• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A exhaust system options

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I believe my car came from the factory with the 3 muffler system (dual tailpipes), though when I got it, it only had the front muffler (though not much of that was left!). Soon after I had a muffler shop replace the front muffler with a y-pipe, and add two glass pack mufflers in the back.

When I did the frame-off restoration, I installed the single muffler system. I'd like to go back to the dual tail pipes, but I don't want to install the front muffler, as I have my O2 sensor in the front y-pipe, and I just had it ceramic coated.

My long term plan was to have a custom system installed from the y-pipe back, but I found this on the local Craigslist for a good price:

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2184320626.html

I'm considering using just the two rear mufflers and the pipe from the front to rear mufflers, but I'm wondering how loud it might be. When I had just the glass packs in back before, it was a bit loud, and now that I'm older (and hopefully a bit wiser), I might want something a bit quieter. Does anyone have just the stock rear mufflers on their car, or heard one set up that way?

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Darrell I will be interested to hear what you come up with. My dual system only had the front muffler and as you might guess sounded terrible. I also converted to the single system, mainly wanting to get rid of the muffler under the cockpit. I am not especially happy with the tone but it's better than too loud. I've wondered about just changing the muffler or.. those dual pipes do look cool.

V

vagt6

For what it's worth, guy, if you're looking to tweak power, the single, straight exhaust is the way to go.

David Vizard figured this out about 40 years ago, and so did Kas Kastner.

I must admit that the stock, dual silencer system sounded fabulous. One of the best sounding of any Triumph, IMHO.

Please let us know what you decide, and where you got the system. :thumbsup:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Darryl-

Looks like you have a pretty good deal there. I say bolt it up and see how it goes - the early TR2/3 setups had probably less sound muffling in their exhaust systems.

Randy

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I used to have just the two rear mufflers, but they were Monza mufflers, and not stock. That setup was so loud that it regularly would set off car alarms. I added a midpipe silencer from one of the big three and am much happier with the sound. It is still a bit loud, but doesn't set off car alarms anymore!

I plan to upgrade to a Falcon stainless setup someday.

PeterK

Yoda
Mine hasn't run yet. For my 4A, I have Moss TriumphTune 4-2 split header that fits a Falcon SS dual system. Instead of the front Falcon muffler, I have a front y-pipe from a 4A single muffler system, then to the intermediate y into dual Falcon mufflers. All is ss except the header which is JetHot ceramic coated inside and out.

There's a guy around here with similar setup and his is a little barky when he steps on it but otherwise it has the right sound.

I haven't heard mine but if too loud, I will consider fitting something up front in between the 2 y's.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
All, this is the same system I have on the TR6, minus the front muffler. Just so you know, the "Y" pipe will have to be bent about 2 inches down on each side and one side pulled in a bit. Not a big problem for a shop.
The sound is what Triumph would have loved to have on the TR6. If you can get the shop to weld a hanger off the cross member it makes the job look professional. Mine come out at center about 10 inches apart.

Wayne

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Darrell,

Not sure about eliminating the front muffler and using just the original twin rear mufflers, but I did that using Ansa twin rear mufflers and didn't think the end result was too loud.

Note that at least with the Ansa system which came with the rear Y-pipe and the 2 rear mufflers, the front Y-pipe from the single TR4A muffler system replaces the front muffler perfectly. Also, at least my second TR4A came with hangers present for both systems so no modifications necessary.

I've got a brand new Ansa system in my basement ready for the second TR4A so I'm set for it. Unfortunately, my original TR4A will need a new exhaust system and I don't believe Ansa still makes them any more. I really liked the look of the 4 chrome tips. :frown:

Scott