• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Exhaust System Recommendations Sought

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My 1960 TR3A came with an aftermarket exhaust whose sound I don't like. I'm looking for recommendations for a new exhaust system. Thanks.

Leatherman

Country flag
That is a question your going to half to answer yourself by listening to other cars then decide on one you like and find out what system it has. You will find some people like the raspy growl you get with a cherry bomb muffler that you can hear coming at you on the street while others like the low sports car hum that isn’t too loud that you can enjoy a conversation with a passenger. I bought the stainless steel system from TRF for my TR3A and am quite pleased with the sound. It has a nice deep sports car hum / growl but not too loud you can still talk to a passenger. As a friend told me today when I took him for a ride, he said the exhaust tone sounded like the car had a bigger engine.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I like the Moss Tourist Trophy stainless exhaust and have it installed. You can listen to it online. I think it has the right "British sports car sound."

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for reminding me about Moss's videos. I just listened to their Tourist Trophy and it does sound good.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The exhaust system that came with my TR3A kit of parts was a Stainless Steel system from The Roadster factory. It has a very quiet exhaust sound but a pleasant note to my ears.
I worked on a TR3B a couple of months ago and that had a Monza brand free flow system and that sounded loud to me. So loud I had issues determining if there was an exhaust leak. The TR3B did sound good at a distance but may have been a bit much on a long drive.

David

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
I had the original type single muffler with a straight pipe to the back. It was much too loud. I found a used double, chrome-tipped outlet and added it, that helped a bit. I finally added a Motorcycle baffle just ahead of the outlet. As one famous woman said, "it was now just right." Solution was cheap, easy to install and they come in many sizes and shapes.
Good luck!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My TR2 in the UK back in the late 1960s had the single muffler and it was loud. At night my Mother said she could hear my car as I turned off the main road about 2 miles away. I could not sneak home late with the TR.

David

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I agree with sp53, I like the stock exhaust and had trouble finding one. The plain steel manifold pipe I got from one of the big suppliers was very poorly made with crimped curves and it didn't fit. The plain steel muffler from the same source was fine.
I found a NOS manifold pipe (it had a JC Whitney label on it!) nicely made and fit perfectly. I diverged from stock with a Thrush resonator, in homage to the ones I always used in the 60s and it gives a bit of a distinctive tone but not too loud.
I've nothing against the stainless systems but they are rather expensive and would look like lipstick on a pig on my old driver. I'm not young at all and with my good weather summer driving I think the plain steel will out last me.
Tom

Rolled1

Freshman Member
Country flag
Of no help now*, but a half-century ago, my 1957 TR3A was fitted with an Abarth exhaust assembly. In my memory it was never harsh or raucous. it had a deep, melodious burble at cruise and a satisfying bellow at full throttle , the Pavarotti of exhausts. I made several 300+ mile top down trips to West Texas, and retained my hearing.

*Having written the above, before posting, I searched “Abarth exhaust systems” and found new, old stock Abarth exhausts are being sold from the Netherlands!
A TR3 system is still available (at a quite a price). There’s also a cockpit-view video that sounds (on my iPad) very near as I remember.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks, but I've actually come to appreciate the sound of my exhaust. There's never any drone, it's never too loud or too soft so I'm happy eith it, after all.

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I put a Bell system on my car. It is polished stainless steel and is configured with muffler and resonator, same as original. It has the same sound as OEM equipment. Fitment was easy and looks very pleasing on the car. I bought it from one of the performance/restoration shops in England and price was not unreasonable.
IMG_3223.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG

Joel Lester

Country flag
As stated - it's a personal preference. But me? Well, I like loud and mean. My TR3 is black with TR6 black wheels (fat tires) and I want it to sound deep and mean! so I put in a measly little 8 inch Cherry bomb! It only cost about $60 bucks and I was able to get some two inch exhaust pipe from Canadian tire and put it together for cheap.

cherry bomb 2.jpg

Attachments

• Cherry bomb 1.jpg
    Cherry bomb 1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 41
OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
As stated - it's a personal preference. But me? Well, I like loud and mean. My TR3 is black with TR6 black wheels (fat tires) and I want it to sound deep and mean! so I put in a measly little 8 inch Cherry bomb! It only cost about $60 bucks and I was able to get some two inch exhaust pipe from Canadian tire and put it together for cheap.

View attachment 86295
For a car with barely 100HP that looks like a toy compared to cars of today, looking "mean" is pretty much an oxymoron. When I was a kid with my first TR3 in 1964, I shared those sentiments but in all honesty, these cars can barely get out of their own way as Yarises can smoke them from a standing start LOL