• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dynamo to alternator conversion

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am having trouble getting my BJ8 to charge. I now have the dynamo generating but still no charge to the battery. I have cleaned up the contacts on the regulator but no luck. The ignition light does go off after a few seconds of start up.

I did consider buying a new regulator but would still have to set it up.

What is required to do an alternator conversion? CAn I only do this if the car is converted to negative earth?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What is required to do an alternator conversion?

Google" Generator to alternator conversion.

Select the first entry that appears on the page.

-----------------------------OR
Google MGAgaru.com

CAn I only do this if the car is converted to negative earth

No there are a limited number of POS earth alternators available for you to use.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Check out Hendrix Wire Wheels web site. Allen has a great kit with everything but the alternator. I went through the same pain of trying to make my generator and regulator work. I put the kit on my BJ8 and think it is one of the best things I have done to my Healey for reliability.
I did take the guts out of my regulator, which is one of the options for grounding, and it is the common point for several wires. It just sits there looking correct, but is connected to the alternator.
Yes, my car is negative ground now.
Charlie

dcarlg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I was in your situation recently and decided to install an alternator due to the additional electrical demands of a radio, radiator cooling fan, cold air vent fan and future placement of driving / fog lamps. Since I chose to not place Chevy parts on my Healey I purchased the alternator coversion kit from AH Spares in the UK. So far so good.
Car was already negative ground.

IanIrving

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'd suggest you change to negative earth at the same time. It is an easy job and you will find that negative earth alternators are much more easily available and alot less expensive. Another advantage is anything you fit later, GPS, Radio, CD etc is straight off the shelf. Google conversion to negative earth, the only thing I had to change on my BJ8 was to swop two wires in the rev counter and reverse the coil wire on the back of it. The whole job took a lot less than an hour.

Ian

BipBip

Freshman Member
I make that change last year. It's very important also to buy the ALTERNATOR MOUNTING BRACKET specifique, i bought it in AH spares - not forget to buy also the joint, I did - so the original mounting can be broken so it doens't work equal and the consequences can be dramatiques....

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Did you do the test for the dynamo in the shop manual?

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Jeepster

Wiring an alternator into a BJ8 is relatively easy but is dependant upon your selection of alternator for mount or hook-up. As I am not completely aware of the most common alternators available in the UK, I would suggest you consider a 2 or 3 wire units with output in the range of 50 amps to 100 amps as this will provide more than enough power for anything you have installed or plan for the future.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...cy&hl=en_US

The link above will take you to an article I wrote for our club news letter. It describes the easy assembly of a very low cost (relative to those available on the market) mount utilizing the original generator mounting plate along with the wiring hook-up. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ray
RAC68 (64BJ8P1)