• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alternator Conversion / Wiring

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Hello All:

Well, I have replaced the starter and am finishing up the alternator. (Working on a bottom bracket) The alternator wiring will be next.

I am the first to admit that I am a complete doofus when it comes to wiring, so I would appreciate any help.

These photos show my configuration:

Regulator
PICT0001-2.jpg

Generator
PICT0005-1.jpg

"New" Mitsu Alternator
PICT0002-2.jpg

PICT0003-1.jpg

Would someone please walk me through which wire goes where? Explain it to me as if I were five years old; crayon drawings optional.

Thanks!

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Hang on, Bill... I just saw a generator-to-alt write-up, when I was getting ready for my Lucas-to-GM alt swap. I'll see if I can find it again...

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
1. Remove the regulator.
2. All large power wires on the regulator get connected together. (brown, brown / yellow, but not the small brown / yellow)
3. The large brown / yellow originally on the generator is connected to the large terminal on the new alternator.
4. On the regulator, the small brown / yellow is spliced together with the brown / green. (This connects the ignition warning light.)
5. The small brown / green originally on the generator (which is the same wire you just connected to the small brown / yellow by the regulator) connects the one of the small connectors on the new alternator. I'm not sure which, but one will make it charge, the other will not. (the other is possibly a separate input in which case it might need a power supply) Consult a Mitsubishi wiring diagram for that.

I generally use Bosch which only have one large connection and one small connection. Older Delco has two small connections of which one gets a power supply.

That's basically it.

OP
bill_powell

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Perfect directions. I do without the regulator, then? I thought as much, but thinking has got me in trouble before...

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I did a fairly extensive write-up on this for the Wiki--look under General Technical Articles. It has a figure showing how to take out the old generator/regulator wiring and where to connect the new stuff.

OP
bill_powell

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
The Mitzu is an internal regulator, and also has an internal fan.

I have set up a "test" wiring (using a jumper):

PICT0007-1.jpg

PICT0009-3.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

Ignition light operates as normal, the car fires up as normal, the ignition light then goes out, as normal. I will need to check that the battery is being charged properly, but things 'seem' right.

I cannot thank you all (and this site) enough for the assistance. Gentleman and scholars, every one.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Head clearance is even worse on a stock BugEye (with factory tilt to the rear bonnet config)!! :wall:

I've gotten to the point that I just work on mine while on my knees!! :bow:

Wait, is that my car, or my girlfriend, or my boss?!? (All the same I guess, although the car complains the least of the three.....) :devilgrin:

"Cheers!" :cheers:

-Bear-

RJA

Why not make the control box a busbar and retain the original look. Does not require cutting any wiring. Simply remove all the internal coils and cut all of the connector on the back of the control box. Hook up and reinstall the cover.

RJA

OP
bill_powell

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
RJA said:
Why not make the control box a busbar and retain the original look. Does not require cutting any wiring. Simply remove all the internal coils and cut all of the connector on the back of the control box. Hook up and reinstall the cover.

RJA

I may do just that; I just wanted to be sure I had the wiring straight, and wanted my connections visible in the photos for your expert inspection.

OP
bill_powell

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
Running a single HIF6 (and a LCB exhaust manifold) on a 1275 is a habit from my Mini days. It's my favorite set up.

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0007.jpg