• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Exhaust system - It hangs too low no matter what I do

sammy

Country flag
I have been trying to get my exhaust system tucked up in the frame better. No matter what I do, parts of it hang down half way between the frame and the ground. It is a replacement exhaust system with muffler and resonator that I purchased from Moss Motors 10 or more years ago. Is it possible my muffler is too large? What should the dimensions be? Is there a more compact system with a pleasant (no too loud) sound you could recommend? Thanks for the help.

Leatherman

Country flag
I bought the stainless steel exhaust from TRF and I feel it hangs too low also. I also dont like the hanger in back of the muffler. It has the C clamp running sideways and from the rear you can easily see it. It is on my todo list to change the hanger to shorten it to raise the muffler and also change the C clamp to attach from the bottom so the bottom of the hanger is clean with pipe. Not sure how I’ll do it yet probably use some 3/4” steel bar with holes you can buy at Lowes and fashion a new hanger from that. May have some welding involved.

lram59

Country flag
I have a Falcon SS system that seems to be tucked up fairly well. I'll brave the cold and take a look this weekend.
Larry

lram59

Country flag
This is how mine looks.
Larry

Attachments

• 20220128_171311.jpg
    20220128_171311.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220128_171519.jpg
    20220128_171519.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 126

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used the Bastuck SS system and the later type bracket on the rear gearbox mount which helps keep the pipe away from the chassis and it has never given me a problem.

Graham
A4273C33-01F2-4C21-BD41-5AD312347856.jpeg
C3177CC3-20E8-4CD0-B5A5-ED3D1FD13989.jpeg
3523D206-7996-4AE5-9ED3-26FE22AB7AA2.jpeg

Leatherman

Country flag
Just a follow up on my exhaust hanger that came with the Roadster Factory stainless steel exhaust. Shown below is the ugly C clamp that came with the exhaust. I found a hanger from Auto Zone and Advance Auto more to my liking . Using the top portion of the original hanger I attached to the new hanger as high as it would go and then used a stainless steel pipe / hose clamp. I was able to raise the rear pipe 1” and now the hanger is much cleaner as it should look from behind. I painted the silver bolts and washers black after the pictures.

Attachments

• 4FE496D2-7F6C-4C32-9860-32B2B3B11123.png
    4FE496D2-7F6C-4C32-9860-32B2B3B11123.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • 5DBAFA9D-4D1D-470C-8470-74CC6FFCE837.jpeg
    5DBAFA9D-4D1D-470C-8470-74CC6FFCE837.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • 09C38134-7036-41FB-942C-C7EFA7DDD11B.jpeg
    09C38134-7036-41FB-942C-C7EFA7DDD11B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 110

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have fought the exhaust on tr3 before and this might be helpful or not, but if remember correct, if you spin the resonator around 180 the little bend at the end of the resonator tail pipe will point up and not point down and give a little more room at the end.

I am surprised TRF did not have the original rear clamp. The original has one nut and one bolt and is made out of sheet metal and pinches to the pipe and the last finish piece is polish aluminum and held on with a stock radiator clamp.

steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Sammy went missing! If you're out there, a few pics would help us pinpoint where the problem is.

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i cobbled together a big bore system from 2 manufacturers 4 branch manifold and a single box system i need to have an adapter pipe sleeve made up.
but my advice is to fit everything loose and wrangle it around so it find where its most comfortable ie the least stressed, i also exhaust wrapped where it goes through the cruciform central chassis hole to prevent rattling there.

then tighten it all up

good luck

OP
S

sammy

Country flag
Sorry about my prolonged absence. I have attached 2 pictures. It seems like the front muffler is too long to easily fit between the box in the frame it passes through and the rear differential. I think I got it from Moss 15 years ago or so. There is a piece of angle iron welded to the frame which blocks the view of the exhaust system in the pictures, but it does not actually in the way.
Exhaust 1.jpg
Exhaust 2.jpg

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As Hamish said I would try and loosen that middle clamp and push the two mufflers up which should change the angle of the tailpipe and get it away from the body, it must be making some awful rattling noises back there?

Graham

Bocaray

Freshman Member
Country flag
My rear muffler drags when I go over steep inclines. There doesn't seem to be room to lift it any higher (or at least not much). Does anyone know if a smaller profile muffler is available? Someone mentioned using a motorcycle muffler but I don't want it loud or mess up exhaust pressures.