• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A towing a TR3A with a rigid towbar

TR3MT

Bronze
Country flag
I am getting ready to tow my TR3A with a rigid tow bar. It is just across town to a body shop. Last time I did this the car did not seem to track very well. I understand TR3's have no caster--could this be the reason? Not sure if I want to do it again. Anybody have any firsthand experience or knowledge or opinions on this? Thanks--TR3MT

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I have heard that if you have an overdrive in your TR3A and you tow it on all 4 wheels that you risk damaging the overdrive by not having the proper lubrication in the overdrive because the back wheels are rotating the rear end of the overdrive and the oil pressure is produced at the front end of the overdrive. For short distances this may not cause any problems.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yup, lack of caster means it doesn't want to follow the tow bar very well; and flat-towing is hard even on a modern car with more caster. I made a mess of my freshly painted TR3A front apron doing the same thing; and would definitely not try to do it again. Rent a tow dolly, or pay for a flat bed. I actually got AAA to flatbed the TR3 home from the paint shop last time, by calling it "disabled" (which it was). (It went in under it's own power, but then I stripped all the chrome off while sitting in the parking lot and couldn't drive it home with no lights.)

Although there is a valid lubrication concern with the main gearbox, I don't see why the OD would care. It never goes into "neutral", so the input shaft (to the OD) always turns when the output shaft does. At any rate, I didn't have any trouble with either of them (but only towed for 15 miles or so at under 40 mph).

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
X2 on calling AAA. That's how I had my MGB delivered when I bought it and I've used it for other cars as well.
Rut

TR3TR6

Jedi Warrior
I also had a bad experience trying to tow my TR3A behind my pickup using a tow bar. The front end would not track at all. I pulled over a number of times to check on the car, because it didn't feel right while I was pulling it. Each time, the front wheels on the TR3 were turned sideways. I ended up disconnecting the car and driving it to where I was going. I have also used a tow dolly which worked pretty well.

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you have wire wheels and if the towing company plans to lift the back end and tow it backwards, DO NOT let them. The wire wheel knock offs most likely will unscrew and fall off and do damage.
Regards,
Bob

OP
TR3MT

TR3MT

Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for the comments/advice. I have decided to not use the toe bar. Probably will rent a dolly.
TR3MT