• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to rig a PCV valve on the Triple ZS setup.....

G

For those of you out there running the GoodParts triple carb setup, do any of you have a PCV valve setup. The only ventilation for my valve cover is the three carbs' vacumm running though the GoodParts oil separator. At close to redline, my car wants to blow out the rear oil seal, or so it seems. I can run all day at a reasonable pace and not have a problem but when I run it really hard, approaching redline, and come to a stop and shut the engine down, I get a lot of oily smoke coming from beneath the tranny area. Got to be my rear oil seal blowing out. I have all new parts (seal, ring gear, clutch) to install but will put that off till my son comes home (muscle). I feel that at extreme crank pressure, ie, high rpms, I am in need of a better way to vent the crank. So, would Richard Goods PCV setup work. I have talked to Richard about how to install it and it is like we are talking two different languages. Either I am dense or Richard assumes I should understand. Help....

Is the extra small outlet (inlet) directly across form the large inlet that feeds my brake servo appropriate? Right now it is blocked off. (Obviously I am running centrifugal advance and don't use this for vacumm and nor do I have a charcoal cannister anymore)

Bill

OP
G

Re: How to rig a PCV valve on the Triple ZS setup.

Hard to tell, Harry. Kinda looks like the extra tube comes off the intake, but it follows the vacumm line to the servo. Might be going to the area where the fuel pump might have been, cause I don't see a fuel line nor a fuel pump (electric pump?) and could be sent to a blanking plate. Hmmmmm.

Still don't know.

What is the effect of a PCV valve. How does it work and when does it work?

Bill

vettedog72

Jedi Knight

Bill:
Not likely to get much help at WOT and high RPM's from manifold vacuum. The best vacuum opportunity is when you least need it (backing down and at idle). I think you are on the the other part of cockpit fumes with the oil leaks on the hot pipes.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Bill, PCV stands for "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" and came about in the early sixties as a way to vent carbon/oil "blow by" back into the engine to re burn it, rather than dumping it directly out of the old pipes that ran down along side the block.

With a certain amount of crankcase pressure being produced from the up and down motion of the pistons and the rings sealing them to the cylinder walls, (in the crankcase area)there must be a way to vent it or it will seek the weakest exit point from the engine. That will be a gasket or seal somewhere and it won't be pretty. The older the engine and ring wear, the greater the blow-by which is caused by compression from the explosions in the cylinders at ignition actually getting by the worn rings and adding to the pressure already in the internal engine below.

Thus the need to try to control it and get it back into the engine for re burning. Not nearly the problem today as it was in the 50's and 60's with higher compression and sloppier engine fit. The advances in ceramic rings and better oil control rings on the pistons have helped greatly to eliminate the wear along with better oil formulas and maintenance by owners.

arbs_53

Bill,
When I bought my triple set-up from Richard I had the PVC bung installed on the intake manifold for an extra charge, I'm not sure right now, but I think it was $80.00, or so. It's mounted right behind the middle carb and is sized to accept the stock PVC valve that came on my 250 (and possibly the early TR6's) The only problem I have is on cooler mornings, the engine smokes a bit at start-up. This past spring, I contacted the shop that rebuilt the motor and asked if it could because the rings hadn't seated yet. I had maybe 1500 miles on the motor by then and they said it more likely due the PVC valve pulling oil from the valve cover.