• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bell Exhaust System.... Any Thoughts?

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Hey guys

I was offered the opportunity to purchase a Bell exhaust system for my 71 BGT for close to 200 including shipping.

I was curious if anyone had any experience with this brand, and whether i should pick it up or not.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

703MGB

Never heard of it.

But I can giv e you very nice comments about the PECO systems.

703MGB

Still from my own experience and from different articles PECO is the way to go.

Here is an extract:

As good as the OE exhaust manifolds are, the rest of the exhaust system can be improved upon, and for this the Peco exhaust system is a high-quality choice. There are plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems on the market, but those made by Peco seem to be the ones that live up to its manufacturer's promises and hence has become increasingly popular. It's the only header whose design takes into account the critical fact that the head uses a siamesed port for the exhaust valves of the middle two cylinders and hence has an oversize center branch pipe. Their quality control is very tight for that of an aftermarket manufacturer, so their system always seems to fit without a lot of bending, hammering, and cursing. It also performs well on both modified and stock engines, which usually can't be said for many of the others: they either work well only on stock specification engines, or work well only on engines that have been modified according to a specific recipe which will consist of other components made by the same company (which, of course, the advertisers never get around to pointing out before you spend your money on the #@!! thing!). The Peco system is street legal. Often a performance exhaust will sound good at idle and while accelerating, but then turns into a howling monster while cruising on the highway and literally drives you out of the car, ears ringing. This might be acceptable in a race car, but not in a street machine. At highway speeds the Peco system is actually quieter than an Original Equipment system, emitting a rich baritone sound rather than the ear-pounding basso profundo or the rasping tenor of some other systems. The gray system will fit the Original Equipment 1 3/4" pre-1975 exhaust manifolds without modification while the red 2" Big Bore system will require the use of the Peco 2" Big Bore header. The Big Bore system is actually intended for use on larger bore engines (1868cc or larger) or smaller-bore engines fitted with flowed heads and hot camshafts such as the Piper BP285. When fitted to smaller bore engines with Original Equipment camshafts they will result in a bit more high-RPM power at the expense of some low-RPM tractability. This is due to the larger bore of the exhaust system reducing gas velocity which in turn reduces scavenging effect in the combustion chambers. In addition, radiant heat from the tubular steel of the header is much greater, exposing the air in the engine compartment, the intake manifold and carburetors, and the fuel system to more heat, thus reducing fuel/air charge density and hence reducing power output. Jet-Hot coating of the header is therefore highly recommended. The lack of any middle resonator simplifies the Peco system and allows you more ground clearance (something every 'B' can use!) and allows the fitting of a slip-and-clamp American-made performance catalytic converter where the middle resonator used to be and thus satisfying the emission laws of many localities. However, if local regulations require it, or if you simply choose to rebuild the engine to Original Equipment specification, an excellent quality replacement twin muffler system is made by Falcon and can be had from Brit Tek (Part# FES001, MGB 1962-1974; Part# FES002, MGB 1975; Part# FES003, MGB 1976-1980). Brit Tek has a website at https://www.brittek.com

Full article at www.sterlingbritishmotoringsociety.org/ files/mgbtunings.PDF

703MGB

And if you really want to go nuts (like I did) have it coated with ceramic inside and outside for added performance and reduced temperature levels.

I know it,s a bit to much but I had to do it on my car

https://www.fireballcoatings.com/

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am installing a complete Bell stainless steel exhaust system in my 1965 Jaguar S type and I am impressed at the fit, everything matches correctly. The 5 mufflers are polished to a beautiful mirror luster, I can see myself while installing them. Now I am worried about getting them dirty. My first impression was: Who's going to see this system unless they get under the car? I don't know about other companies, but this system is superb quality and the price was reasonable for the workmanship that went into all the parts. Falcon was about $200.00 more when I was pricing around. Dick Ames was $250.00 more, and they were a bit arrogant in my opinion, so I flushed them. Falcon did not come with a full fitting kit, it was "additional" at a hefty cost. The Bell system came with everything needed except the replacements Bolts and washers and nuts, which I replaced in ss. I did not use the eight stainless "U" clamps that came with the system. I don't like U clamps, they cause permanent damage by crimping the pipes. I am using ss Band clamps which I purchased elsewhere, I am also using PERMATEX Muffler & Pipe Adhesive in every joint for a leak-free installation. I'm going slow but I'm impressed at the quality. My Jag deserves that.