• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 ‘74 TR6 Starter & Trans Cover

EWD

Country flag
Hi folks,
2 Questions:
1. Starter - Have replaced the ignition switch and new gear reduction starter ( British Starters). Starter does not turn without a direct hot wire from the starter to the switch. Did a resistance check on the wire (red/white) from the starter to the relay and appears ok. I assume it’s the relay? How do you check the relay?
2. Anyone recognize these two parts? The smaller one ( in front) was on the right side of the trans cover towards the rear. It fit just under the old cover. It’s hard to see, but there are 2 raised screw tabs in front where the indents are located. The other one was laying in the car and has been cleaned and painted.
Thanks,
Will
image.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I believe the ‘74 had a safety interlock that prevented energizing the starter unless you were sitting in the seat with the seatbelt on.
The “safety” feature can be bypassed by adding a jumper wire at the round connector that plugs into the seatbelt warning buzzer under the passenger footwell.
I believe you can jumper pin #11 and pin #12 on the round connector.
Please check the schematics for ‘74 to confirm.

Last edited:

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
This is the seatbelt module..It would be mounted about where the passenger's left knee would be his foot well.
There would be an electrical plug for the big round hole..a 12 pin socket...splice the white/red wire to the white orange wire if it hasn't already been done.
SEAT BELT BUZZER.jpg

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Morning guys,
Made the connection per Ken’s direction above. Won‘t start unless I bypass the relay with a direct wire from the
ignition to the starter. Is there a way to test the relay before ordering one? Something else that I’m missing?
Thanks,
Will

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You can pry the cover off and have a look...I have found the contact points within corroded and stuck...It cleaned up pretty good and worked for years thereafter.
If you want to start by checking the external wire connections just follow the schematic to see if current is flowing as it's suppose to...W/O in W/R out and everything in between, but I bet it's going to be what you find under the cover.

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Thx. Ken. Just finished my second cup and headed out to take apart the relay. Have cleaned and painted exterior but did not take it apart. Boy, I hope this is it.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Check those external connections first....there's a chance that current isn't even reaching the internals like the points and the circuit board.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I believe you can jumper pin #11 and pin #12 on the round connector.
Please check the schematics for ‘74 to confirm.
I believe it's pins 12 and 13.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
There's only 12 pins, Kevin....it's 11 and 12, but since it's the wires that need splicing it's the w/o (12) and the w/r (11) it's best just to concentrate on the wires, not the pins

OP
EWD

EWD

Country flag
Morning! It’s a great day in Virginia.
For the moment, all is solved.
1. starter - connections 11 & 12 made on the alarm module Problem was at the relay. Previous owner had the car worked on and the connections were put back reversed on both the starter and horn relays. I took a photo before removing to clean/paint and replaced in the same order. With it still not starting, I again took the relays off, and verified the connection numbers stamped on the back of the relay to the wiring schematic and discovered the problem. Connected 11& 12 per Ken and finally got rid of the module that was driving everyone crazy.
2. Thanks Easyrider for the photos. Have the brace installed. My car doesn’t have overdrive, so I guess the smaller piece was a standard install on the line. Didn’t know that the speedo angle drive was on the passenger side.

Thanks again guys. Getting closer and closer.
Will