• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Moss exhaust system????

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
Has anyone bought a moss stainless steel exhaust system for a BJ8 and did you encounter many problems putting it on? I'm thinking of ordering this week and thought I should see what you all think. Thanks for your help.
Bobby R

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bobby R
I installed the Moss system on my BJ8 with all the attachment brackets. I think I counted 29 bolts to attach the entire system. Although pricy I would recommend all three attachment parts. The entire system fit very well. Have a good day!

John

Country flag
FWIW, I've always felt SS mufflers were an unnecessary expense on Healeys. Our cars aren't driven on salted roads, and not (usually) for quick trips to the corner QuickStop (which causes water to condense inside). However, due to the minimal clearance Healey mufflers get beat all to heck, and SS doesn't help that (may even be harder to repair than mild steel, which is easier to weld). I had an Ansa system on my BJ8 for over 15 years and rust was never an issue; the fiberglass packing was gone and I stitched in some glasspacks, but the pipes were in perfect shape (except where they'd been scraped).

Note Denis Welch doesn't sell SS headers or mufflers, due to "resonance."

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bob,
I'll go out on a limb here and say I think the resonance comes from thinner walled tube than the material. When I made my SS exhaust, I used the same thickness that you'd find in a good mild steel system. I have no problems with resonance. That being said, finding a pre-made system with thicker tubing might be akin to searching for hens teeth.

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
Bob
I'm sure by now (ten years of use) I too am missing some fiberglass from my Moss muffler. How do you "stitch in some glass packs"?
Thanks
Jim

Country flag
Hi Jim,

I bought some generic glasspack mufflers ("Heartthrob" brand--very good quality) from good ol' JC Whitney. I think I got 18" for the front and 12" for the rear (each had 3" of pipe on each end). Then, I cut the old mufflers out in place--one at a time--with a sawzall and trimmed the new mufflers to fit. I tack-welded the new mufflers in place with a MIG, with some crosspieces where necessary, then removed the whole system to finish weld (you can leave the brackets in place and unbolt the harness at the chassis).

It's a bit louder and raspier than a stock system but, surprisingly, it's quieter at highway speeds than the Ansa. Unfortunately, I'm not a good welder (yet) and had some leaky welds. I've sealed these up with epoxy paste for now, but plan to remove and re-weld the seams with a TIG (good excuse to buy a TIG :wink:. I also welded in an H-pipe in front of the front mufflers, and used some store-bought muffler pipe to fashion an extension with chrome tips. I call my creation "Frankenmuffler."

Alternatively, you could cut some sections out of your muffler and stuff some more fiberglass in there, then re-weld the section back on (you could probably do this with the car up on jackstands). Not sure what kind of fiberglass you'd want to use, but what was left in the Ansa looked like the plain old household insulation type.

TimK

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
My 27 year-old Monza exhaust has always been loud and has never rusted. Of course I don't drive it in the rain or snow, nor very much at all -- about 7,000 miles in those 27 years.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well I agree a SS exhaust system is going to ring. The majority of the resonance problems reside with the mufflers, and as said earlier thin sheet metal material.Some of the systems come with Round mufflers which IMOP are the worst. Physical damage to the outer skin causes it to stretch heat causes it to enlarge even more. Now the baffles in side are now free to flap back and forth. The oval mufflers produce a similar problem but to a lesser degree. The diameter and length of the pipes should not add much to the overall noise problem and replacing the SS mufflers with steel ones may eliminate it all together.However, in spite of their cost each has his own preference and thats how it should be---Fwiw--Keoke

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
I installed the Bell stainless. Excelleeent... sounds great. Went on well. From reports I have read, the Bell sounds better than the Moss. I went with 64 straight exhaust on my BJ8. Sounds almost as quiet at a stock BJ8 without all the extras hanging under the trunk.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes Andy we have had nothing but good karma regarding the Bell System I think if you are going to spend that kind of money get the best you can find.Based on reports here on the forum Bel is one of the best.I had one on one of my cars made in Canada and it is not worth sod, in spite of the vendors claimed computer controlled mandrels for making it--Keoke

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I think you'll like the sound of the SS better than the original. I've used both, the SS is louder on the highway but quieter around town. The original type is louder around town and quieter on the highway imo. Both will separate when drug on pavement and will be sporting a glob of epoxy cement.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
FIAT!! WOT! Get outta here--Keoke- :lol:

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Had a stainless system on my BJ8 from Healey Surgeons...no problems for 11 years....Condensation did build up in my rear mufflers when I had regular steel,,,they barely lasted two to three years;...My motto is always get the best.. Istallation was easy!

Pete

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
There are a couple of dealers in the US that stock the Bell exhaust. It might have been 30% more than Moss, but it was reasonable.

Andy65

Jedi Hopeful
There are a couple of dealers in the US that stock the Bell exhaust. I seem to recall it was reasonable, about 25% more than Moss.

B

BUNDYRUM

zblu,

I don't remember the exhaust note on a Fiat 124 as being something to get excited about and make me want to put the muffler on a Healey. I do remember the other good things about it though especially as it was 1600cc (1608cc to be exact).

Keoke,

I can understand your consternation regarding Fiat. Unfortunately you may have only experienced a US spec (i.e smogged) car. Those of us that had to put up with a European spec car feel differently about them. everyone to their own.

GregW,

I also built my own system for my BN1 and the pipe and muffler were both 16g. I remember that because of the struggle to make the ends meet of the oval muffler in one piece in the sheetmetal rollers.

Regards,

bundyrum.

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
BUNDYRUM,
The 124 was an odd displacement, 1.8L from memory, and I only used the rear muffler, was a straight flow thru from memory dressed in chrome

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
BUNDYRUM said:
I also built my own system for my BN1 and the pipe and muffler were both 16g. I remember that because of the struggle to make the ends meet of the oval muffler in one piece in the sheetmetal rollers.
Formed your own mufflers eh? That's cool. Did you system have that ringing sound these other guys are talking about?

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello zblu,

The 124 I was talking about was the coupe and it came in 3 versions. The first was the AC which was 1400cc and had single headlights.
The 2nd was the BC which was 1600cc and the first to have 4 headlights.
The 3rd was the CC which was 1800cc had 4 headlights but a different grille than the BC.
The BC came with twin 40mm downdraft Webers.

GregW,

I never noticed any ringing sound. I put 2 baffles in it as well.

Regards,

bundyrum.