• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Towing a Sprite

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was looking up car hauling at U-Haul's website and it turns out the Sprites are too narrow to fit on their trailers. The middle of the trailer is void of material, just has wide tracks. A dolly would work, but they say to disconnect the drive shaft. I can't see why that would be necessary on an older manual transmission car. Can anyone give me some input on that?

Country flag
I've always heard people say that you disconnect the driveshaft because the oil won't circulate as well and the turning main and cluster with idle input cam long term damage the input/main joint needle rollers. True for sure?? Don't know.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'd keep looking around for a trailer. I used a friend's for Mini I once drove a long way to get; his trailer was perfect (but sort of a special one).

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Both times I've towed a Sprite I borrowed a trailer from someone local to me. Sprite is a narrow car, the UHaul trailer won't work, and even some of the dollies could be close.

I've heard the same thing Mike did about disconnecting the drive shaft. Cheap insurance anyways, and it's just 4 bolts.

You find a Bugeye?

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, it is best to disconnect the driveshaft. In normal driving the cluster gear is turning and splashes the output bearing for lubrication. With the rear wheels turning, the output bearing is turning, but the cluster gear is stationary, and as a result the output bearing can be damaged due to a lack of oil.
BTW, I used a U-Haul trailer in January to make the trip from Martinez to San Diego to deliver my BE. Fit fine.
Scott in CA

tomshobby

Yoda
I've always heard people say that you disconnect the driveshaft because the oil won't circulate as well and the turning main and cluster with idle input cam long term damage the input/main joint needle rollers. True for sure?? Don't know.

Yup. The pilot shaft will not be turning because it is connected to the engine which is not turning. But the main shaft will be turning because it it connected to the drive shaft which will be turning. So the cluster gear shaft will not be turning to throw the oil. So either disconnect the drive shaft or stop every few miles to let the engine idle so the oil will be stirred.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, it is best to disconnect the driveshaft. In normal driving the cluster gear is turning and splashes the output bearing for lubrication. With the rear wheels turning, the output bearing is turning, but the cluster gear is stationary, and as a result the output bearing can be damaged due to a lack of oil.
BTW, I used a U-Haul trailer in January to make the trip from Martinez to San Diego to deliver my BE. Fit fine.
Scott in CA

We used a u-haul trailer for the bugeye as well. It fits, but they won't rent it to you if you tell them that you're hauling a bugeye because their spec sheet says the bugeye is too narrow

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Most of the time the rack that actually cradles the tires is not too narrow but the ramps are too narrow. I bought a new Mastercraft and had them weld a piece to the inside track ramps. They narrowed the ramps by 8 inches total with angle iron. Works fine now. tow dolly 001.jpg

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I haven't found a car as of yet, but there is a potential 7 hours away. I'd like to rent a trailer after I get there rather than towing one and have things perhaps not work out. And the only trailer I have access to could just about tow 2 bugeyes, a bit overkill and frankly scary to someone who hasn't towed before. If people have had experience with the U-Haul one working, I'd like to do that. Anyone have the measurement on how narrow the rear wheels/tires are? Scott, you used the U Haul, did the tires ride up on the inner area where it tapers up from the flat wheel track area okay? If I recall my measurements put the rear wheels on that area next to the void on the inside.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Edd,
As I recall, the tires rode up a bit on the vertical part of the track area. I did have aftermarket wheels which were spaced out a bit. Did not cause any problems. Knowing the truth, they would not rent the trailer to me pulling the sprite with my Toyota Highlander. Told them I was towing a BMW Isetta.....about the lightest car I know. Did they know that the Isetta does not have the front wheels in line with the rear wheels, and that the rear wheels would surely fall into the void between the tracks? No! Sometimes Uhaul will not rent trailers one way.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I used a UHaul 6 x 12 box trailer to bring my Sprite from Seattle to San Diego, it was tight but fit fine.
BillM

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just got back from helping my daughter move to San Francisco and saw this thread.
Indeed Scott hauled the Bugeye down to San Diego to me and it didn't seem to be a problem. Ii didn't know you had to fib a little to get it done.What you need Edd is a great guy like Scott to buy your Bugeye from and have him bring it to you like Scott did for me.
Thanks again Scott.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well no. Scott and I worked out an all inclusive package. Tomorrow is British Car Day in San Diego. I will be there and if by chance the owner of the car shows up I will be happy to take a look at it. If he doesn't I may be able to look at it on Monday.Hoping to get my 6th trophy with 60 FROG. 60 FROG took 1st place at the English Motors at Fairbrook Show two weeks ago and hope to do it again. One thing I don't understand.The add says it has a 4 speed 210. maybe it is a 5 speed and the seller has never tried 5th gear.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice, have fun at the show.
If I recall, the earlier 210's had a 4 speed, how he adapted it is unknown. I would like to know more about it, looks to be what I am after, with plenty to tinker with on the dash to make it correct. Hopefully he will be at the show.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bill 210's came with 4 & 5 speeds. The same adapter plate works for both. Still trying to recall the driving experience of my son's '80 210 which I sold at least 7-8 years before I purchased Bugsy I. If I had only known...

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill, the owner of the car, Walt, sounds like he will be taking it to the show. I told him to keep a look out for you and your bugeye.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mainly looking for an overall impression, but concerns with the usual rust areas, body work issues, old rust repairs, bubbling paint, condition of the underside of body (not bottoming out on boulders and what not). What I am looking for in a car is something that presents itself well as a driver, not a show car. Not something where immediately I'd need to respray it, but I can tinker with, fix the little things, etc. And that VIN and body tags match up as they should....been having issues with that lately :smile:
Apparently it was stored for 20 some odd years, and he had the motor/trans resealed as they were both leaking.