• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Just Discovered These Alternator Conversion Anyone Do One

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Years ago I was going to do a alternator conversion in my TR3. However I wanted to keep that original look and kept me from doing it. I was looking for something on Ebay and came across this set up. Any one do this? I would want to keep the original Voltage regulator in tacked too and run everything thru it but I'm sure it would have to be gutted since it has it's own internal regulator. A little on the pricey side too but seems very easy install. I emailed the seller if the original pulley will fit on it but no reply in the last 3 days.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Generator-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I did the same on my TR4 - no long trips yet but it was an easy fit. Mixed reviews on the longevity of these setups so I keep a stock regulator in the boot and can go back to a generator if needed.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Is that a real bearing in the back plate or a bushing like the originals? Also does it pull the air from the back or the front for cooling?

dklawson

Yoda
Those alternators have been available for more than a decade. Thankfully their price has dropped a lot since their introduction. When first introduced the products had a reputation for short lives with heat blamed for the failures. Hopefully longer life can be expected from the current products.

If you want to retain the original loom you certainly can buy the dummy box offered by BPNW (linked above). However, if you have a dead generator control box, those can be converted by most home mechanics using instructions you can download from the Mini Mania website. However, to take full advantage of the added output of the alternator you should also consider adding a second 10 AWG brown wire from the alternator to the hot terminal on the starter solenoid.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just got a message that this generator does not fit the original pulley. However SASSAMON said his original pulley and fan fit fine. Are there different alts out there?

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Not knocking the supplier, but mine gave me fits. The first one was not drilled deep enough for the tach drive to fit. The second one the tach drive threads weren’t cut properly so my original tach drive wouldn’t thread on. The supplier sold me an alternator pulley and fan. The pulley was smaller than the original so the tach wouldn’t read right. I was able to get a fan and pulley from a friend and then that didn’t line up properly. Once i shimmed the pulley and carefully chased the threads everything finally works.

This is was on my Bugeye so hopefully you won’t have the same problems.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
At lease for now I'm not willing to change the main pulley and water pump pulley. Added expense and for me but the worst is the extra time it will take to change over and source the parts. It would have been great to have a bit more piece of mind. Had to change one out 3 times at the TRF Summer Party weekend once. I do have a brand new Lucas generator that I carry for a spare when I go on trips. Might just for now keep doing what I'm doing.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I’m not sure what brand the BPNW is but it was a fit to the original pulley and an easy install. If you aren’t in a hurry you could wait for one of their decent sales and get a better price.