• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Early TR3 starter (bomb style) bushings sizes

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone knows what the sizes are for the two bushings in the TR3 (bomb style) starter motor. Mine are both worn and need to be replaced. I am hoping I could source them locally from a bearing place if I just told them the ID, OD, and length specs. Just trying to get back on the road faster (summer is short up here). Anyone know those specs?

Thanks.
Adrio

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
BUSHING-CE--LU-M45G-M418G_p_303214.html
This might get you started. You will need to know exactly which starter model you have and take some measurements of the old bushings to confirm the dimensions. Looks like lots of N O S parts for lucas starters on eBay. Frank

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone knows what the sizes are for the two bushings in the TR3 (bomb style) starter motor. Mine are both worn and need to be replaced. I am hoping I could source them locally from a bearing place if I just told them the ID, OD, and length specs. Just trying to get back on the road faster (summer is short up here). Anyone know those specs?

Thanks.
Adrio
Hi Adrio,

I recently looked up starter & gen bushing numbers in a Lucas 400 catalog (downloaded from online) and remembered there was section that provides that info. I copied that info and pasted it below:

Lucas Bushes for TR2/3 starter 25541 (enclosed nose)

PN Starter ID OD Length
255491 M45G and M418G .626 .752 .750 (rear)
256112 M45G and M418G .566 .502 .687 (front)

Later TR3/TR4 25550 (open drive)
270038 M45G and M418G .877 1.003 1.328 (front)
- Rear bush is same

I've got that project ahead as well. Here's hoping we don't need to re-wrap the field coils - Have fun!

Jeff

OP
A

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the replies folks, they got me what I needed. Here is an update on my project.

I was able to source a rear bushing locally using the sizes you provided in your reply, thanks for that. That was the only one that was actually worn out (and it was worn out badly). The local part number (in case anyone needs one in a rush) was SS2024-12 Oilite 5/8 x 3/4 x 3/4.

My starter tested out fine electrically as per the tests in the manual and the brushes were long enough, so I replaced the worn bushing, dressed up the commutator, cleaned everything and then reassembled the starter. Once back in the car that starter worked better than it ever has in the 35 years I have been driving this car. My guess is that the worn bushing allowed the rotor inside the motor to rub against the cores of the field coils and the mechanical friction slowed the motor a touch until it eventually became noticeable.

Anyhow, the car starts instantly now, even when the engine is very hot.

Thanks for the help on this.

Adrio

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Any working "bullnose" starter is a unicorn. 99% of these have failed when the drive coupling comes apart.
Put it under the bench for your children to find when you're gone. Install a new gear drive unit and embrace
the upgrade.I have push started more early Tr's due to this failure than I can count.
Did a concourse Tr2 some years back and spent a lot of time re-furbishing the OE starter. It rewarded me
by failing in 2 weeks when the afore mentioned coupling failed......
MD(mad dog)

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Adrio did you find any pinion gears for the bullnose starter in your search for parts? I should have grabbed that one on eBay.

Thanks steve