• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Towing a bugeye

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm sure this has been discussed before and I did an advanced search before posting this question. I would like to add a tow 'bracket' to my bugeye and thought the original front bumper mounts might work well. I want to install a front tilt kit as well. Has anyone done this and can they share the pros and cons of a set-up like this as well as towing in general? I don't want to use a tow dolly or trailor and will be towing about 250 miles one way. Thanks, Rut

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rut,
I'm sure it can be done, but the biggest problem I see is that the two bolt holes on each side for the bumper brackets are about the only holes available to mount a tow bar, and that is where the tilt bonnet mounts to. Are you going to mount the bonnet later, or will it be on when you are towing? While you may not want to use a tow dolly, or a trailer, that is what I would recommend. Also, depends if this is a regular trip, or just one-off. Cheers, Sorry I can't be of much help here.
Scott in CA

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks, I was hoping to have a bracket made that rotates with the tilt assembly. My main concern is parking my trailor or dolly. I'll be towing or transporting the bugeye to the coast and the condo association does not allow storage of either in the parking lot or the boat storage yard. I would have to rent an off site location for storage and it just complicates matters. My thought was to take either an existing design of a front tilt and add a bracket that bolts to the tilt mechanism or have one designed from scratch. The assembly could look similar to a 'nerf' bar, but with holes for a custom tow bar. Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

JP_Furble

Rut,
My Bugeye has both a forward tilt bonnet and a tow bar bracket. However, the tow bar mounts to a bracket welded beneath the two main front frame rails not the tilt brackets. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can round up some pictures for you if you like.

JPF

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks, PM sent.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You will need to disconnect the drive shaft to tow (but you probably knew that)

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
They make some tow dolleys that you can pull pins on and fold up some and not take as much space. I have seen them but I can't give you a brand name. The other option is take a regular tow dolley and make yourself some rope hoists in the garage and hoist it up to the ceiling and park the spridget in under it with plenty of room. I have actually been contemplating something like this for fitting two spridgets in one garage bay.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP, is that the case? I'm looking for a simple way to do this and the drive shaft doesn't do it for me. If I use a dolly and take the wrath of the communal xxx, can I put it under the back wheels? It might be easier to put a hydraulic tilt bed on my PU. Any ideas?
Thanks, Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Rut said:
JP, is that the case? I'm looking for a simple way to do this and the drive shaft doesn't do it for me. If I use a dolly and take the wrath of the communal xxx, can I put it under the back wheels? It might be easier to put a hydraulic tilt bed on my PU. Any ideas?
Thanks, Rut

Yes, there isn't enough oil moving around the gearbox though the shaft is turning. You could tow it backwards I suppose - though not with wire wheels. You might think about renting a Uhaul dolly one way - would be a little more expensive but a lot more convenient.

Or, find someone who live close by who could store the trailer/dolly.

I think a tilt bed would be awesome, but only because having a transporter is a dream.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP, this would be a regular thing and I want it as simple as possible. We travel back and forth about every 3 to 4 weeks and I'm looking for a simple solution. Would a different make of rear end work better while towing? It's a pita having to deal with a communal living situation and the regulations that go along with it. I guess an aluminum tow dolly could go in the back of the PU if it had to after I get there. Any thoughts outside the box?
Thanks again, Rut

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tis not the rear end is the tranny. Unbolt the shaft at the rear end (four bolts) tie the shaft up with a coathanger, and tow away.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
No wire wheels on this one. Jack, I'm trying to avoid things like that. I want to figure out a way to hook it up and go and avoid the storage issues a trailer or dolly present. If you can't tow it without disconnecting the drive shaft it may just stay home.
Thanks, Rut

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
Tis not the rear end is the tranny. Unbolt the shaft at the rear end (four bolts) tie the shaft up with a coathanger, and tow away.

Jack makes a good point, the simplest and cheapest solution would be a tow bar, and either 2 ramps or 2 jackstands at either end of the trip.

The simplest and not quite cheapest would be a tow bar and a quick trip to a transmission shop at each end of the trip.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just took some pictures on the setup here. Still have some over spray to paint. lol

Attachments

• 25379.jpg
    25379.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 146

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
tow bar for a VW. 1" x2" channel bolted across the front with tabs attached for the bar pins. No tilting the front end with the tow bar attached.

Attachments

• 25380.jpg
    25380.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 146

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
And one from the top side.

Attachments

• 25381.jpg
    25381.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 144

Jedi Trainee
The brackets were bolted on using the 'Bumper' holes in the front extensions, then the bar was welded to the brackets.

Completely removeable!! :thumbsup:

Steve
:driving:

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Lee, that looks perfect! Can you pull your car without disconnecting the driveshaft? I know that's counter to the advice I've been given and I do want to know if it's possible without causing harm.
Thanks, Rut