• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New project, triple carbs, micropolished complete

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Today I bit the bullet, after deciding that I deserved a combination birthday, Christmas and second childhood gift to myself and ordered this setup from Paltech Micropolishing. It should be here in 5-6 weeks and in plenty of time for the summer fun runs. Not sure what the bride will think of this project, but what can I say now? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Now if those darned bumpers would get finished at the platers....

3-25001.jpg

T

Tinster

You will NOT regret the investment.
Jeff is an artist when it comes to carbs.

Even the Crypt Car was unable to defeat
Jeff's carbs.

d

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Paul,

Do yourself a favor and purchase Ratco's throttle linkage... LIGHTYEARS ahead of modding the stock linkage.

I've got Jeff's carbs too, he's a class act with a good product.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Re: New project, triple carbs, micropolished compl

Thanks Shannon! I'll look into that right now.

Although, I thought that these would bolt right in with no mods to the stock linkage, which I'm buying from Jeff, powder coated and all setup as shown in the picture. I assumed (oh-oh) that I would bolt this in and hook up the stock lever from the throttle shaft. I guess not, so what is/are the difference(s) to overcome?

G

Hey Paul. Glad you are going with the trips. They are fun.
The linkage that is modified to work with the trips is sloppy at best. You loose a ton of reaction time and maybe 10% of total throttle. Ratco's cable linkage is slick and simple. I ran mine up between the first and second carbs, took a lot of slack out of the setup (not so much slack as extra cable to deal with).

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Bill or Shannon,

Could either of you guys, or both, snap a picture of your linkage and post it? I'll order a kit tomorrow.

In for a penny, in for a pound.........

See Dale, it really, really never ends.......

Thanks,

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Paul,

Here's mine. Unlike Bill my linkage is installed in between the #2 and #3 carbs, but there's enough cable supplied to do it however you want to. You really can't see it from the pic, but from the bracket attached to the firewall there's a braided cable that loops down under the #3 carb to attach to the bracket in-between the two rear carbs. The setup is fully adjustable and as you can see I've got just a hair of "slop" adjusted into mine (on purpose).

When you install/trim the supplied cable you just need to make sure that it's long enough that it won't bind when it's used (ask me how I know this). Other than that, it's a pretty straight forward install.

Ratco-Linkage.jpg

Harry_Ward

Jedi Knight
Country flag

It's gonna look real purty when it's done Paul. Real cold in the garage now though if that's where the wife gonna throw ya. Ya won't even be able to hide out at the golf course. I Guess go with Plan A by reminding her it's her car that's getting the improvement?

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Harry, I did hide on the course this morning, but she overheard me ordering a bunch of stuff from TRF when she came home this afternoon. I explained it all as the yearly maintenance and upgrades necessary to keeping the car safe, reliable and to help hold it's value.

Sure is gonna be cold out there tonight.......and tomorrow night...

Really though, no complaints from her yet. My wife is very understanding.....and forgiving, thank God!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Shannon, I guess that I'm a little confused, having not actually seen Bill's, but it looks as though the choke cable on your rear carb goes down directly in front of the new bracket. OK, so where does the cable go from the lever to get to the linkage point between the carbs? Is it under the rear carb or down behind it? Sorry, but I just can't make it out clearly.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Ok, I made a quick diagram of how the linkage works. If you look at the real pic of the linkage above, the silver bracket on the far left is labeled: "RatCo Firewall Bracket" on my diagram, again in the pic above, the big silver bracket in-between the #2 and #3 carbs is labeled: "RatCo Carb Bracket" on my diagram. (Both of RatCo's brackets are shown in red)

The braided RatCo cable is hooked to the OEM throttle shaft lever and is routed under the carbs and secured to the "RatCo Carb Bracket". The braided cable end is then pressed onto to EOM "bulb".

When you depress the throttle the Throttle shaft lever moves towards the back of the car, thus pulling the cable and causing the carb throttle to open.

Hopefully this makes more sense.

Ratco-Linkage%20Diagram.jpg

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Thanks Shannon. I just couldn't see where or how you got to the linkage between the two rear carbs, but now it's clear.

I assume (oh-oh, careful now) that because of the "pull back motion" the braided cable doesn't move, or if it does, there is no lost motion or affect on the linkage movement.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

The braided cable is attached to both of the ratco brackets on each end so you are correct, only the small cable inside the braided cable moves.

The reason that Bill moved the Ratco carb bracket between the #1 and #2 carbs is that he had a potential binding problem with the braided cable and the rather sharp bend required when you mount it between the #2 and #3 carbs.

I used a little more length on the cable to prevent this.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Dang Shannon, what program did you draw that up in?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Did you draw the carbs or where they in the directions for the linkage. I'm way impressed. I don't have Paint so just yesterday I downloaded Paint.net . Suppose to be a better program.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I drew them.. Not very complicated really. The top is a circle cut in half and then I just added three different sized rectangles to complete the carb. Copied and pasted it three times... voila! Triple carbs!

I've always drawn stuff like this growing up. I wanted to be an architect at one time, but somehow ended up in computer science.

davidk

Jedi Trainee

Is the Ratco cable conversion available for dual carbs? If so, from what vendor(s)?

Thanks, David K.

T

Tinster

Paul:

FWIW- the linkage on my carbs was in really
bad shape. When the carbs came back from Jeff
it looked like new linkage.

Other than minor adjustemts, Jeffs carbs were
bolt on and drive............

Unless your dizzy and two coils blow up like
Crypt Car!