• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exhaust system

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Dumb question number ?...
I'm in the process of installing the exhaust system on my bugeye and it's 2" diameter from the headers to the muffler. The pipe runs under the car with about 1" to 1.5" of clearence, goes under the rear axle and into the muffler. In this installation I'm using the full size Harley muffler and the main pipe hits the axle (car on jackstands) when the muffler is pulled up into position. Is this an issue when the car is on the ground or do I need to have the main pipe bent up at the pipe to muffler joint? If I have the pipe bent up the muffler will become a small rain barrel and collect water. I guess another option is to have the pipe with a u bend under the axle, but that just doesn't seem right. Thoughts and ideas?
Thanks, Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Stock pipe ran under the axle. My current exhaust (1-3/4") has plenty of clearance.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Are the jack stands under the axle, or is the axle hanging? If it's hanging, it might be close, but when the weight is on the axle, it should be OK. You should also have limit straps in the rear, which probably would hold the axles up enough, even if it is hanging.

Attachments

• 25229.jpg
    25229.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 248
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks guys. My Harley muffler is longer than stock and the picture that Sarastro posted shows the bend I need to put the muffler closer to the underside of the car. Mine is a straight pipe all the way to the muffler and if I make the pipe any longer I'll have 10 to 12 inches of muffler sticking out the back. I may have to go to a pro to get the proper bend and mount. Any other suggestions?
Thanks, Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I went to a local muffler shop and they custom bent and fit a pipe and muffler from my header back. Simple and cheap, and they had the proper tools and know-how to get it done.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew,
I think that's the way to go. I stopped by my local shop with the Harley muffler and had it welded to a full legnth (7.5 ft) piece of pipe and cut it off when I got home. The angle of the muffler left it really low to the ground and I need them to bend it enough so it clears the axle and comes out higher without a sharp upward angle. My first attempt cost a total of $30 for the pipe, swaging, and welding. I have $20 in two near new Harley mufflers so I'm not out a lot.
Thanks, Rut

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
This set up tucks nicely. Pro could do the bends. Top
of muffler has a bracket to attach to car. Stainless steel is nice. It IS too loud but I think it flows pretty good.
I sometimes think I'll swap out that ss rear muffler for something quieter. Now, it's not holding back squat so far as I can tell. :wink:
The straight cut, close ratio box helps hide the exhaust noise.
:devilgrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsN2v5QvKU

Any competent muffler shop could do this job.

Attachments

• 25232.jpg
    25232.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 25233.jpg
    25233.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 193
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
David, thanks for the reply and pictures. That's the type of bend I need, but closer to the axle so the Harley muffler won't be hanging a foot out the back. I can't make up my mind if I want the exhaust to exit in the original location or closer to the gas tank. From the looks of things I think I might need a pretty tight S bend to clear the axle AND get closer to the bottom of the car.
Thanks again, Rut

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Rut said:
David, thanks for the reply and pictures. That's the type of bend I need, but closer to the axle so the Harley muffler won't be hanging a foot out the back. I can't make up my mind if I want the exhaust to exit in the original location or closer to the gas tank. From the looks of things I think I might need a pretty tight S bend to clear the axle AND get closer to the bottom of the car.
Thanks again, Rut

Hope it helps. I'd get the muffler properly positioned and work back.
For the record: That black stuff is rubber
debris from CMP...not oil. I swear. Now the
front is a different story.
:jester:

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Those SCCR's do sing don't they.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
leecreek said:
Those SCCR's do sing don't they.

Yep....but they are stout and man-o-man I dig those ratios
on a twisty tight road. In the right circumstances it's like soul music from ol Mimi for my ears.
:driving:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The only prob is that it is so quick between 2 and 6K that the song is not near long enough.