• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 exhaust mounting points

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am just about to fix a new exhaust on my BJ8 but all the original fixings are long gone.

I have no idea where or what connects the exhaust to the chassis. Does anyone have a diagram or photos maybe to give me an idea of what I need to buy and where to attach ?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
The Moss catalog shows which mounting hardware is needed and where on the exhaust it should be.
The frame should have the mounting pieces welded in place. Those mounts are threaded for the rubber mounts. (Are you saying those mounting pieces on your frame are not there?)
View attachment 26778

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have just purchased an exhaust mounting kit from one of the parts suppliers and it came in 3 separate sections. Front,mid and rear.
I have looked at the diagram from Moss but I am struggling to see that much detail of what goes where. I can't believe there is so much to it.
The previous owner fitted an exhaust from an earlier car and non of the correct fixing points are remaining. I was hoping the new exhaust and fixing kit when assembled under the car would give an indication of what needed to be fixed or welded where on the chassis.
Does anyone have a photo to show the fixings when installed?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I have just purchased an exhaust mounting kit from one of the parts suppliers and it came in 3 separate sections. Front,mid and rear.
I have looked at the diagram from Moss but I am struggling to see that much detail of what goes where. I can't believe there is so much to it.
The previous owner fitted an exhaust from an earlier car and non of the correct fixing points are remaining. I was hoping the new exhaust and fixing kit when assembled under the car would give an indication of what needed to be fixed or welded where on the chassis.
Does anyone have a photo to show the fixings when installed?
I have the same problem as you, but maybe worse! My new Jule frame came with new floorboards, outriggers and trunk floor but no holes were drilled, etc.

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Patrick,

are you suggesting that the chassis frame should have holes drilled in it that some parts of the mounting kit bolt to?

I wasn't sure if the fixings were bolted on or welded on?

Country flag
Patrick,

are you suggesting that the chassis frame should have holes drilled in it that some parts of the mounting kit bolt to?

I have a '67 BJ8 (built in 11/66) with original floor pans. There are captive nuts welded to the underside of the floor pans for mounting the goofy, fragile, bonded-rubber mounts (the ones with the L-shaped bracket for connecting to the hanger hardware). The original boot floor had two long studs welded on the right-hand side at the front and rear of the pan for mounting one side of the resonators; upstream there's another bracket bolted to the chassis near the right-angle bend in the pipes. Just forward of that are nuts for mounting two of the bonded-rubber brackets, supporting a fairly complicated hanger. So, hangers where the downpipes join the pipes, elaborate hangers aft of the mufflers, bracket bolted to chassis near right-angle bend and a couple studs in the boot floor that bolt up to brackets on the resonators (some aftermarket systems) or, I believe, another hanger set on the outboard side of the resonators (original systems).

No welding is required on original chassis, but if you've replaced floor pans you'll need to locate the captive nuts and tack them to the pans. Unfortunately, can't help with that but maybe someone has a 'blueprint' for locating the captive nuts.

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the help but I am still far from sorted with this one.

Here is a pic of what's included with the fitting kit. Front on left,mid at mid and rear at right hand side of shot. Maybe now you can see my dilemma?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 127

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jeepster,

Look at the Moss diagram, page 23.
It shows exactly where all those parts go.
Assemble (temporarily) the exhaust system as a whole, have some help lifting it into possition under the car. You should see the mounting places on the car that way. I posted photos of the way the clamps are for back of the front mufflers, and also showed how the clamp is set up for the curved area at the back too.
Good luck.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick,

I am able to go look at an unmolested '67 Healey and last year I did that taking photos of the undersides as well as the top looking down(floorboards). I would post photos of what I have but I don't have measurements to go with them. (sometines I can post to the BCF no problem and then there are times it is impossible!). BCS sells some hardware that can be used to replace the broken studs that stick through the floor but I also figured that "elevator bolts, 1/4 x 20, would do the job too. The photos that AUSMHLY posted are a big help if you don't know exactly how the mounts go but won't help much if you need to know exactly where the holes go if you no longer have them such in as replacing the floorboards. If you temporay assemble the system as AUSMHLY says to do and raise it you have a chance in getting it righ or very close to right. I think the most critical point on doing it that way is to have the outrigger mount on your car in good useable shape.

What I'm going to be doing in the near future is installing an exhaust system with no exact locations known for the studs that hang down from the floorboard and trunk floor and no hole locations for the outrigger. I'm hoping to go back to the unmolested Healey for more photos and maybe get some good measurements. I could have had the measurements already except that this car is still assembled and the seat tracks get in the way but I do think I have a way around that so we'll see.

johncsimmonds

Freshman Member
Hi. I am trying to fit a new moss exhaust system to a bj8. I think the trunk floor has been replaced and so it is not clear how the resonator mount fits. Does anyone have any info on how the brackets are supposed to be? The system that came off was a straight run to the rear.

Many thanks!

John

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jeepster

Pull up the SC Parts catalogue on line and look at the exhaust section for the BJ8 - you can use the zoom to home in on the exhaust joints and it is fairly clear what clips, brackets and pipes go where. As a BJ7 owner I really can not advise on fixing points but as some of the photos show there should be something at the front end of the silencers from the floor pan - I bolted straight through, there should be something at the rear of the silencers - mine were captive nuts on the front of the rear outrigger, possibly something near the bend in the pipes possibly from a corner brace bracket then across to the other side - possibly from the corner brace bracket again the free to the end of the exhaust.

:cheers:

Bob

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hi. I am trying to fit a new moss exhaust system to a bj8. I think the trunk floor has been replaced and so it is not clear how the resonator mount fits. Does anyone have any info on how the brackets are supposed to be? The system that came off was a straight run to the rear.

Many thanks!

John
Here you go.

Attachments

• DSC02098.JPG
    DSC02098.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 124
OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bob,

my BJ8 is a 1964 HBJ8L27316

Its the first of the Phase 2s but still has the body as a phase 1 (single side lights)

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I only asked because I saw the single side lights and there has been evidence of some parts being used up from previous marks / models on change over ( as your body ) and I thought that your straight through exhaust was a hangover from that, but if it is a phase 2 then that would not be the case for the exhaust system.

Are you sorted now?

:cheers:

Bob

OP
Jeepster

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bob,

no the straight exhaust was from the previous owners bodge. As well as removing any trace of the original fixings and hangers?

Unfortunately I am far away from sorted as the body shop has taken over a year to do not very much. So my intention of taking the car off the road for last winter has dragged onto this winter too.
Looks like I wont be attempting to fit the exhaust for 4 months at very best.

I would be interested to find a little more information of where my BJ8 fits into the build changeover? Looks like it was the first of the phase 2s but they must have still been using up the earlier body styles. I wonder if anything else was as per the earlier cars? I also wonder how many of these types where made ans still exist?

Tim