• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Triple carb set-up

arbs_53

Hi everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif,
I finally received my triple carb set-up yesterday. The manifold and fuel line kit came from Goodparts- a beautifully machined aluminum part it is too- and the carbs came from someone I met on e-Bay who rebuilds carbs as a sideline. Actually, I sent him my two original carbs and he supplied a third of the same type (C3150). I don't know what he does or how he does it but I have never seen old carbs so clean and bright- micro-polished, he calls it. If you could have seen what they looked like before I sent them out, you would all be amazed. Anyways, looks like I will have some tinkering to do this weekend.

I am wondering, for those of you who have done this conversion, if there is anything I need to be aware of while hooking up the linkage. I haven't spent the time yet going over what I have for parts from Goodparts and what I had on hand to see how it all works together; so I was hoping a few of you could inform me as to what to expect. Thanks for your help, in advance.

G

Dave,
The instructions from Richard are pretty straight forward. The modification of the carb accelerator linkage can be a bit testy. I made a bend or two that seemed to fit my setup better. You will see what I mean when you get in there. I resorted to a much stronger throttle shaft return spring (the little spring right above the starter). Sometimes the triples will get a little balky and it is good to have a very aggressive spring to bring the throttle back to idle. Too, as you know, only have to choke the first and third carbs. Would be cool to have a triple choke but none out there. Are you using the cold air induction? I had it, didn't care for it. Big ugly. Resorted to three K&N 3" filters. Close fit but not a problem. Looks cooler to me. Is clearance a potential problem for your bonnet? What did Richard say? I had to drop the engine a few millimeters for the front cap on the ZS carb to clear, it rubbed. The engine mounts offer some leeway. Otherwise, glad I did it. I pulled the head off today to ship it off to be reworked. I am sending my carbs back to Gary Martin in South Dakota to have them re-reworked. A few issues that he will surely solve. I am gonna discuss changing the jets to allow me to get a leaner mixture if I want. I am blowing a lot of fuel and cannot get them as brown as I want. This is surely a carb issue.

Let us know how you do. It really is an easy install. You should complete in one day.

Bill