• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

installing seat covers

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
The later TR3 seats are squarer across the front than the earlier rounded ones. Sounds like your seat bottoms were switched in an earlier life.

There's a guy who sells TR3 seats and covers on ebay that might be able to help. I emailed him and had him make me a set of solid foam bottoms to replace the springs on my (early style seat) 3A. Basically it's just two pieces of dense upholstery foam with some top batting, all cut to proper shape. Instead of a metal frame the foam has a wood bottom that the cover is stapled to. Comes out really nice and IMO MUCH better than springs all the way around, especially comfort!

Anyway, what I suggest (after you get some $$ back from the 1st shop?) is that you use the larger covers and have him make up a set of foam. Mine cost around $100 for the bottom and top foam. You might also consider sending him your bottom covers and let him assemble. He also makes his own covers.

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
OK this is the time when I'm usually accussed of giving folks headaches on the forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif However, I was told the opposite with the seats; early seat springs are more rectangular while later seat springs are more round. I guess the double/single piping is the sure way to tell. Either way, the forementioned replacement seats are double piping--replacing seats that were the same. In short, the replacements in my situation WERE made too large. Look at attached image. .the pattern of the replacement shown is exactly the same of the ones they are replacing..just about 2.5" wider.

Attachments

• 159117-seatcover1.JPG
    159117-seatcover1.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
... unless you're building for concours, it doesn't really matter. Either way your covers don't match the springs.

My original seats have each coil individually covered in cloth. Has anyone seen this on a 3A?

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
A fellow from Moss Motors sent me a picture of these springs for TR's seats. The spring on the right is for TR3 thru TS22013 (note more rectangle). The spring on the left is for later model TRs (note more circular). You'll note there are also other subtle differences in the two springs.

There also seems to be a design difference in the seat vinyl design between the early and late seat bottom (I couldn't find any pictures but could tell in my moss motors catalogue). I assume the change in seat vinyl design came about at the same time the springs changed (but am guessing).

Either way, I have the correct NEW seat springs for the correct NEW vinyl pattern (at least the part numbers match up on paper).

Attachments

• 159414-seatsprings.jpg
    159414-seatsprings.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 56

mcguijo

Jedi Hopeful
The following is from "The Original Triumph TR". "On the TR2/3 seats the upholstery 'panelling' of cushions and backrests ran 'front to back', whereas on TR3A seats it ran traversely". Strangely enough (or not) the "original" seat cushions I pulled off my TR had springs that more resembled the early model springs and covering that resembled the later "transverse" cushion. ..go figure.

Peter, material between the spring could be remnants of what was used to compress the springs to ensure that both cushions (passanger and driver) were at the same height.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...The old seat covers are approx. 17.5" across at its widest point. My new seat covers are 19.5" and 20" across at their widest spots. I'm guessing the extra padding was used to fill the extra space under the new covers (and likewise what caused problems with the piping). Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

My '59 measures 18" across the seats at the widest point. I agree a wider cover (20") would have to take up the excess width somewhere. That high crown they put in your seats looks like where it went. Mine also has the rounded seat bottom.

This is on leather covers from Moss, originally fitted to springs, later reworked over solid foam bottoms (much better than the springs I had).