• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bosch alternator conversion

hondo402000

Darth Vader
So moving on to other electrical questions. I did the bosch alternator conversion a few years ago. the ford fiesta one, on the back there are 2 large terminals and a small terminal all next to each other and then a stand alone terminal when I hooked my new harness up, the brown white wire goes to the large terminal, and I have read the brown yellow goes to the small terminal next to the big one,(obivious I switched those since I fried the brown yellow) and information I have read online today says the brown wire is not used. but in Brosky conversion he shows the brown wire going to the stand alone single spade , so is the brown wire necessary at all?
I do not want to fry my new wires again.
I am taking the alternator off to the shop to see if I damaged it too.
Hondo

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Opinions vary on that point; mine is that the brown should be connected to the stand-alone terminal. This is a feedback point, so the regulator inside the alternator gets a better picture of what the actual battery voltage is, without being fooled by the voltage drop through the brown/white, ammeter, etc.

I think I've also mentioned before, my suggestion would be to split the brown/white and run it to both of the big terminals, even though they are "the same thing". Even with the bigger quick connect, one of them really isn't enough to handle the full output current.

OP
hondo402000

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Hi Randall
I did the double brown/white wire as you suggested and per Dan Masters book
when I installed the what was new now not new harness, I ran a dual BW wire to the amp meter and a double brown wire to the starter and put a 3 inch shunt across the amp meter in the back to split the current running thru the amp meter, I know the amp meter will not be accurate but I didnt want to burn it up.

Instead I burned the brown yellow wire up,

Hondo

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I agree with Randall about it's function and just left it hooked up as from the factory to keep from send a full 55 or 95 amps when it doesn't really need to send that much power output. Works great on both my TR6 and TR8.