• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR New Project...?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I got the bug to restore something. I'm afraid I won the bid on this...

HaVDkYp.jpg

vxlPg9L.jpg

pBiuPq7.jpg

It's a lot like the TR2, in that as soon as I got it I started wondering what I have done to myself! It's a 1940 Stearman that has an affinity for trees. It was pulled out of a tree-top 6 months ago...and had to be pulled out previously in 1966. Anyway, thought I'd let you guys know, since I may not visit as frequently for a while.

So, how will it look in BRG to match the TR2? I mean, it should match the trees better in that color, right??

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
congradulations, I know you will enjoy bringing it back to life. Maybe it found itself in the trees because you weren't the pilot or the mechanic checking it out before flight. I am sure you will document it just as well as the TR2. Enjoy the journey and keep us posted. Looking forward to hearing about the first flight. Frank

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Frank. I'm anticipating 3-5 years before it'll be flying again. Being a plane, the FAA requires a full account of the restoration before they'll issue an airworthiness certificate. I found a certified mechanic who will follow my progress...and most importantly...sign off my work officially. After 30 months of practical work and supervision I can take the Airframe and Powerplant exams and become a certificated mechanic myself. Something new. I'm afraid if I don't keep learning I'll wither away and die...

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That will keep you busy in all the best ways! Good on you for taking it on! Good luck and if you document it on-line, let us know where to find it.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Start with a engine stand that is self propelled. There should be a school close I did mine at the JC College in California.
Madflyer

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you think the TR2 is chilly in the cold weather, at least it has a roof and side screens no such luxuries in that beast, good luck better you than me.

Graham

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
John that is sooooooooooo cool. I think to myself sometimes what it not be fantastic to fly one of those old open air planes, and guess what you are doing it. John your talents are inspiring plus you got this man. How cool.

Best Steve

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Dope and fabric...just like the model planes I used to build as a kid. Just a whole lot more of it. If you learned to fly for the Army, Navy or Marines in and around WW2...this is the plane you started in. Not even a radio...the instructor yelled through a tube to the student.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Very Cool. Make sure to post some progress pictures here so we can follow along.

Cheers,
Tush

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Nice! All the best going forward. If you do decide to document it in a different forum, please let us know where to look.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I wasn't sure if car guys would find any interest in an old plane story. I guess a gear head is a gear head!

I will definitely post the progress. I am toying with even doing a Tush and starting a YouTube channel for it, but that is still to be determined. The problem added to doing an old plane is that it does have to meet all the FAA criteria. I am not allowed to work on it unless I am under the supervision of a certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic. I have found a nice retired A & P to watch over me and sign both my work and my time off. The technically just needs to tell me what to do, and then come back and inspect my work. After 30 months of "on the job" supervision, I am allowed to take the tests and become an A&P Certified Mechanic myself. So, late in my life it gives me something to work towards that should be worthwhile.

You're right, Bob. I got a little burned out after 5 years of TR2 work. I think this project is enough different to get my interest back up. I am sure there are at least a couple more cars in me before I pass on to the great garage in the sky!

For those interested...I have collected all the old Boeing, Army, and Navy overhaul manuals. Unlike cars, they are completely specific with materials, heat treating, and very detailed coating instructions. Even the smallest screw has a spec page on it including wear limitation and plating requirements! In 1946 this plane was sold to the civilian world, where it led a life of crop dusting all the way until the 1980's...very rough life. By 1958 it already had the lower wings replaced 5 times from "tree contact"! Once in the civilian jurisdiction, it falls under the FAA Airworthiness Certification...adding even more specs that must be met to keep it air worthy. Anything that differs even the slightest from the factory designs must be approved by the FAA. I have not touched a screw yet, as I continue to collect and study all the specs and requirements. It is important to do it right from the start, or the FAA will make you re-do the work until it is right.

I go the plane by low ball bidding at a government auction...actually cost about what I paid for my first TR3A. The TR3A ran, though.

Anyway...thanks all for the interest and support. I'll post occasional updates until I find a home for a proper thread or channel.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Definitely interested! Like the slot car tracks of user Brooklands, I enjoy living vicariously through the forum. A long time ago I had many dreams of building a Glasair II, having seen one at an airshow shortly after completing my private pilot license... but the practical realities of life kept me from doing it.