• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Ph I Exhaust System

jjbank

Country flag
I need a new exhaust system. The mild steel system has been patched too many times. Is the stainless system supplied by Moss the way to go? I like the painted black color of the mild steel system but is there a replacement mild steel system that matches up?

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi JJ,

Over my 50+ years of owning my BJ8P1, I have patched and replaced my exhaustcomponents and even ripped the full system from the car when taking aninconspicuous railroad crossing at speed. I too like a black exhaustand finally took advantage of a MOSS sale and purchased a full ANSAsystem for around $250 US. Of cause that was some time around 1985 and ithas lasted (with some fixes) and still going strong.

The problemwith our Phase 1 cars is that we have the same exhaust as a Phase 2, includingthe transverse resonator/s, without the ground clearance. I would suggestyou pick the unit you really like best and tack a skid strips to the bottom of eachmuffler extending forward and angled up toward the pipe anda few skid strips across the bottom of the resonators oriented front toback and angled upward at the front.

100_1437.JPG

As you can see, these 1" widemetal strips (I purchased at Home Depot a while back) functions as adeflectors and skid pad to protect the flat front and bottom of the muffler and provide sacrificial protection so as not to scrape holes bash the front of the mufflers on a railroad track or destroy the resonators when hitting adriveway or road dip.

Our exhausts are more vulnerable then the exhaust in any other model so, although you can change to an exhaust for a prior 3000, keeping the BJ8 is possible and can last for a long time.

Hope this helps,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Last edited:
Country flag
I need a new exhaust system. The mild steel system has been patched too many times. Is the stainless system supplied by Moss the way to go? I like the painted black color of the mild steel system but is there a replacement mild steel system that matches up?

You can scuff the SS and apply a 'high temp coating' available from DEI (the exhaust wrap people). We did this to the Falcon SS on our BN2 and it's held up well, and I've had it on my re-engineered ANSA system on my BJ8 for many years. IMO, shiny silver exhausts don't look right on a Healey (IMO). If you drive your car much, with mostly highway miles, you'll need a new exhaust system before even a mild steel system rusts out (SS is no better against steep driveways than MS). Problem is, MS systems are hard to source.