• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Exhaust system ideas NOW WITH A PICTURE !!!!!

roofman

Jedi Knight
I need a new exhaust system for my 72 tr6. Everyone seems to have an ansa or monza , and I want to do something different without changing that glorious exhaust tone too much. I have been thinking of a look like on a boxster with the single pipe in the center.Has anybody done that? How did it sound? Or, any other ideas?

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Re: TR6 Exhaust system ideas

I think you need to get away from the back of the car with the conventionalOEM and after market systems or you will get fumes in the passinger area. I hope you will be inventive and preserve the fine TR6 tone while eliminating the stinking, unhealthy funes.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I added the JetHot coated Pacesetter headers and made a great sound even better. Exhaust is stock from there back.

Driveway 011 (Custom).jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Hey Shannon! That reminds that you were going to post the final pics of the newest mufflers after the changeover from the previous set that you were not happy with, soooooo, where are they?

R6MGS

Yoda

I think the way Shannon has the dual mufflers with quad outlets like that is the only way to go on a TR6...Anything else won't look right. Even the OE system looks odd to me, even though thats what I had on mine.

G

I went Moss header + Stock stainless.
I liked it a lot last year - when it ran...

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

At a car show last year I saw a tr6 that had the dual pipes go into a flowmaster type muffler that had a dual inlet for the pipes on one side and a single larger ( 2 - 2 1/2") outlet pipe and it camreout in the center of the car like a boxster. Looked great, but never got to hear the car run.

Musicman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Roofman,

If you love that original exhaust sound then stick with a stock muffler. Just my 2 cents.

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

Thanks for the imput, now to decide.......

jerrybny

Jedi Knight

I have the original exhault on mine. I love the sound of it. I'd rather spend my money on other stuff. Just my 2 cents worth even though the wife will on;y give me a penny for my thoughts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

R6MGS

Yoda

The original has a great sound....My car with original exhasut sounded better than most I have heard with aftermarket systems....But I guess it all depends on your preferances....I like the look of the aftermarket systems much better.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker

Hi,

Probably the most common complaint about Monza/Pacesetter systems is that their painted mild steel doesn't last particularly long, tends to rust out pretty quickly. I've also heard a number of them on various cars and they might be a bit louder than some other systems. On the other hand, they are less expensive than most other systems, particularly any stainless steel.

Now, to be fair, mild steel construction is probably adequate for a daily driver where the system is used a lot and very regularly blown clear of any condensation and caustic exhaust gas chemicals. It's far more likely a mild steel system will rot out quickly on a car that's only driven occasionally, sits alot between uses. Of course, driving conditions play a big role, too: ambient humidity, how the car is stored, if salt is used on local roads in Winter or if you are situated near saltwater, etc.

Don't know much about the Ansa system, but have heard good things about it.

For TR6 you should also find Bell and Falcon exhaust systems. I don't know much about Bell, but have heard really good things about it, too. I have used Falcon on other cars (so far, not on TR6).

AFAIK, all Falcon are stainless steel (made in England) and come in two varieties: stock style and sport. In all likelihood, one of these is this is what you'll get if you purchase a stainless steel system from the major U.S. Triumph parts vendors. Most sell the stock style. One or two also offer the sport system, which has slightly larger ID pipes and a freer flowing muffler (perhaps a single muffler instead of a muffler/resonator combo as was original on many TRs), and no doubt will be a bit louder. Most recently I found a Falcon sport system for my TR4 was easy to install, bolted right up to the stock hangers. My one relatively minor gripe is that the exhaust pipes are not mandrel bent, so see a little crushing at each inside radius (OTOH, the Falcon header obviously is mandrel bent and so has nice, smooth bends throughout). The only clearance issue I had was with one of my own frame strengthening modifcations that got a little in the way of the pipe right after the header collector.

Are you planning to install a header? If so, again there are a couple major types. They come with long or short primary tubing, which is one of a the main considerations for header tuning purposes. The shorter type primary headers are cometimes called "Tri-Y" (for a 6-cyl. car) or "6-3-1" since the primaries are first paired into secondary tubes, then three of those gather into the collector. The longer primary type are sometimes called "6-1" and have all six primaries "bundled" and curved to end together the collector.

In a nutshell, long primary headers will give the highest HP at upper rpms, and might be considered "race" headers. This is at the expense of some low to mid range torque. The shorter primary type might be more appropriate for street use, preserving or even improving lower to mid rpm torque.

Of the headers I'm familiar with by brand, Stahl and Pacesetter are long primary type (6-1 and 4-1) and are made of mild steel, and Falcon's stainless steel are short (6-3-1 and 4-2-1). Not sure about Bell and Ansa, but hopefully this gives you a means of comparison.

Of course, headers also come in two materials: stainless and mild steel. Stainless is more durable in high temps and can even be wrapped with insulating "header wrap" to help reduce temperatures under the hood. The wrap also increases scavangeing by keeping heat inside the header, producing higher gas flow speeds which can help the engine "breathe". Mild steel will not hold up under the wrap, so might better be ceramic coated for all the same reasons.

Thanks to their thinner tubing, headers will tend to be noisier than the stock cast manifold (which really isn't a bad performer, by the way). Wrapping or ceramic coating will both help offset this to some degree.

Also, most "hotter" performance mods done in an engine will also increase exhaust noise levels, no matter what manifold and exhaust systems are used.

On the inline 4 cyl. and 6 cyl. TRs a single pipe exhaust system such as you are considering is generally a bit more effective, in terms of torque and HP throughout the rpm range, than is a dual exhaust system. However, not to rain on your parade, but take a close look under the rear of your car and I think you'll find clearance issues with the frame if you try to bring the pipe out the very center "Boxster style". Off to one side or the other there is a bit more room to tuck pipes and muffler up underneath the car.

One thing to be careful about is getting too large piping in an exhaust system. 2, 2.125 or 2.25 ID are about as large a single pipe as a street car can handle, also somewhat dependent upon the general tune of the engine (smaller for more mildly tuned engines, larger for those with a lots of performance upgrades). Larger pipe might increase HP at high rpm, but will tend "gut" low end torque in the process, making the car less fun to drive on the street, in traffic.

Another possibility is to get an exhaust system fabricated locally. More and more shops are bending and welding up excellent stainless steel systems at competitive prices and there is a wider than ever variety of good quality mufflers being made. You might at least get a quote, for comparison, if you are considering stainless steel. There are some added features you might consider when building a system like this. For example, AFAIK, none of the off-the-shelf systems include a flex fitting up near the header. This sort of fitting is a good thing to include if at all possible since it isolates the manifold or header from heavy vibrations and strains that can crack it eventually.

Perhaps some of the best Triumph exhaust systems are being made up by Revington TR in England. You might take a look at those in a catalog or online, even if not considering buying one and having it shipped over. Neil has done a lot of homework on pipe sizes and mufflers. He also uses spring connectors with slip joints and skid plates to help the system survive rough rally driving, all of which can be very helpful on street cars, too.

On any of these systems you can add dual exhaust tips for styling purposes or just simple extensions if you find exhaust fumes are being drawn into the car.

Hope this helps with all your decisions.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

I went with the TR4 Dual mufflers and had the "Y" pipe bent down to fit. My TR6 is a '70 with single pipe from the header so the "Y" came in handy. The sound is as good as it gets and I have been around these cars for 40 years and the best part was the results in the performance with the free flow system. Wayne

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

Thank you Alan, very helpfull information

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

My two cents....I've had Ansas on my TR-6's for (surprise to me) over 20 years. The current system is going on 18 years which is not a testimony to quality, but more to the fact I keep the car from moisture. If it's a Sunday driver, any exhause will last a long time. The Ansa in my opinion sounds deeper and less tinny than the Pacesetter, Monza, or Falcon. Also, the Ansa's pipes are not as large in dia as the Monza which I feel don't look proportionate. Also, the Monza hangs too low. With the Ansa snug up high and tight, it just looks right. New Ansas out of the box are loud, but once the fiberglass gets packed with a bit of carbon, they smooth out nicely. I bought my first pair in 1980 for around $120. My, how the times have changed. Whatever you decide, post photos for us to drool over.

Ab Crevoiserat

Jedi Hopeful

Falcon Stanless Steel, Easy to fit and a nice throaty sound. I love it. A little louder than the stock muffler but not nearly as loud as the Monza.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight

Roofman:
Have you formed any ideas that will keep the fumes out of the passinger compartment?

G

[ QUOTE ]
Roofman:
Have you formed any ideas that will keep the fumes out of the passinger compartment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly, now that I have a solid rear wind deflector behind my head, I regularly have to use some glass cleaner to clean off the rear of the glass after a long run, the very same crud one finds on the rear valance and bumper, exhaust stains. That said, whenever I run with the top up and rear vinyl window zipped tight, I never seem to collect this same crud on the zip-out window. Go figure. Aerodynamics. Vinyl don't hold it? I think the same phenomenon of aerodynamics that causes the Kamm-back design to get some "push" from the vortex of sucked in air in the rear plus the sucking action of a down top gets the exhaust to roll right back up into the passenger compartment. (Top up negates that action, it seems.) My deflector seems to stop essentially all that. I don't get grime off the rear of my bald head anymore.

Bill

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight

I can not say I have considered the fume build up problem. It seems that when looking at monza systems for example, the tips turn up somewhat like the stock exhaust pipe. Our local muffler shop has stainless steel polished mufflers that look alot like the monzas and have a similar upturn of the tip coming out of the muffler. I am looking at doing a dual muffler system with those this weekend.