• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Moss alternator kit

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
As I plumb the depths of my so called 1960 TR3A .... latest discovery is that it had an early wiring harness, and a very early generator..I wonder what maniac had scrapped this together.
One solution offered is to use the Moss alternator kit. At the risk being the perfect "complete fool" ( see previous alternator thread) I am thinking of using it.

it seems a bit costly but might be perfect for my state of folly.Has anyone tried it or have comments?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have the Delco 10si conversion done in my 1960 and really like it. I kept the wide belt and didn't go with the narrow belt conversion. Good upgrade.

Cheers
Tush

trglory

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I made the conversion with a kit I bought from British Wiring. I also kept the wide belt. If you want to save a few bucks, you might want to check their kit here.

https://www.britishwiring.com/category-s/250.htm

With all the new power, I was able to install halogen headlights, a set of driving lights and a few other electrical upgrades. I'm very pleased with the results.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
As I plumb the depths of my so called 1960 TR3A .... latest discovery is that it had an early wiring harness, and a very early generator..I wonder what maniac had scrapped this together.
What's the commission number? Could be an earlier car that wasn't first sold and titled until 1960. TS60001 was the big breaking point, especially for things such as the wire harness and other related electrical system changes. And by "very early generator," do you mean the Lucas C39 PV2 with screw-on connectors rather than the late C40 with "Lucar" terminals?

One other thing: why do you need a "solution"; what is the actual problem? Generators can be rebuilt and will generally give long and faithful service so long as you haven't added two fog and two driving lights and a killer stereo system, etc.!

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
you are right to ask what is the problem. It is me! i'm sorry I have never posted the full history.
The body is 60014, but the dynamo has the removable band, and bolts of the C39, and the dash is also very early, so much so that it has a leather(?) centre rather than black wrinkle paint that would be appropriate, Gauges are all nut and bolt rather than spade connections. Etc. but of course my new harness is al spade fittings. I have a regulator with spade fittings, but it may not have come with the car. I have not checked the dynamo other than to note worn brushes and frayed insulation.
If it works, as it should, it would be adequate even with halogen headlights ( controlled by relays).
It boils down to the certain simplicity of Moss's alternator if it fits and works as advertised, or another brand, with apparently more hassle.

Thank you for your replies. I shall have to think a bit more.
michael

thechileman

Jedi Hopeful
I use the Moss kit on my TR4. I assume it is the same for yours. Easy install, everything fit. I kept the wide belt. Worth the extra dollars for me. Nothing to figure out.

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
thank you. I shall put off any decision. too cold to think straight even on the warm left Coast. As of now i shall check the dynamo and maybe the regulator: if in order keep, if not scrap and convert. keeping the wide belt will save trouble too.

good to know it does indeed work as advertised.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
My general rule is to leave VB, Moss, et al. for the things you can't get anywhere else. They will be way too expensive for the other things. That goes especially for the alternator conversion.

You can do an alternator conversion for not much more than the cost of the alternator, less than $100. The other $250 you spend at Moss if for their "engineering," which any ordinary guy can do. I don't think it's worth it.

Here's how I did the alternator conversion on my 1960 Sprite. It's not a TR, of course, but the principles are the same, and the wiring is identical. If you do a little internet searching, you can find types of alternators that fit the TR well; there is a GM one and I've seen some others.

https://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/alternator/

The big advantage of having a modern alternator is not only the greater capacity, but it will keep the battery much better charged and the system voltage will be rock steady. Furthermore, modern regulators balance the load much better; your ammeter will sit at zero all the time.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...The big advantage of having a modern alternator is not only the greater capacity, but it will keep the battery much better charged and the system voltage will be rock steady...

I suppose another advantage of finding your own is that you can get one from your FLAPS that has a life-time nationwide guarantee. At least that is how I have it on my non-British old car. More than once while travelling I have swapped out a failed alternator in the store's parking lot.