• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

towing a Midget

Jack_Long

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Does the drive shaft need to be disconnected to tow a 73 Midget about 25-30 miles using a front-wheel tow dolly?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Many people will say "yes" but I have towed Spridgets for hundreds of miles (sometimes thousands) and never have, and have had no problem. The obvious issue is that the trans could (and some people say "have") popped into gear with interesting results and the 3rd motion shaft is spinning the entire time and the oil is never thrown on the bearings (normally done by the 2nd motion shaft, but it won't be turning).
In short- it has been done but is not the recommended way.
Bill

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
The originals should be able to take a bit of that but I've been warned never to tow like that with the datsun 5 speed. Its only 4 bolts and nuts to take the drive shaft loose and then not have the worry. and then wire the end up to something underneath so it don't come loose or fall out.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
25-30 MILES? No, it should not be necessary. The user manual should state that the driveshaft only needs to be disconnected for long-distance towing above a certain distance. Can anyone confirm?

-Duncan

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
rodesmg said:
if not sure, put the rear on tow dolly

I agree. A friend of mine has towed his racer thousands of miles "backwards" on a tow dolly.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
It was my undertanding that the tow dolly should only be used with the front wheels and the steering unlocked so that it can pivot on the front wheels that are srapped to the dolly and not get in a bind. Or maybe there are different kinds of tow dollies that pivot on their own or something. Can anyone see what I am saying here? If the rear is strapped down tight on the dolly, I don't see how the whole thing can turn without sliding the front end around.

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Kim,

The last dolly that I used had a pivot independent from the locked front wheels. Basically, there were two parallel plates, the bottom connected to the dolly wheels, in the center bolted together so they could rotate and the top had the healey wheels tied down to it. Therefore, if you locked the steeringwheel straight, you could use it to two backwards.

Ben

10musketeer

Jedi Trainee
Remember don't go backwards with wire wheels, or they will work themselves loose.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
saabmp3 said:
Kim,

The last dolly that I used had a pivot independent from the locked front wheels. Basically, there were two parallel plates, the bottom connected to the dolly wheels, in the center bolted together so they could rotate and the top had the healey wheels tied down to it. Therefore, if you locked the steeringwheel straight, you could use it to two backwards.

Ben
Ah, I thought as much. The dollies I have used have all been rented from U-haul and they were all one solid piece.