• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modifying the triple intake choke/throttle setup

G

The Goodparts triple intake setup is designed originally to accept the stock throttle linkage, which most of you know that run this setup is cumbersome at best. Many of us have switched over to the Ratco cable throttle with good success. Both the OE throttle and Ratco are connected to the carb throttle shaft between the second and third carbs and the stock double choke cable is connected to the first and third carb. I have found this to be cumbersome in that the Ratco cable gets put into a slight bind because of the fairly extreme angle the cable is curved into. I have moved my choke cables to the 2nd and 3rd carbs and moved the Ratco throttle to between the 1st and 2nd carbs. To do this, I had to cut part of the choke arm off the 1st carb for the throttle to work without binding, which it will do. And, I shortened the longest choke cable by cutting about 6" off it and adding a stop on that cable as well, so now both cables have stops to prevent over-choking or attempting such.
Cutting the choke wound-steel sheath I accomplished using a very thin dental diamond wheel and very, very carefully cut through the coil till it neatly separated, slid off the excess sheath and appropriately shortened the actually choke wire. The result is a somewhat neater setup, no binding, and less choke wires sticking up in the air. Note too that the little chrome sleaves that are at the end of choke cables are there only to act as stops for the little wire stops. These are little crimpable brass sleeves that I crimped and soldered to the wire (quickly so as not to overheat the wire). The only part that might be a challenge for the rest of you is acquiring the diamond cut-off disc, and the $1000 Foredom variable-speed dental bench engine (used at very low rpm) to do this. Part of my trade finally paid off.
Note also that those little chromed caps at the end of the choke cables were not intended to be clamped down with the stock spring-steel clips atop the carbs. The cable is plenty strong enough to be clipped somewhere on the plastic sheathed part of the cable. Attempting to clamp over the end of the cable, over this end cap, will cause the clips to shatter. Trust me, the new replacement clips are junk compared to OE. I have broken four of them trying this. Dave at TRF scrounged some used OE ones for me and have yet to break these. Besides, the choke cable won't work at this length if clamped at the sleeve. You will lose a lot of choking ability.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
How did you get the car to sit on the dental chair?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I can't believe that you did your auto/doctorial thesis on this without one lousy picture to show this fine work off.

OP
G

Re: Modifying the triple intake choke/throttle set

TR6oldtimer said:

Trust me, it wasn't easy. And, I <span style="font-weight: bold">did</span> sterilize the diamond disc before reusing it on a patient, in my steam autoclave.

OP
G

Brosky said:
I can't believe that you did your auto/doctorial thesis on this without one lousy picture to show this fine work off.

A thousand words is worth a picture.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Actually, I have a new choke cable sitting at home. I would like to know how much you took off of each cable so I could experiment with that one while have my current one as working spare in case something goes wrong.

Or vice/versa.

My choke binds on closing only, first carb issue, and is stiff to pull out all of the time, even though I soaked it with 3 in 1 oil prior to installation.

I have no issues at all with the Ratco cable, so I really don't want to change that.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR6oldtimer said:
I'm guessing Nitrous.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, it is a gas..........

The question is, was the car happy when it was there?

tom628

Brosky said:
Actually, I have a new choke cable sitting at home. I would like to know how much you took off of each cable so I could experiment with that one while have my current one as working spare in case something goes wrong.

Or vice/versa.

My choke binds on closing only, first carb issue, and is stiff to pull out all of the time, even though I soaked it with 3 in 1 oil prior to installation.

I have no issues at all with the Ratco cable, so I really don't want to change that.

Paul, I think part of the problem is that, especially with the triple ZS, we're working against the combined 3 return springs plus the accel. pedal spring as the choke cables attempt to open the throttles onto the fast idle setting. I've found it helpful to depress the accel. pedal part way when pulling out the choke. Takes the spring loads off, and the cable pulls much easier.

Tom

OP
G

It is very handy to look at Nelson Riedel's articles, thankfully preserved in the BCF WIKI, on setting up and tuning a ZS carb. The hint about using a 5/16" drill bit as a guide is priceless when it comes to spacing the choke/throttle adjustment. A small amount of white lube helps against the bolt face here but Tom is right, ya gotta slightly depress the go pedal to relieve the bind, otherwise you will be replacing a choke cable before it's time. Using the Ratco throttle cable, the accelerator return spring has no affect on the throttle return, just the foot pedal return. We all used to use the top of our toes to get the idle down a bit on the OE throttle linkage; not doable with the Ratco cable. Paul, rerouting the choke cables to the 2nd and 3rd carbs has lessened this binding, for me anyway.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I grew up with manual choke carbs and I've know about and posted the pedal depress routine in the past, so that's not any of my problem. Mine is in the rear carb and it's binding closed about 1/4 for some reason when you go to push the cable in. Coming out is no problem.

Thanks for the tip Bill. I've tried first & second and first and third, but never second and third. Might be a good project for Saturday morning.

And I did print Nelson's articles (all three) a while back and put them into clear plastic sheet protectors in a binder, so that they are easily read and not damaged by oily hands while working on the carbs.

OP
G

Brosky said:
Thanks for the tip Bill. I've tried first & second and first and third, but never second and third.

A good place to be, 2 men in scoring position, especially if it is the bottom of the 9th and no one out.

Does the choke seem to bind without the cable attached? You might have a kinked cable (pulling it out is a lot easier than pushing it in. <span style="font-size: 8pt">please don't read into this</span>)

My cables were ready to break. The innards of these things is pretty skimpy, especially the after-market junk.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Yeah, this is a replacement cable and I'm not sure if it binds when in the free state or not (at this time). It didn't three years ago when I did the engine compartment over because I hung it from the knob to the floor in my vise and added a few squirts of 3 in 1 oil and let it sit over night until it dripped out the other end and it was very smooth at that time.

Well, maybe it was more than a "few" squirts, but you get my drift.

tom628

Paul, ISTR having a similar problem a while back, and I believe the housing around the cables, where they attach to the knob,was loose and moved rather than the cable moving thru full travel.

Tom

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Thanks Tom.

I'll check that out as well. Was it repairable or did you have to replace the cable?

tom628

Paul: I was able to repair it. ISTR it was easy, like crimping it tighter, but, sorry, it's a little foggy now.(creeping cerebral antiquity).

Tom

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

There were two problems. Needed helper to see the problems.

One. the clamp was not tight on the rear carb and the cable was slipping. It was very slight and hard to notice until someone sat in the car and pulled and pushed the cable while I watched the chokes moving.

Two, the fast idle adjustment on the front carb was adjusted too far in, giving me a faster idle than desired, but causing a bind going in and out. I used the 5/16's drill adjustment on both and now it pulls out and pushes back in very easily and smoothly.

tom628

Glad you got it sorted out Paul. Sometimes the little things can drive you nuts.

Tom

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I am too Tom. My wife hated the binding choke.

All I heard was "all of this money spent on the engine and the choke won't work like it used to???"