• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Exhaust System for a Bugeye

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm about to start working on the exhaust system for my bugeye. I have a set of headers that I inherited with the car, but nothing else. I plan to have a custom exhaust place attach the headers to the front pipe, but my question is do I need to buy the front pipe from Moss? It's $100 plus $20 extra shipping. It doesn't look all that special, and I'm guessing that the exhaust shop can bend something that will work for the same or less money. I suppose I'll buy the muffler and tailpipe, just to maintain some originality.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Thanks,
Keith

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If your header is like ours, it's a 1.5" OD and ends pointing level and straight back. I was thinking of buying matching stainless and putting the simple bends the BE needs myself (I have access to a tubing bender) and cut the inlet/outlet piping off a stock muffler and weld in matching 1.5" pipe. One of the members made reference to installing a 19 inch Harley-Davidson Sportster muffler - can anyone chime in as to year/whatever for those of us curious about that option? I've got a couple of full sized H-D mufflers but won't be able to make them work in conjunction with adding a Panhard rod. Hopefully this provides a bit of useful info.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I run a Harley muffler takeoff on mine - and a header (1500 mind you) I just brought them into the local hot rod muffler shop and Bob's your uncle. I paid for stainless and it is wider (2 inch?) I didn't knock out the Harley Baffles which is supposed to help flow because I didn't want more sound. No particular model of tailpipe - mine has a wide end but, the most common is the one where the diameter narrows towards the end.

Part of the reason I went this route was cost -Harley mufflers are waaaaay cheaper than MOSS (though the system likely cost about the same) but also because the 1500 had a muffler running parallel to the bumper which looked hideous when the rubber bumper was gone.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh and I had the shop weld a flange on the header and the pipe so it can be removed

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Fabricated mine out of 304 stainless. The orbit around Panhard was tight, needed a muffler that could fit up close to floor while sitting parallel to floor.

P1040161.jpg

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Took mine to the local muffler shop. They did a great job fabricating the pipe..

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I run a Harley muffler takeoff on mine - and a header (1500 mind you) I just brought them into the local hot rod muffler shop and Bob's your uncle. I paid for stainless and it is wider (2 inch?) I didn't knock out the Harley Baffles which is supposed to help flow because I didn't want more sound. No particular model of tailpipe - mine has a wide end but, the most common is the one where the diameter narrows towards the end.

Part of the reason I went this route was cost -Harley mufflers are waaaaay cheaper than MOSS (though the system likely cost about the same) but also because the 1500 had a muffler running parallel to the bumper which looked hideous when the rubber bumper was gone.

As per your PM request for pictures - here is the thread from when I had it installed. Not 100% sure I would go with the shape again - but I am more than happy.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?65600-Pimp-my-Midget&highlight=muffler+harley

OP
Keith_M

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the responses. My headers end horizontal and facing rear, but the rear-facing part has been dented in. I'll probably have that part cut off and have the muffler shop flange the vertical part to the front pipe. It sounds like a good muffler shop should be able to make the front pipe, so I think I'll just buy the muffler and let them fabricate the rest.

Does anybody use the gearbox mounting bracket shown in the moss diagram? I've never seen one before, and my 65 Sprite doesn't have anything like that.

Keith

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Blue Max - that photo is incredible! I went back to the 'thoughtful upgrades' thread just to get a list of what I was looking at. Did you fabricate the muffler as well?

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Thanks! I took measurements of the orbit where the muffler would fit. Then started shopping muffler suppliers until I found one that was stainless that would fit the orbit. I then set it in place and prototype up to the muffler in PVC tubing, after that I made everything in 304 stainless.

P1040085.jpg

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Clever. I'd not thought of that!!!

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a Harmo muffler (period...nearly NOS) that has about 200 miles on it that I would let go inexpensively. Similar look to the original BE muffler...a bit larger...better sound...better performance.

I also have a NOS Abarth muffler that's available but not so inexpensive.

I used the gear box mount bracket. May have a spare..not certain.

OP
Keith_M

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Ray,
I just ordered a muffler and bracket from Moss, but thanks anyway. I still want those wiper tubes though! :smile:

Keith

I have a Harmo muffler (period...nearly NOS) that has about 200 miles on it that I would let go inexpensively. Similar look to the original BE muffler...a bit larger...better sound...better performance.

I also have a NOS Abarth muffler that's available but not so inexpensive.

I used the gear box mount bracket. May have a spare..not certain.