• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Towing a Spridget

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I loaded all of my junk into a truck and my '66 Sprite onto a Uhaul car carrier today and I thought it might be beneficial to somebody if I posted about it here.

First of all, I chose to use a full car carrier instead of a dolly because I'm moving a pretty good distance (Key West to Pittsburgh). For some reason Uhaul's computer system only allows the option of a dolly for a Sprite so we had to say my car's a 72 midget

There was absolutely no way that my car would have gone up the ramp and onto the carrier without scraping so we had to back the trailer up to an incline (hard to find around here) to decrease the angle. Thank you BugEyeBear for posting some tips about this situation somewhere in the past, it helped me today.

What do you guys use as a tie-down point in the back for extra straps? I'm nervous about using the axle due to the brake lines. Should tension on the back point be pulling the car forward or backwards?

I'm a young guy with not all that much stuff and I had quite a surprise today when I found out that my spare parts and general car stuff take up almost as much space as all of the rest of my possessions!

What a long soggy day it's been
nws-radar-image-from-key-west-fl.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I use the axle & a soft strap....never had problems...rear axle pulls to rear, front tow points pull to front....another way to get on & off trailer is long 2x8's laid on top of the ramp minimizing the angle.

Good luck on your trip....wish you were coming closer to my place.

Oh, be sure to recheck everything after you've been on the highway an hour or so....& check your straps everytime you stop.

<span style="font-style: italic">{Why the heck would anybody move from Key West to Pittsburgh?}</span>

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I think you made the right move. I would never use a tow dolly with a spridget unless I pulled the drive shaft. It is especially hard on a datsun 5 speed without taking the shaft out. The input shaft needs to keep turning to keep oil in the right places. I don't know how bad it is on the MOWOG transmission, but I would not want to find out the hard way.

OP
theleisure

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
tony barnhill said:
<span style="font-style: italic">{Why the heck would anybody move from Key West to Pittsburgh?}</span>
Haha, I'll probably be asking myself that same question in a month or so.

Check this out- I've known the date I'm leaving and the route I'll be taking for a while so I've been checking the craigslist posts for places along the way pretty regularly. I found a guy who lives right on my route who's trying to get rid of a bunch of parts. Looks like I'll be picking up a couple(more) 1275's, an oil cooler, a windshield, an interior, and a bunch of other stuff for a super-low price! I'm pretty excited. One of the motors is seized but I'll take it anyways. The seller told me that the seized motor has a upgraded cam in it and some other mods. Is a cam salvageable from a seized motor? Something inside that thing will make it worth my time. Now that I'll be dealing with Winter I'll need some Winter projects, right? (which reminds me I'll have to install a heater in my car soon)

Thanks for your help Tony

Sean

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Couldn't find a ditch to back into?

I know he could but I think it is called the gulf of Mexico

:whistle:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Doc will probably know for sure but I think if the cam's not damaged, it can be repaired.....though it would probably cost as much as buying a new one.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:iagree: I imagine it would have everything to do with why the engine is seized, especially if it is seized from sitting. As long as it hasn't deteriorated.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sean -

Welcome to the midwest. I live in \cleveland and frequent to noth of Pittsburgh in the summer months. I\ve heard of a large brit car show in the spring in Pittsburgh. I\m sure you\ll miss key west -- you\ll like Pittsburgh.

George Zeck

OP
theleisure

theleisure

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks george.

I made it to pgh last night at about midnight. Looks like the right rear brake cylinder leaked on the way. Too bad, I'll have to fill the mc before I take the car off the trailer.

The guy(bob) in port st lucie gave me 2 1275's a windshield and 6 crates of parts for $150!