• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA Change a pull starter to a push button system

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Years ago on one of my first MGAs a mechanic at the local MG dealership converted my pull starter to a push button starter switch. Has anyone done this and, if so, what parts and how were you able to do this. I don't remember any details from that far back. I do know that it was a lot easier to use.
Thanks,
Charlie

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I did this on my first TD many years ago. Don't remember the details, but get yourself a wiring diagram and you can probably figure out how to wire it between the hot wire and the starter and a ground wire to complete the circuit. One of the experts on here can tell you better than I the details. It can and has been done.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I would fit an early MGB starter solenoid and ignition switch and do way with the pull switch.
All wiring will be present save for the trigger wire that will need to run from the ignition switch via the same route as the cable to the Solenoid.
Remove the pull cable, as it can act as an earth and cause damage.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
D,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think having a separate switch for starting the car is kind of cool. I found an old big Healey solenoid in my shed from a few years ago when I had a big Healey. It's NOS so I think I'll try that with a push switch. Another car friend of mine send my a link to O'Reilly's Auto Parts store list of push switches. I'll head up there tomorrow.
Charlie

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
A push switch will work as a trigger once you replace the solenoid. Was worried that you where attempting to use the original unit, and the push switch wouldn’t stand the load.
Good luck with it!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you want a stock look for the dash, I suggest that you buy a starter switch and knob from a TR-3. See > 550-000 KNOB, starter switch | Moss Motors < for the knob. Buy a solenoid like this > 546-020 SOLENOID, starter | Moss Motors < and I'd suggest having a tab welded on the frame lower down than the stock mechanical starter switch lives. You could hide it under there and the button comes in very handy for bumping the engine over when setting valves etc. If you want a stock under bonnet look, leave the mechanical switch on the stock bracket and just disconnect the heavy cable from it and connect it to the new one mounted below. 'Stealth' installation.

I use the TR3 switch on the Jamaican MGA (pic taken during build). The button is to the right of the centre at the bottom below the fuel gauge. That way I was also able to keep the stock ignition switch.

dashboard.jpg

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Today I finished installing a push button from an early big Healey. I only had to enlarge the hole a little bit so I can put things back to original if I want to. I installed a modern six position fuse block so I could get power to other accessories. I also used an extra NOS Healey solenoid that I has left over from my big Healey. All is working just fine.
Charlie