• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 exhaust down pipe gaskets

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think I may have identified the cause of my rough running issues. ( poor idle and engine splutters at 3000rpm plus back firing)
The gasket that fits between the exhaust down pipe and the exhaust manifold has failed as I can see it blowing.
I fitted a new exhaust last year and it's done minimal miles since.
Have any of you had problems with these failing? Is there a better product I could hold of to replace the failed gaskets?
Or maybe I would be better off with a tubular manifold that fits directly to the head? Not sure if this will mate with my stock BJ8 exhaust system.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you're not looking for the performance upgrade that a tubular header brings, stay with the stock exhaust manifolds. Also, headers usually don't mate with the stock exhaust piping.

Country flag
Have any of you had problems with these failing? ...

Fought this problem for years. Tried several sets of new brass nuts, new studs--SS and mild steel--and several types of gaskets. Either/both the gasket blew out or the nuts loosened (on one long trip just got in the habit of tightening the nuts every day--can be done with a couple long extensions and a deep socket.).

Finally solved the problem by a) coating the gaskets with high temp silicone (the copper-colored one) and b) double-nutting the studs with regular steel nuts (concours can stick it). Used anti-seize on the studs. 'Problem solved' as Edd China would say.

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Fought this problem for years. Tried several sets of new brass nuts, new studs--SS and mild steel--and several types of gaskets. Either/both the gasket blew out or the nuts loosened (on one long trip just got in the habit of tightening the nuts every day--can be done with a couple long extensions and a deep socket.).

Finally solved the problem by a) coating the gaskets with high temp silicone (the copper-colored one) and b) double-nutting the studs with regular steel nuts (concours can stick it). Used anti-seize on the studs. 'Problem solved' as Edd China would say.

One re of the UK parts suppliers sells what looks like a premium solid copper gasket that looks favourable. Might give that a go. I will have a look for the high temp silicone.

Glad to hear you get wheeler dealers in the US too. Best show on the TV but they still haven't featured a big healey.

Country flag
Try doubling up on the gaskets, maybe even going from the OE copper-faced type to the thicker ones used by most tube0header installations.

Either the mating surface on the cast-iron manifolds, or the steel down-pipe flanges is not smooth/flat, and the extra gasket thickness will accommodate that.

In the event that the cast-iron exhaust manifolds are removed, they can be surfaced, same as you'd do for a flywheel or cylinder head (I wouldn't pull them just for this though, not without doubling the gaskets first).

Definitely agree with John Turney; if you're not souping it up, the stock exhaust is far easier to live with__on many fronts!

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have ordered new down pipes and a couple of sets of gaskets. Went for the better quality copper faced gaskets rather than the silver ones with holes in.
The tubular manifold sounds like too much hassle as I am not looking for extra performance - just an easy life.