• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

E Type V12 PCV & Smog systems

Pinter

Freshman Member
E Type V12 PCV & Smog systems

I'm looking to removed parts, if not all of the PCV & smog system from my V12. Many parts are old, cracked & probibly not working correctly. I am not concerned w/ emissions control. I just wish to "clean up" the engine bay, and remove some things that aren't "needed" to run. Has anyone done so?

Pinter

D

Deleted member 8987

Re: E Type V12 PCV & Smog systems

Lots a luck. Remove the Positive Crankcase Ventilation and you'd better have a good plan for venting twelve piston's worth of crankcase backpressure.....then, there's the fuel system.....where the system is designed for the specific vacuum leak of the PCV.....
Get a BIG drip pan for your garage floor.
EVERY bit you remove, including nuts, bolts, clamps, hoses....save.

OP
P

Pinter

Freshman Member

I don't plan to completly remove the pcv system, maybe mod it to vent atmosphere threw a small K&N filter. I'm just looking to do away with the piping connected to it that runs to each carb, then down to the evap tank(or whatever that tank is). I will then run a new solo vac line down to the trans, as I know the current line for it runs off the above mentioned tank.

I'm really just hoping to get a better understanding for the systems and how they work. Then I'll be able to make an educated decision on what gets removed, replaced or modded. I just know theres alot of piping installed on the US spec cars, all in the name of emissions control.

-Pinter

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

Pinter - welcome to the forum. I am from Hunterdon but live elsewhere now. I keep my cars there though and have a 1972 V 12 E Type. Ran poorly until I had a lot of the vacuum hosing etc replaced. I don't think I would remove anything but would try to replace with new as time and funds allow. These cars are worth quite bit if unmolested.

Do you have any local garages doing any work for you?

Bruce

OP
P

Pinter

Freshman Member

Bruce, Thanks for the welcome. I am takin great care in removing parts, and have them tags & stored in my basement. I am working w/ a 71' w/ 28K orig miles.Family was orig owners. That being said, I understand the unmolested factor and am not removing anything that cannot be refitted or replaced. I have driven the car for a year w/ things the way they are,(car sat for 25+ years until april of 2010) and really don't have many issues. Just seems like when one arises, it's from the above mentioned systems.

As of now, I'm putting in all the wrench time on the car. Don't know my way around jags(hense the questions), but know my way around cars, I'm a tech for one of the dealers in flemington (german car brand).

-Pinter

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

Pinter - best of luck and hope to see you and your car sometime.

Bruce

OP
P

Pinter

Freshman Member

Bruce, Do you make it back around to Hunterdon County often? Seems like you have a nice collection of wheels.

-Pinter

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

I visit family for 3 weeks in June and usually a week or so end of October. I would like to be there more but can't get away that often. I try to catch as many car shows as weekends allow.

OP
P

Pinter

Freshman Member

Bruce Bowker said:
...have a 1972 V 12 E Type. Ran poorly until I had a lot of the vacuum hosing etc replaced.

I have replaced the PCV bung, screen & rubber cap, kept the attachment to all 4 carbs, but removed & capped the link pipe that runs to the "evap" canister, then onto the gas tank( I'm sure this line had cracks & leaks). The gulp valve was removed, but pipes left in placed, I capped the system off right under the throttle pedistal. I removed the belt, but left the air pump installed, removed the pipe that runs under the p/s manifold to feed the air injection, but left the air manifold that feeds all 12 in place. Again, just capped the 2 feeds @ the rear of the motor once the check valve was removed. I'm hoping to see a improvment in idel quality & stumble on acel, as most all the parts I had my hand on during this project were cracked, rotted, split, or soaked w/ oil. All has been removed or replaced.

Tonight I'll get a chance to start it up and take a run out for some ice cream.

-Pinter