• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Storing nuts and bolts (so you can find what you need)

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We've got German and British 'classic' (i.e. old) vehicles (and a Japanese and a US motorcycle (Buell!). How do you folks sort/store/keep track of nuts and bolts for the various diameters and threads? and materials (mild steel, stainless, and some aluminum)? My brother (now a retired auto mechanic) used 1 litre engine oil containers, cut open and labelled. If I'd been smart, I would've started emulating him decades ago.
I was trying to find some Fine Imperial this evening, and that brought the question to mind.
Later,
doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The metric and SAE are separated, new stuff in drawers & labeled. "Recycleable" fasteners in cookie tins, also separate and labeled as to sizes as well.

But also a few large peanut butter (just clear plastic containers) jars, metric or SAE, further labeled as G.O.K. jars...

"God Only Knows!" Nuts 'n bolts, washers, plastic caps, springs, clips...

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bass Pro Shops sells their store brand tackle storage boxes in two sizes. During the holidays, they usually sell them at a big discount. Like four for $10. They come with compartment dividers and you can arrange the compartments to fit your hardware and maximize the capacity of each box while keeping your hardware perfectly organized. They are semi-transparent and you can just write on them with a magic marker. Then you can stack them, with the label side facing out, on your shelves.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
We've got German and British 'classic' (i.e. old) vehicles (and a Japanese and a US motorcycle (Buell!). How do you folks sort/store/keep track of nuts and bolts for the various diameters and threads? and materials (mild steel, stainless, and some aluminum)? My brother (now a retired auto mechanic) used 1 litre engine oil containers, cut open and labelled. If I'd been smart, I would've started emulating him decades ago.
I was trying to find some Fine Imperial this evening, and that brought the question to mind.
Later,
doug
I have stacks and stacks of small parts drawer cabinets, about 30.
They each carry between 15 and 60 drawers per cabinet.
Most are unlabeled but I know where everything is, for now.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have the Harbor Freight trays mounted to the wall and some 6 multidrawed cabinets. None are labelled so I have to look each time. Whatever I work on, I just pile bolts on the bench. One of my earlier bosses at a Jag shop told me I should put them on the bench in the order I took them off. Told him it wasn't necessary as they only go in one place. But at home, I do the same, but if I loose one have to go thru the storage. As Doc does, ASE and metric separated.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have the little plastic trays from frozen entrees that I put parts in when I'm working on something. Helps keep them together.

I have some multi-drawer cabinets that have new nuts, bolts, screws & small stuff labelled. Used nuts, bolts & screws go on a pie tin if they look to be reusable.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Harbour Freight storage box.
They have dividers that are moveable.

Attachments

• D5B7610E-A2E8-4EFF-8EE1-4B434B34424E.jpeg
    D5B7610E-A2E8-4EFF-8EE1-4B434B34424E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 7BBE20EC-698F-4FB2-98F4-CEB0017675C4_1_201_a.jpeg
    7BBE20EC-698F-4FB2-98F4-CEB0017675C4_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 57

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have a few of them, won't fit in the cabinet drawers.