• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Torque setting for U-Bolt nuts

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
Gents, does anyone know the torque spec for the nuts on the U-Bolts that hold the rear axle to the leaf springs? I was getting a fair bit of squeaking from the leaf springs and suspect that they are loose...

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I dont think a torque setting is applicable in this case because you are tightening down onto a rubber packing piece etc . Just make sure that they are tightened evenly with the same amount of thread pulled through the nut . How old are the springs ? I may be wrong but I thought there was some kind of lubricating strip between the leafs to keep them quiet .
I would check the U bolts to make sure non are broken etc then give the springs a good spray with graphite spay or something similar that will penetrate into the leafs and take it for a drive .

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The original springs came with zinc strips interleaved. I used high pressure teflon tape from a sailing supply. It's available in the same width as the springs.

You can find a torque chart on Google Images for the u-bolt nuts. But why not just tighten them by hand?

Also make sure your bushings and rear shackles are lubed. There's a zerk on the rear shackle.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There's a zerk on the rear shackle.

Watch out for that Zerk he maybe armed with a photon torpedo ...
Healeys are British and have grease nipples . !!!!!:eagerness::eagerness::eagerness:

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
Thanks everyone. The end bushings (all 4) are well lubed and the squeaking is coming from the length of the spring itself - it is hard to determine specifically where.

The springs, U-bolts and Teflon nuts are all new, and the springs have a plastic layer in place between the leaves. I did try silicone grease between the leaves, but this made no difference. I tightened the nuts to 20 ft lbs and noted a reduction in squealing, then went to 30 and things are definitely better. I was hoping to learn how much torque I can apply and then go to that. The U-bolts all have about the same amount of thread showing when torqued to 30 ft lbs.

Next, I'll try some lithium grease, with an emphasis on the shackles.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How are you getting it to squeak, that you can tell it's coming from the spring?
Is it on both sides?

HI Steve Gerow
I am questioning the use of Teflon tape I Know it has been mentioned for this application before.
However, one peculiarity of Teflon is it cold flows under constant pressure.

Teflon Insulation on electrical wiring is excellent provided we control the radius of bends in a circuit.

Under uncontrolled bends the wire will litterly walk out of the insulation at that point and may cause a short.

Just curious as to what the experience here has been.

Last edited:
OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
I have it up a hoist and am using a rope wrapped around the frame to bounce the car with my leg, while I listen for the source. It probably looks quite comical, but it works. The sounds are coming from both sides.

I then lubed up the springs liberally with Spray and Stay Gel Lubricant from WD40 and did a test drive. Between the lube and the tightened nuts, squeaking has diminished by 90%.

I checked the the problem on YouTube and although there is nothing specific to Healeys, there are MANY fix it videos for other cars - mostly modern cars. All recommended lubrication as the solution. So, it seems the problem is not specific to our cars....

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
HI Steve
I am questioning the use of Teflon tape I Know it has been mentioned for this application before.
However, one peculiarity of Teflon is it cold flows under constant pressure.

Teflon Insulation on electrical wiring is excellent provided we control the radius of bends in a circuit.

Under uncontrolled bends the wire will litterly walk out of the insulation at that point and may cause a short.

Just curious as to what the experience here has been.

steve - did you reply to the right thread?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I should have been more specific. The 2" wide teflon tape I've used is for high pressure sailing applications, such as quickly inserting a mast into a socket with close clearance. It is sticky on one side and slick teflon on the other. No relation to the plumbing tape we use.
It has served well as a spring interleave since 2004. Never had a squeak.
See:
https://www.apsltd.com/teflon-tape-ptfe-2-quot-x-54.html

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I should have been more specific. The 2" wide teflon tape I've used is for high pressure sailing applications, such as quickly inserting a mast into a socket with close clearance. It is sticky on one side and slick teflon on the other. No relation to the plumbing tape we use.
It has served well as a spring interleave since 2004. Never had a squeak.
See:
https://www.apsltd.com/teflon-tape-ptfe-2-quot-x-54.html

OK Thanks:
The guys can probably use it with their new springs along with champhering the edges of each spring's end.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
:encouragement:Whatever it is that Keoke smokes ........ I want some:eagerness::eagerness::welcoming::cool-new:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:encouragement:Whatever it is that Keoke smokes ........ I want some:eagerness::eagerness::welcoming::cool-new:

Man . We don't smoke we use:

beechnut_chew.jpg
--
graphics-cowboy-068353.gif
cowboy.gif
--Get along Little doggie get along ------------:devilgrin: ----------------- It's time for the last roundup.