• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Starter Assembly on a Solex B26ZIC

Crowe

Freshman Member
Hi, Would anyone know the proper assembly for a Solex B26ZIC carb. The carb is just like a 26ZIC but the starter ass. is a little diff. The B model does not have air jets on the starter ass. It is not threaded so it can not take one.
I tried to put it back together from the manual but it can go together a couple of ways and I just can't seam to get it right. I can get the engine to run but not ideal. I can hear it sucking air real bad from the starter air orifices . I have tried it several way with no luck. Does any know what is the proper ass. of this starter ass.
I got the engine to run but not ideal . This is on my 1958 Ford Anglia 101E. I seam to get little bit to much smoke from the breathing tube, but no smoke out the tail pipe. It has some oil also coming from the breathing tube. Any ideas.
Thanks Crowe

D

Deleted member 8987

Blowby may not also have tailpipe smoke. Can still be rings. Some out the road draught tube on a well used engine can be normal.

I use Solex carbs, not sure of that model number. Got a photo?
Does yours have the round disc inside a cover up against the main carburettor body?

Dave

OP
C

Crowe

Freshman Member
Hi Dave, If you go to Youtube and look for "1958 Anglia ready to go" you will see the carb. on the video. Also look at " Anglia 100e runs after 34 years" and you can hear the air being sucked into the carb. Today I turned one of the disk around and it stopped the sound but I still could not get it to run with the chock off,it ran better but it still would die. I think I may have to go to another carb for now just go get it to run,
Thanks

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If it won't run with the choke off, it sounds like your main jet or the internal passages are clogged.

OP
C

Crowe

Freshman Member
Thank for the info. I have already rebuilt the carb. it was just the starter ass. that gave me troubles. I put on a new filter and cleaned the one on the fuel pump before I started it. I will keep on trying.
Thank for the help.

D

Deleted member 8987

Cleaning the carb may not solve the issue if any passages are plugged solid. I know on my Solexes, there is a plastic spacer with gaskets on both sides that really love to suck the gaskets into the bore if it isn't all flat.
I'll go look.

D

Deleted member 8987

Hard to tell. Throttle plate open will give that noise, too. Is your carb main body three piece or two piece? i.e., throttle base, centre section, and top cover? If three-piece, look for gaskets not seating, sucked in, or damaged surfaces between bottom plate and centre section.

Dave

OP
C

Crowe

Freshman Member
Hi Dave, I will look at the carb. but I think is a two piece. I reversed the outer plate and it stoped the sucking but it still will not run if I open the chock all the way. I will reversed the plate next to the carb and see how that works. If that does not work I will open the carb. up again.

Thanks for the help Dave

D

Deleted member 8987

I just saw the links on the other thread. Yours is two piece. Did you run a wire through the jets (carefully) and any side ports in the jets?

OP
C

Crowe

Freshman Member
Ya Dave I did that. I think I will have to take the carb. off and go threw it again after I try and turn the first plate around. When the engine runs it has about 15 lbs of vacuum. I will turn the first plate around and see what that does.

Thanks Dave

D

Deleted member 8987

If I recall, the main jet holder (at least on my two) has small ports on the side that get plugged, especially if it sat for a long time and corroded. You should be able to remove the main jet holder and check it with the carb on the vehicle.
Idle jets, just make sure they're clean. The port into the bore just in from the mixture jet for idle can be plugged too. Remove the adjusting jet, small piece of wire straight in, open the throttle and look down to see if the wire came through.
Dave