• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triple Strombergs or Triple Webers

Sleepy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Triple Strombergs or Triple Webers

Hey gang -

Does anyone have experience with both? Assuming a fully-built, fast street motor, will potential hp numbers be about the same? Are they comparable in regards to reliability, ease of maintenance, street manners etc?

Indecisiveness on this issue is killing me... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks!

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Re: Triple Strombergs or Triple Webers

Webber twins DGVA
DSC05928aaa.jpg

D

DougF

Many people prefer the SU to the Stromberg because of no emissions. Emissions on the Stromberg can cause problems, or maybe better said, will eventually cause problems. Corrections can be made to make them right.
Strombergs are definitely easier to find. But later models have set needles and aren't as adjustable as the earlier ones. Again, this problem can be corrected.
Both are dependable once properly sorted out.
Sorry Sleepy, missread your question. Maybe I was tired.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hi,

Different setups for different purposes...

Triple Weber DCOEs will give 5 or 10 more HP at the top end, if the engine is set up to handle it. In other words, there's a lot of other work that needs to be done for Webers to be truly effective. This includes exhaust headers, gas flowing the head, possibly increasing compression, balancing, fitting better conrods and a billet crank if you want to rev into the range where Webers do the most good.

Of course, similar engine work would help a triple SU or Stromberg setup perform to it's top potential, too.

The other advantage Weber DCOEs have is that they have an accelerator pump. This will give better off the line and mid-range acceleration than unmodified SUs or Strombergs.

However, both Stombergs and SUs can be modified to deliver more fuel (custom needle shaping, for example) and will get close to the acceleration potential of DCOEs.

Overall, at street typical revs, Webers sidedrafts really aren't going to give very much additional power.

Another thing, Webers utilize fixed venturi, jets, emulsioin tubes and air bypasses to mix fuel and air. All these mean they will stay in tune very well, but cannot adapt to varying conditions. SUs and Strombergs have a variable venturi and metering needle that, in effect, modifies their tune for a wider range of conditions. This can be an advantage for a road car being used in varying climatic conditions or up and down hills, etc., or if you simply don't want to fuss with the fine tuning that Webers might require. (Most serious Weber DCOE users have a box full of jets, etc. to swap out and fine tune their car for different conditions.)

A triple carb setup on the 6-cylinder will perform better than the original dual carbs. One carb throat per pair of cylinders is a much better arrangement than one-to-three. Of course triple DCOEs take this even further with a separate carb throat dedicated to each cylinder.

A DCEO conversion will also require you to convert to a non-vacuum controlled distributor. This is because there is no vacuum pickup on the manifolds. Adding one would upset one of the cylinders. The stock dizzy can be converted to mechanical (centrifugal) operation only, or you can change to one of the non-vac Mallory dizzies, but this latter will also require converting the tach to electronic.

Don't get me wrong, I've got DCOEs on my TR4 and intend to keep them (ummm, unless I go with fuel injection some day!). I'm a long time fan of Webers, but have to admit they have their drawbacks and SU or Strombergs can be set up really well, too. I run a pair of 40 DCOE in what is primarily a street car, instead of the 45 DCOE most racers who live above 5000 rpm use. On your 6-cylinder engine, 40 DCOE would be the right choice, too, basically, and then it gets into tuning for your specific engine. That's best done on a dyno.

A full setup of triple Webers will cost quite a bit more than a triple SU or Stromberg setup, I think, even before any other engine work is done. Is the bit of extra performance worth it? Only you can be the judge for your car.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I've worked with SU's and DCOE's. Both are easy to work on and hold an adjustment well but I agree with Alan. The DCOE's will perfom well but you won't notice much of a difference from the SU's unless you've set the car up with mods to take advantage of the increased flow capability and even then at the higher end of performance.
SU's are very 'streetable' can be adjusted to perfrom well and still get good miles per gallon.
The downside to DCOE's in my experiece is their gas guzzling. They are also very expensive compared to the others.
No experience with strombergs to speak of.
I'd like to see the triple pics when you decide.

G

P1010002.jpg

Complicated looking little buggers, eh? Not really.
I like my trip ZS setup alot, have no problems keeping them tuned.

As to the trip Weber setup, I was always told by everyone that they were a bear to set up and tune. At our last car show a fella was showing his rally car Vitesse set up with 3 Webers and it cranked Sooooo easily. I was impressed. He, however, was an expert Weber tuner who did such for a living.
My vote would be ZS, SU, Weber...in that order, for all the reasons stated above by Alan, et. al.

Yes, that is a petrol stain on the paint below the third carb. Darn Viton seal gave way, back to rubber.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I agree, Alan covered it well. DCOE's are "trick" and perform well, providing they're jetted correctly for the application. I have the box-full of tubes 'n jets he mentioned. 40 DCOE's would be the right ones for the street engine too. All the cars in my sig are 40 DCOE Weber'd ('cept ol' Diesela, 'course). I've set up Webers on everything from a single unit on MGB's to four on Cobras and 6 downdraughts on V12 Ferrari's.

That said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a triple SU setup. Once tweaked, you can run 'em 'til doomsday. Not as 'hungry' as Webers and reliable as house-bricks. If you show'd up in our shop with this question, SU's would be the recommendation.

Strombergs are 'adequate'. I have some dislike of the design; the diaphragm becomes a 'wear item', the various valves and "widgets" over-complicate the design/operation. O-rings to seal the needles... they'd be the last chioce for my money.

...just my take on it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

cjm

Jedi Trainee

very nice tr6bill{brought for your wife aswell?:smile:))}. although with the addition of a decent cam, lower down torque is achievable? 185 ft lbs at 2750 rpm,and at top end(for street)202 bhp @ 6000 with 215 ft lbs torque, these figures were quoted using sk47's.next best, dellortos,(considered by many to be the best designed carb there is)or webers.(both 45's)
i agree there is nothing wrong wih strommies/su's, used bored out su's, bcg needles,very good results.

swift6

Yoda

Another thing to realize on the Webers, is that by the time your finished you won't really be using the 40mm part of those DCOE's. To get the triple Webers to perform well from idle, and have any sort of 'street manners' you have to drop the choke sizes down to 28-30mm. Down to 26-28mm at our altitude here in Colorado. Otherwise they are just to big and the velocity of the air fuel charge falls off too much. Unless your idling at 2500rpm that is, but that wouldn't be an engine with good 'street manners' would it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Then again the definition of 'street manners' is different for different people.

Then again, I'm another Triple ZS user so I am a little biased and my GP3 cam has barely acceptable 'street manners' for me. Rough idle and hates traffic, but loves an open road.

2.jpg

OP
S

Sleepy

Freshman Member
Country flag

Thanks for all of the tips, guys, and all the pics look amazing -

I already have a set of DCOE's (40's), that I bought a couple of years ago off of ebay, but never installed. I also still have my pair of stock ZS's. My engine is in pieces at the moment, and the shopping list is long with regard to the number of performance items I want to add to it. Looking at shaving the head, installing a GP2 cam, etc.

I plan on a lot of Sunday drives, but those drives always include at least one zip thru a canyon (love so cal for that). No plans to ever 'rev' on any civics at the stop lights, so to speak, but would like to have some punch out of the corners.

The apparent tuning factor looks to be a major issue. I live at sea level, but the thought of having to have my carbs tuned every six months by someone with more knowledge than me on the subject is not too appealing. I can turn a wrench, but jet and tube combinations is not part of my repertoire.

Hmmm... Once I figure out which way to go, and sell which ever setup I don't use, I would hate to end up with 'wrong setup' remorse. After it's built, it's built in my mind, and aside from maintenance, no desire to change anything.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hi again,

Well, that changes things a bit.

If you already have a set of 40DCOEs (hopefully along with the manifolds and linkage), you might as well go ahead and give them a try! One of the biggest drawbacks to any DCOE conversion is the initial purchase price, the question if the little bit of extra performance is worth all the extra dollars. But you've already made the purchase, so I say slap em on there and go for it!

Did the set you have come off a TR6? If so, they might already be set up and jetted pretty close to what you'll need. Fine tuning is still highly recommended for your specific engine, but if the carbs came off a TR6, everything is probably close enough to get the car started and running initially.

It especially might make sense to try the DCOE if you are already going to be doing other engine mods anyway. You can always switch back pretty easily. Later you might want to give the triple ZS, and then will be able to tell us yourself which one you like better. (BTW, like one of the other responders, I'm a little biased toward SU over ZS. But you can opt for either one with the same triple manifold... the one from Goodparts, I assume).

Let me clarify, with DCOEs you won't be getting them tuned every 6 months. In fact, that's one of the main appeals of the Weber sidedrafts. They have very few moving parts to wear and get out of adjustment, so there is little or no ongoing tuning to be done over time. It's just initially that they need to be set up right for your engine, and that should probably be verified and might need a little tweaking after the engine has some miles on it and everything "settles in". Using a dyno and a pro Weber tuner might be expensive, but it's a one or two-time deal. A trial-and-error tuning approach at home usually ends up being more expensive, not to mention frustrating.

At the same time, the fact that the are few moving parts is somewhat of a drawback with Weber sidedrafts. The fixed jet and venturi arrangement means they can't self-compensate, if, for example, you drive from sea level up to a ski area at 4000-5000 ft altitude in the mountains. Assuming it was correct when you started out, the mixture will be a bit rich at the higher altitude. To some degree the same is true for varying climate conditions and air temps. But, unless you drive up into the mountains alot, you'd likely only get into changing things around frequently if you were racing and trying to shave 1-2 seconds off a lap time.

Plus, swapping things around is dead simple. All the key items (primary venturis or "chokes", auxiliary venturis, main jets, air corrector jets, idle jets, emulsion tubes, etc.) are highly accessible for just that purpose. Once you know where things are and have the parts to swap, you can change it all around in probably 5-10 minutes.

The downside is cost... There are six of most items in that set of carbs you've got. Multiply six primary venturi times $20 apiece. Maybe you'll want a smaller set and a larger set, for different situations, so double that (taking into account that the carbs already have one set installed). Main jets might only cost $6, but who knows, you might end up with a range of five or six sets to give rich, normal and lean across a couple different sizes of venturis, then multiply times six in each set. The same applies to air correctors and emulsion tubes... six of each. How much you end up spending really depends upon how much you want to fool around with things. On the other hand, I set up my car once and drove it for 8 or 9 years.

Another thing to think about.... I'd suggest you keep your stock carbs handy. If your car ever has to be inspected (emissions or ?), DCOE are illegal for street use in California, last time I checked.

On my TR4, I can swap from the Webers and their manifold to a set of SUs on a stock manifold in about 10-15 minutes, after which the SUs will need maybe 15 min. or half hour of fiddling to get balanced and all. So, swapping doesn't need to be all that big a big deal, either.

Again, one extra thing you'll need to figure out with Webers is the car's distributor. A stock one would need to be modified to eliminate all the vacuum controls. The only manufacturer of an aftermarket, centrifugally-controlled dizzy is Mallory (either a dual point or an electronic Unilite), and that doesn't provide any means of hooking up a tach cable, so using one of these means changing to an electronic tach, too. Either a modified Lucas or the Mallory might need some tweaking to get the advance curve set up initially.

There are a number of books available regarding Webers. In fact, Haynes publishes one that also covers both ZS and SU carbs. I recommend a little reading to help understand the functions of the carbs, at least. Weber books include guidelines for selecting and jetting carbs, and usually a table showing standard "kit" jetting recommendations for DCOE installations on a wide range of cars, including TR6 in stock form. Keep in mind this is just a starting point, though.

OP
S

Sleepy

Freshman Member
Country flag

Thanks, Alan, for the very thorough explanation. I need to replace or rebuild my dizzy anyway, so getting a new one is not a big deal. Want to change out my guages as well, and thinking about going with an all-electric set.

As you mentioned, the Cali issue is a big one as well. As much as I love everything about living here and driving, getting my car registered is going to be a PITA. Ideally, I would like to keep my stock setup to get registered, and then switch over after the fact. If I go the triple SU route, not sure if this is an issue.

hmmm...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Ack... SoCal. Mia Culpa. The SU setup will give you the best "latitude" for performance vs. compliance, IMO. Webers will need to be swapped out for ZS or SU's just to be ALLOWED to prove compliance. Best bet IMO is go with the SU's and learn 'em well. Sell the Weber setup: You'll be money ahead.

Just my opinion, mind ya. It goes back to realestate: "Location, location, location!"

You're trapped. Not a "bad thing" per-se, just the way it is.

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee

Alan_Myers said:
Again, one extra thing you'll need to figure out with Webers is the car's distributor. A stock one would need to be modified to eliminate all the vacuum controls.

Can you not pull vacuum from somewhere else? Many of the triple Weber manifolds I've seen for the 6's had a threaded port on top of one of the runners which I assumed was (& used for) that purpose.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Can you not pull vacuum from somewhere else? Many of the triple Weber manifolds I've seen for the 6's had a threaded port on top of one of the runners which I assumed was (& used for) that purpose. [/QUOTE]

The Warneford manifolt I've got has actually got two bosses that were undrilled. However, with Weber sidedraft carbs there is no balance tube between the throats of the manifold, so any vacuum source would be drawing off one cylinder only, and would very likely upset the balance of the carbs. That's probably why all the instructions and books I've seen detailing installation for DCOE say right up front that the distributor vacuum controls need to be eliminated.

By the way, I'm in Calif. too. I have a nice set of SUs for use if and when any inspection needs to be done, but my car is a '62, exempt from emissions inspections (the only kind of inspection performed in Calif.) It takes about half an hour to an hour to swap the SUs for the Webers, both are mounted on matched intake manifolds and have their own linkages.