• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need suggestions regarding exhaust system

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
I am wanting to do something with the exhaust system on my BJ8. The front pipes down from the manifold are original, rusty and the flex portion of one of them has split in half. The PO had replaced from there all the way back with a mild steel system that is a bit tired, but no holes or big problems. I am thinking of perhaps replacing the entire system with a Bell stainless steel system. The other end of the spectrum would be to just replace the front pipes with new mild steel. Another option would be to cut out the flex portion of the existing front pipes and replace with the JC Whitney couplers previously discussed on this forum. I am also wondering if I could paint the existing pipes and mufflers (either replacing the front pipes or using the couplers) flat black? I don't like the way the exhaust looks from the side view of the car (see attachment) - kind of junky looking and maybe if it were black it would be a little less noticeable? Any thoughts, suggestions or opinions are welcome! Thanks!

Attachments

• 183778-sideview.jpg
    183778-sideview.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 140
Country flag
I switched to a complete SS system three years ago. I love it but I miss the exhaust tone. It will be quieter. Fitting the hangers and couplers is like a puzzle with extra pieces. If you are only going for looks, I'd stay with what you've got and get new flex pipes. Wait until you get holes or hit a speed bump. It hurts when you dent your nice new rear mufflers on a drive way or speed bump.
However, I can now hear my wife telling me to slow down on curves.

OP
Wana

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, Tahoe. I do love the exhaust note that my current system delivers and it sure would be less expensive to just replace the front pipes. Anyone have any thoughts on painting the existing system flat black? Has anyone ever seen this done?

John Loftus

Darth Vader
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any thoughts on painting the existing system flat black? Has anyone ever seen this done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Black BBQ paint works well but has a bit more shine than flat. Like any paint job you need to clean/prep the metal for good adhesion.

Cheers,
John

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any thoughts on painting the existing system flat black? Has anyone ever seen this done?

[/ QUOTE ]

Black BBQ paint works well but has a bit more shine than flat. Like any paint job you need to clean/prep the metal for good adhesion.

Cheers,
John

[/ QUOTE ]
The exhaust systems were painted flat black from the factory. IMO, the exhaust looks strange enough hanging under the car like an afterthought, without high lighting it in bright stainless. "Stove Bright" #6309, Met. Black, -Forrest Paint Co.- is a flat black that stays on very well. Even on my very hot header tubes.
D

bighly

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
However, I can now hear my wife telling me to slow down on curves.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tahoe,
You should strongly consider a side out exhaust setup under your circumstances.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
Tracy

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I installed a Bell stainless steel exhaust last spring. It fit great, went in easy and sounds really good. Very pleased with it. As for the exhaust being low and showing from the side, isn't that what it means to have a Healey?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

You should strongly consider a side out exhaust setup under your circumstances.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
Tracy

[/ QUOTE ]
On the passenger side of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't know about Healey exhaust systems or even what the h*** I'm doing here, but I installed a Bell Stainless system in my '65 Jaguar S type hoping to quiet it down to the silence of my 1984 XJ-6 and the result was no difference, almost as loud as the old original system which was falling apart anyway, but nicer sounding, more throaty, sporty, and "controlled". I had heard that stainless steel systems sound different but I no longer believe that theory. The set came with every piece of hardware and rubbers needed, every part (pipes and mufflers and resonators) polished to a mirror show finish, AND the fit was better than perfect, like someone took the time to measure correctly. Whole lotta love in this set. I am sold on Bell ss exhaust systems. To say it is a "quality" system, it's just not enough. The only problem is: Who's going to see it? BTW, I installed it myself using Permatex Muffler Sealer in every union, the Manual says to use "Firegum" sealer but I could not get it in the USA.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Wanna, when I bought my car a few years ago it had an SS system. the Muffler blew as I was driving it off the rack just after the State Inspection was being done. Since I had a new inspection sticker I drove it anyway till I bought a new mild steel muffler. When the new muffler came I scuffed it up with scratch pad, cleaned it real well and sprayed it with Hi-Temp silver paint in a spray can. I polished the rear pipes a bit then put it back together. It still looks pretty clean. I didn't want to buy another ss system because I figured why bang up such an expensive system from the inevitable bumps. When this muffler get a few marks on it, I just stuff some cardboard around the perimeter of it and tape some other pieces of cardboard to the body, and then respray the exposed parts of the muffler with new paint. You only have to keen up what can be seen. If you want to be alittle fussier, put the car on a lift and paint the whole thing. AS dave russel said, from the factory the whole deal was black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What if any is the difference between the Bell and Falcon SS exhaust system? Is there an opinion on which is the best system for the money? I need a exhaust system for my 64 BJ8. Thanks and have a good day!

John

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
John, I did my homework by researching Falcon, Dick Ames SS Exhausts, and another SS exhaust business in Canada whose name I forget, for my '65 Jaguar S type exhaust system;

the difference was that the Falcon, Dick Ames, and the Canadian\UK systems had more sections to clamp together than the Bell system, based on the drawings that I got from each company. The reason? they cut the long pipes in half for "shipping convenience", but that means more clamping and more places for leaks as the system ages. I wanted a replacement system that was identical to the factory system, only Bell duplicated the original system.

Worse: the hardware kit in the Falcon/Dick Ames and the Canadian\UK company's systems was OPTIONAL, (brackets, hangers, rubbers, clamps), and the Bell kit included everything in the price.

AND the other three companies would not guarantee that the mufflers would arrive dent-free, in fact they told me they were normally dented and scratched. hahaaa! My Bell system arrived very nicely packed, each part individually wrapped and OK'd by an inspector I assume, and not a dent or ding was found. The price for the Bell system (delivery and all hardware included) was also the best price of all = $740.00 for a twin system with 5 mufflers and 6 correctly mandrel-bent pipes. The 8 "u" clamps included are also stainless but I did not use them, I ordered polished stainless steel Band clamps from Burns Stainless, who makes racing exhaust clamps. "U" clamps distort/crimp the pipes when tightened, creating exhaust pressure bottlenecks.

I got my Bell system from SNG Barratts USA, a Jaguar supplier. Bell does not sell direct in the USA, you have to order from a USA Healy supplier who offers Bell. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Falcon is from Italy???, so if Falcon is anything like the italian Ansa and Abarth exhausts of the 1970's, they start to rust inmediately after installation. Been there done that. (check the attached image of a water decal that I still have from an exhaust system that I installed in my '69 MG-B back in 1974, which was worse than the original system).

I think that Bell offers Mild Steel systems too, so stainless is optional. I went with stainless because that's what my S type still had from the original factory system that had not been replaced.

I hope this info. helps, otherwise, it's your car and you decide.

Attachments

• 184901-Abarth-decal-1973.jpg
    184901-Abarth-decal-1973.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 88

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My experience with Bell was a little different. I bought through Engel Imports, and the system came without clamps, but the price was $605 delivered. I bought the clamp packages from Moss. The system fit together like it was made for a Healey, and all of us know how often that happens. It just fit. It just fit right. It went in without a fight. No bending, breaking, torquing, anything. What a pleasure it was to have something just plain fit.

And it was nice and shiney, too.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
hey, I want to include a photo too.

I didn't have a pic of my exhaust, so I used my fried overdrive harness. It looks a lot like it, except it's not stainless steel, shiney or the same shape.

Attachments

• 185116-FriedWire1.JPG
    185116-FriedWire1.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 132

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't have a pic of my exhaust, so I used my fried overdrive harness. It looks a lot like it, except it's not stainless steel, shiney or the same shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

SHG, thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I had one of "those days" and when I read your post then clicked your photo, I burst out laughing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif which of course had my wife ready to call 911

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All right lets cut out the monkey shines and get back on topic.In the bell system what is the shape of the mufflers round or oval.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif--AZ- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Velox, Don't mind that Keoke fella, he's got no sense of humor.

And Mr. K, it's oval. It's oval. And before you even ask, "Bell" is just a name. It doesn't ring.