• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recommendation for Smith gauge repair?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello,

I am tired of watching my speedometer gauge bounce. I currently rely more on my tachometer to let me know the correct speed (I used my wife's GPS to calibrate it.) I ended up using parts from two speedometers to get this to work as good as it does. I replaced the speedo cable and that is still not helping the problem. Can someone recommend a repair place they were happy with? What is a reasonable price to get this thing repaired? I don't know if it makes a difference, but the gauge itself lookss next to new.

Also, can someone tell me if switching tire size effects speedometer readings?

Thanks, Kevin

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Switch tire sizes will impact your speedometer readings if you end up with a larger/smaller diameter on the road.

There are several rebuilding places, I don't have any personal experiences with anyone yet because I haven't gotten this far yet but others here can speak from personal experience.

Here is one source - https://www.nisonger.com/

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sent my tachometer to MO MA mfg. in Alburquerque, both on recommendation and proximity. They did an excellent job and the turn around was remarkably fast, even considering that they're in my state. Will try again to get the web address, the one I first posted was a hair salon. Still no luck on a web site, but they do have an e-mail address. There are other posts here that have more information as well as recommendations.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Please do not send the unit to a hair salon.

If you're feeling crafty & bold, it is pretty easy to take that unit apart and perform basic service yourself. The instructions are here:

https://home.comcast.net/~rhodes/speedo.html

A bouncing needle is usally (but not always) the cable's fault. One exception (if you have satisfied yourself that it is not the cable) is some dirt or oil or such causing slight interference between the drag cup and the spinning magnet.

I mention this because the services suggested (though very good by most accounts) are far from cheap and if (as you say) the unit looks next to new it may not need the full treatment they do.

Good Luck.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dale said:
Sent my tachometer to MO MA mfg. in Alburquerque, both on recommendation and proximity. They did an excellent job and the turn around was remarkably fast, even considering that they're in my state. Will try again to get the web address, the one I first posted was a hair salon. Still no luck on a web site, but they do have an e-mail address. There are other posts here that have more information as well as recommendations.

:iagree: I sent my speedo and tach to MOMA and they did an excellent job on both. Turn around was quick too.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've been dealing with FOREIGN SPEEDO INC. in San Diego, Calif for many years. They specialize in Smiths speedos & tachs among others. I've never had one that I had to return. They also are able to re-calibrate your unit for modern tires. It requires some input on your part which they will explain to you.
Address: 2246 1/2 University Ave., San Diego CA 92104; Phone 619-298-5278. Hope this helps!!
FRank

pware

I rebuilt my speedo in my 53 chevy. It was pretty easy. It is cable driven as well. I know its a different breed than a english car but I would suspect its the same principal. The kit was fairly cheap as well. I could have had it rebuilt by a expert for around $150.00 but I did it myself for $30.00. You may want to check into some kits and do a price comparason. I plan on rebuilding mine in my Gt6. Let us know what you decide to do.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Most likely a cable. BPNW, order today have it on Tuesday. Don't do like I did and bugger the end. I ended up buying another. If you want one sooner,drive up and I'll GIVE you mine

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We've used Nisonger for years with no issues. Dozens of instruments, three different shops and my personal vehicles.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't forget Doc, new owners and different reviews. Also He's 2800 miles away

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yeah, I've thought about the 'geography' issue. Erased my comment of it tho. As for the different ownership and reviews, that hasn't been a concern with me yet. P'raps it's because we've got a "history" with the company, not sure. If anything changes it'll be commented on. Last time we sent a dual temp/O.P. and a tach for repair and all was fine. Just over a year ago.

:shrug:

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions. I saw all of the shops mentioned, but I have always done better to go by personal recommendations from this site. Thanks for narrowing down my choices.

You weren't kidding on BPNW, Don. I ordered something and had it on my doorstep in less than 24 hours using regualar UPS! I know what you mean about the cable. I have installed a number of speedo cables in American cars with no problem, but I have had a heck of a time putting them in a TR6. I ruined the end on the first one I installed also.

PWAR, you mentioned that you rebuilt yours for $30. Where did you purchase the kit? Is this something a novice can do? Will it correct the bouncing needle?

I have visited the sites you have all suggested. The price is comparable to some to the NOS I see for sale. I read that the magnetism can deteriorate over time in TR6 speedometers - is this correct? Would buying a NOS make sense if it was the same as the cost to get it repaired?

I think I am going to order one more cable and see if it makes a difference. I am not sure I trust the installer (me), but it is worth one more shot. I checked the pinion gear, so I know it is the cable or speedometer. Any more thoughts on this matter?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What did you use as a lubricant in the cable?

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I don't remember what I used for lubricant. What should I have used? One thing odd is that it bounced a lot (it was sitting for nine months) when I first drove it and is doing it less as I have driven it over the past two weeks - it has seemed to sort of level out at this point. The needle bounces within about 5 mph. Do you still think this is simply a cable problem? Nothing on this car has been one nice solution - it always seems to be a combinations of factors.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
From the instrument end pull the inner cable out and coat it liberally with good wheel bearing grease (I use a "red" Selig product but any good bearing lube should work). Reinsert it and try it out. I think you may be experiencing "whip" in the inner cable. Another thing is: attach the cable sheath to the chassis anyplace it has a lot of opportunity to flop about. Try tie-wraps and lash it to hard lines or other mounted stuff along its routing. Make sure there are no hard "kinks"... nice gentle radii at all places where it bends.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks. I'll do as you suggested. If that doesn't work, I will get a new cable and try it one last time before going after the gauge itself.

Kevin

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is a really messy job so be aware of seats, upholstery, etc. as you remove/install the inner cable. :wink:

I loop it as I pull it out and lube it WELL away from anything but the floor, re-coil it and reinsert carefully with a LOT of paper towels to hand.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kevin- If I read this correctly ,is the cable newish?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
ichthos said:
...PWAR, you mentioned that you rebuilt yours for $30. Where did you purchase the kit?...

I think the kit mentioned may have referred to his old Chevy. The 'kit' I use for my TR speedos is a bunch of old speedos in various states of disrepair. Usually pretty cheap on eBay if the seller knows (and admits) that they are non-functioning.