• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Starter staying engaged

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
WillR's '78 B.

Brand new starter, brand new ignition switch, brand new ignition relay and brand new starter relay. I don't know how much more brand new it can get, yet the starter is staying engaged (on) after the car is running!!!

Any ideas??

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
this sounds really stupid, but, unplug the brake failure indicator switch at the junction where the brake lines split. it's a prong onto a nylon fixture - there is a diode issue with the red/white wire that has to do with the pollution stuff.

don't ask - just try it :smile:

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Or put the ebrake handle down and or unplug it from the system. There is a warning light and that is run thru a diode. Its connected to the starter system somehow. Should be a easy fix. Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Did we not flog this pony in another thread a while ago? That W/R wiring "add-on" with feedback diodes has been a thorn for a while now.

I don't have an example of the car here but p'raps someone (hint-hint, Bob :wink: ) could post pix of the offending wiring and diode locations into the WiKi KB?

We gotta get serious about that thing...

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
a pic would be very helpful. where do i start to look for this thing?

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ok pulled it. also got egr service counter & lamp. lets see if this is it!! thanks. i need to track down all the stuff this goes to instead if just a disconnection

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]brake failure indicator switch at the junction where the brake lines split. it's a prong onto a nylon fixture [/QUOTE]
tell me thats a green wire and a green orange wire. if thats it it was just hanging. i dont see the nylon. i feel like an idiot looking for this stuff :blush:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Stay on task with the white/red ones, Will.

The brake failure switch isn't tied into that unless a DPO did something REALLY goofy. The green and green/orange on yours may even be to a switch IN the master cylinder, too. Underneath it.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
last summer we put in a new mc. i remember unplugging something and putting it back on. now i just cant find that wire. it should be very visible from the front if you look under it right?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I would think so. Feel under the M/C about in the middle. Or grab mom's make-up mirror an' schtup it under there an' have a peek.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
I don't have an example of the car here but p'raps someone (hint-hint, Bob :wink: ) could post pix of the offending wiring and diode locations into the WiKi KB?

FWIW on the midget they are under the dash on the passenger side - you need to remove the glove box. They were not wrapped IN the wire harness and I can post pics of the actual diodes if necessary

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
the wires came out pf the harness just for those connections. i swear i get a few days driving something happens i go crazy the world ends cant fix it spend about a half week beggin for tips and help. it works out car runs like a dream and BAM! oh no, some lost diode i never heard of has destroyed my mg fun. but half the fun is under the car any way right?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
WillR said:
but half the fun is under the car any way right?

Only for a while, only for a while :lol:

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Willr, The later MGBs have more electrical gremlins than the earlier cars. BUT once you scare them all away you will have a nice ride,great brakes,lighter steering effort and a car that is easier to get into since the ride is a bit higher. I have earlier cars but tend to drive my rubber bumper GT the most! The idea is that you learn all this stuff about your car so you can help someone down the line. Maybe -just maybe this will be the final fix for a while! Bob

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well boys it lasted for about two miles where i found my clutch to go turn suddenly to mush. i topped it off with fluid from the boot and pumped like mad. before i could get back in the car my brakes started fussing over the attention the clutch was getting and started losing fluid. pressure wont get any better with any fluid top off either. i thought that would be a good laugh to post for this morning until as i turned on to my uncles street after work no more gas. now i just cant get the fuel pump to work. realy, i spend more time working then driving. this reliable daily driver thing is just not working out. :nonod:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ooof. Kinda odd for both hydraulic systems to go at the same time. Any idea when the last time was they had a rebuild or replacement? It's tough to count on ANY used vehicle unless you have been thru the thing system by system at least once.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
mc band new last summer. clutch had been fine until the other day. that just has a leak