particularly about the color.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Bought mine at Brit Car Spec (Norm Nock's). They are black. I use them only in the front for now. My trailer has a winch on it that I use to load/unload my Healey. Can't drive it up due to the muffler catching on the trailer. Never thought about putting them in back, how are they fastened?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Never thought about putting them in back, how are they fastened?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry if I was unclear earlier.

They towing eyes were for the front only.

In competition I understand that a specially fabricated one is welded or bolted to the rear frame.

kch

I have one of those, but have not put it on my Healey yet. Mine is cromed, and is to be mounted toghether with the bumper brackets on the frame. I bought mine from a guy in the Swedish Austin Healey club.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I have one of those, but have not put it on my Healey yet. Mine is cromed, and is to be mounted toghether with the bumper brackets on the frame. I bought mine from a guy in the Swedish Austin Healey club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never seen a chromed one before. I always thought you need two also. I put two on the front bumper brackets. Placing the tow eye up against the frame, then the bumper brackets. I used through bolts also, instead of reusing the same bolts. On my Healey the threads inside the frame were "wallowed" out to the point I doubt they would hold so I just bought longer bolts and used nuts/lockwashers on the other side.