• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

installing seat covers

PeterK

Yoda
My current project is to install new seat covers on my wife's 3A. I got the covers from Moss, and also purchased solid foam seat bottoms to replace the springs for comfort. No too long ago someone posted that they had the Vicky Brit "How To Install Your Interior" pamphlet.

Does anyone have this pamphlet (or similar) that they could send me or download? Want to make sure I'm doing it the right way (the first time) and the Moss kit comes with no instructions at all. Thanks.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Peter,

If you don't find the pamphlet, look for Roger William's "How to Restore..." book pertaining to your car. He has a well illustrated section devoted to interior trim.

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Or if you don't find either, then the old hot rodder's trick is to put a plastic garbage bag on from the bottom. The new seat covers will simply jump into place. Then reach under and pull the garbage bag back out.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Hey Peter, contact me directly - I've got jpegs of the VB instructions somewhere ...

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Your're right Alan, I forgot I had those books (I have both the "improve" and "restore" set for TR3 and TR4 models). They do have some good tips. That's even wheh I heard about the foam set bottoms!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Costco-sized Pam-spray. Plus it tastes buttery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
The loop is a good idea. We find the bottom springs are just too bouncy so we opted for the foam.

G

I've got that Vicky Brit thing somewhere at home, I think I remember where. If you don't get it from Ray let me know and I'll scan it as a PDF and send it to you.

Dan_Pasta

[ QUOTE ]
I've got that Vicky Brit thing somewhere at home, I think I remember where. If you don't get it from Ray let me know and I'll scan it as a PDF and send it to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott,
I am also redoing the interior on my 59 TR .... could you please e-mail me that PDF also?

Thanks in advance.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
The pdf from Ray is for TR6 seats, different but some general help. I've got instructions for a MGB that's closer to our TR3 seats if you want it too.

PSUTR3B

I purchased an interior kit from TRF--all panels, all door,dash, wheeelwell, and rail coverings and the seat kit as well as carpet. I waited for their seat springs but never received them. I bought the Moss seat spring which are quiet firm. I did the entire interior but could not get seat covering to fit properly and finally took them to an auto upholster shop which did a much better job than I could. I found the "How To Restore a TR3..." book very helpful but I still could not do a good job on the seats. Maybe this site would have helped me
Gary

Dan_Pasta

Peter,
Any and all help is greatly appretiated.I'd love to recieve your PDF as well.

Thanks
Dan

Dan_Pasta

Thanks Peter, saved a copy on my desktop for when I start the recovering.

TR6Driver

Freshman Member
Country flag
When installing seat covers for a volkswagen when I was a teenager and a few years ago on my 75 TR6 it helped to get the covers warm and flexiable. It was very easy get a good fit when they are warm. A clothes dryer works well and laying them in the sun works also. I liked the dryer approach because it was so fast. Only a minute or so is all it takes. Might do some damage if you leave them in too long.

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
I bought new springs, padding kit from TRF and seat covers from Moss. I took it all to the local upholstery shop and they managed to butcher the seats in an afternoon. Check out the pictures. They told me the puckering would diminish with time. .I'm guessing they meant the half life of vinyl. Any thoughts on what they did wrong and how to fix the problem?

Also any thoughts on how to prevent myself from being such a sucker in the future?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Attachments

• 157926-seatcover2.JPG
    157926-seatcover2.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 100
OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
****, that's a bad piece of work. Judging by the crooked welting (white part), it looks like they should have pulled the cover from the side to side, then front to back, to straighten the welt cord before pulling the cover tight over the springs. Also looks like the padding over the springs is not even distributed to the edges of the springs (don't think the seats should look so rounded in the middle of the seat but should be more flat). Hope the seat backs look better.

You should be able to remove the bottom covers and redo them yourself. Once the cover is off, turn it inside out, place the padding evenly over the springs, then place the inside of the bottom seat facing on the spring/padding, press it down while you pull the sides of the seat bottom down over the springs. It will help to warm the seat cover with a blow dryer first to make it more pliable. Then once on loosely, adjust the welting to make it straight, flip the seat bottom over and press it down with your chest (or helpers set of hands) and fix the covering to the spring. Good luck!!!!!!!!

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
I believe the problem may be with the size of the new seat covers. I don't why I didn't look at this earlier. .I simply assumed something from TRF would fit correctly. The old seat covers are approx. 17.5" across at its widest point. My new seat covers are 19.5" and 20" across at their widest spots. I'm guessing the extra padding was used to fill the extra space under the new covers (and likewise what caused problems with the piping). Thoughts?