• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheels-Tires-and Bell Bottoms

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
Well, not exactly "bells", but flared nonetheless.

Thinking slightly ahead, I've been pondering wheels and tires, sizing options, required mods for larger ones, etc. I must admit that I was totally bored with the concept of putting Panasport's on my car, that is until I saw the red spoked ones on Piet Mozes black rally car.

GroupImage.aspx

I emailed Piet to ask him a few questions about the wheels and the tire sizes.
He used 5.5" on the front and 6" Panasport's on the rear. They're the standard wheels, not the lightweight racing wheels. For tires, he used 215-60-15's on the rear, and I can't remember what he used for the front, maybe 195-65's. Since I already have a full set of the 195's, I just need 2 of the 215's.

I was thinking of 6" on the front and 7" on the rear, but I may run into fit problems. I wouldn't mind flaring the rear fenders only ever so much. Just enough to cover the tires and it probably wouldn't even be noticeable. However, according to Piet and the guys at Panasport, the 5.5 & 6" is a better way to go. Something about the TR4 being very narrow in the front and negative camber issues.

Well anyway, to my point, or question I suppose; what tire sizes and wheels are you running on your TR4 or TR6 and what, if any, issues did you encounter?

Oh yea, I almost forgot, where can I get a hardtop like the one in the picture above?

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I put 195-65-15 Bridgestones on knock off Minilite style alloy wheels on my 4A.

I really like them because the tires grip the road, steer and corner better, and the wheels stay in perfect balance at high speeds.

I like they way they look, too. However, my wires definitely look more classic, and I'll put those back on from time to time.

I've seen the reds. They really are stunning, and I could see going that way, but they might seem to ask for head turns instead of just allowing them to happen. Then, again, it's all preference.

Good luck; enjoy the Holiday and maybe the Saints will remain unbeaten (until they play the Cadinals).

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tab,

On my 6 I am running 16X7 Konig Rewinds with Yokohama TRZ 205/60/16's. Car has been lowered using GP Springs. I did put a 1/2 inch spacer back in the front springs. I have encountered no rubbing issues whatsover.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tab,

I can't answer the tire question since my original TR4A restoration was back in the 80s with original 165-15 tires and wire wheels. I was looking to do something similar though when I get to the second TR4A with splined Minilites, a Surrey top and driving lights (but keeping the bumpers).

The hardtop appears to be an original Surrey top although it looks like they added a vent to the removable hardtop section. These were expensive back when I picked mine up in the early 80s and the few references I've seen recently indicate they are even more so today. Here's a rough one for sale on eBay which doesn't appear to have the glass -
TR4 Surrey top on eBay

I found one reference in a quick search which seemed to indicate that Revington TR in the UK made a reproduction at one time, but I'm not sure if it's still available.

Scott

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Tab,
widest rims i've heard of without flares on a tr4 are 6" front and 6.5" rear. The tr6 fenders allow larger tires/wheels than the tr4 so be careful with comments about tr6 sizes. I'm just going to go 6" wide all around with 205-60-15". I don't like the look of low profile tires on a tr4. imho. I also like to rotate my tires and different sizes front/back doesn't let you do this.
Rob

OP
Tabcon

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
Rob, do you think the tires on the car in the photo above look funny? I think they look okay and I was actually surprised when he told me they were 215's on the rear because they don't look like low profile tires at all.

Again, the reason for the 2 different sized tires and rims I'm told is strictly for handling. I'm a little concerned about the different sizes and rotating tires but I had the same situation with the 911 I had and I actually drove it so little, I never once rotated the tires on it. But it is definitely something to consider.

I love the look of the wire wheels too, but I prefer the center laced type and I'm not too sure how they would fit on the TR4. They were awesome on the old Cobra's though.

BTW, the Cardinal's pose no threat. I taught I saw a pudy tat!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Here is one of my favorite 4's from my local Triumph Club

IMG_1815.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Aah Silverstones. Why do they always looks so good? Probably because I can't find any?

OP
Tabcon

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I do like those wheels but I don't get the knock off spinner on a bolt on wheel. That's is a great looking TR4. Who made the Silverstone wheels?

You can still get the rear portion in fiberglass and maybe even metal I think from Revington's and Limora and the aluminum insert panel is also still available, but BIG bucks. They had an OE one on Ebay recently for $2,800.00 and it didn't last long. I added up the parts for a complete assembly using the fiberglass rear, lexan and aluminum and it was over $2,800.00. Then you still have to paint it.

I'll have to save up for one because doing a rally works type car without just doesn't look right. Of course then i'll have to install air conditioning as well...lol.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I like the looks of these but I don't see that they make the splined version for TRs.

Superlite

Scott

Monkeywrench

Jedi Trainee
7" rims will fit under stock fenders (barely) with some pulling. Sorry, I don't have offset numbers handy.

A 205 series tire is going to be much happier (performance and wear wise) on a 7" rim vs a 6" rim.

I would stay away from running more tire on the rear. Your cars won't be making enough power where traction will be limited, and running less wheel in the front will promote more understeer, which the car already has too much of.

You can put as much negative camber in the front as you want. Either you section the a-arms, convert the stock a-arms to heim-jointed ends, or fabricate your own a-arms. The rear you're camber limited, but as the stock car guys have done, you can "camber" the rear end. This is best left to professionals, and the wear on the bearings vs performance gain on the street just isn't worth it.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
You can shave the rear tires at an angle to fake some camber into the rear.
Tab, i sent you an e-mail with pictures to look at.
Rob

OP
Tabcon

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I've decided to just go with 6" rims all around. I can't imagine -.5" on the front wheels is going to amount to much difference and the way my suspension is set up, I can dial in as much negative camber as I'll ever need.

I'm not concerned about adding any negative camber in the rear. With the limited slip, the 3 link Watts linkage set up and the anti roll bar, the rear end should be fine. Bob, I think you're correct about the understeer so I'm going to just stick with the same size tires all around. As far as power is concerned, I can't imagine any TR4 engine producing enough power to warrant many of the modifications people make to them, including myself. Based on a few simple calculations, my engine should make around 165 to 170 bhp, which is more than stock, but still a tiny number as far as horsepower goes. I suppose I could have dropped in a 302 crate motor with 300+ hp, it certainly would have been less expensive, but what's the challenge in that...lol.

Hoffman

Freshman Member
M.P.L., I agree- That is one of the nicest looking TR4's around. Love the Silverstones. Any idea what size tires those are? Any chance you might be seeing the car again soon and could verify?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hoffman,

Probably not until June when we have our annual Club BBQ...I suspect that will be too late?

Cheers
Tush