• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB towing

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
My B has a GM V6 engine and tranny.

How do I find out if it can be towed with all four wheels on the ground like you see behind so many motor homes?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Platinum
Jack -

Pretty sure it's not possible without removing/disconnecting the driveshaft. Do you know which transmission is in it? There's information for RV owners as to which vehicles can be towed four-down, going back to ~1990:
https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/ If you take a look at the '90 models, you'll see that none of the GM models qualify. And that extends through lots of years - probably pertinent to your engine/transmission - with the exception of some four-wheel-drive models.

Mickey

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Thanks Mickey. Kind of what I expected but...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Platinum
Do you plan to tow it often, or just to get it home? Do you have a suitable vehicle to rent a trailer?

Madflyer

Jedi Warrior
I rented a two dolly U Haul for my MG B and put the drive wheels on the dolly I never tried to back up very far. Do not need as big of tow car . Madflyer

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
I towed a Bugeye from MI to Atlanta one time long ago when I could get under the car and remove rear drive shaft connection. Them days long gone.

Thanks guys

MGBGM1977

Freshman Member
From the TREMEC blog:
"In a TREMEC-equipped vehicle, rotation of the rear wheels (even in neutral) causes the mainshaft to turn. Without being engaged in a gear, the cluster will not turn and lubrication will not be fed to critical parts."

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Knew it was something like that but did not know for sure. Guess there will be a trailer in my life again.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Have seen it, it in reapable shop at the moment having A/C installed. Am pleased. need to put in a new drivers seat cushion. Old one kind of squashed, makes it a low rider. lol

Care is better than ok i think. Of course I need to take it south yet and drive it a few hours to really find out.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Not yet waiting on A/c.IMG_0504 (Small).JPG