• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Spyder-Mite Gets Wheels

CARSINC

Silver
Country flag
I picked up the VTO wheels for Spyder-Mite yesterday. The rear axle assembly goes back in next week. I found some 165 65R 13 Achilles tires at Walmart. Hopefully everything gets put back together next week, then I'll post more photos.

Attachments

• 20231208_132306.jpg
    20231208_132306.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

Pat MM

Country flag
That tire size is what I used to have on my Bugeye, but they were Pirelli CN 36 Cinturados and they stuck like glue! I didn’t know anyone was making a similar profile and 165s.

Country flag
Keep me posted on how the tire/rim fitment is in the rear. I have a 1/4 elliptical car with 165/65r13 on JBW 5.5 wide minilights and they rub the inside of the fender. I need to check the offset and see if a 5 inch wide minilite would help. I'm not sure 155/70r13 would gain enough clearance either. I might have to narrow my axle tube. I really do not want to go down that rabbit hole, but I really want the car to sit a bit lower in the rear.

Scargo

Country flag
I run 175/65 13"s on 5" Minator's with a 20mm offset on a lowered Bugeye with no rub. I have 3/8" rear spacers in order to equalize the rear track width with the fronts, which have disc brakes.

Last edited:
OP
CARSINC

CARSINC

Silver
Country flag
Keep me posted on how the tire/rim fitment is in the rear. I have a 1/4 elliptical car with 165/65r13 on JBW 5.5 wide minilights and they rub the inside of the fender. I need to check the offset and see if a 5 inch wide minilite would help. I'm not sure 155/70r13 would gain enough clearance either. I might have to narrow my axle tube. I really do not want to go down that rabbit hole, but I really want the car to sit a bit lower in the rear.
My rims have a positive offset of 19mm. According to the folks at Mini Mania 165/70's fit a 1965 Sprite rear without rubbing. The 65 series Achilles is the same width as the 70 series but a half inch shorter. Some Minilites have a positive offset of 23mm that can cause rubbing.

OP
CARSINC

CARSINC

Silver
Country flag
That tire size is what I used to have on my Bugeye, but they were Pirelli CN 36 Cinturados and they stuck like glue! I didn’t know anyone was making a similar profile and 165s.
Achilles is the most readily available because they are sold for Geo's.

OP
CARSINC

CARSINC

Silver
Country flag
I agree. I had Pirelli's on my 1961 MGA and they had great wet and dry traction.

Country flag
My rims are 5.5 wide with 20 mm offset. My tires are random foreign made tires that are 165/65. I think the rubbing issue comes down to ride height and sidewall flex. What I probably need is a wire wheel differential housing with bolt on axles, then I could tweak the fitment with wheel spacers.

OP
CARSINC

CARSINC

Silver
Country flag
My rims are 5.5 wide with 20 mm offset. My tires are random foreign made tires that are 165/65. I think the rubbing issue comes down to ride height and sidewall flex. What I probably need is a wire wheel differential housing with bolt on axles, then I could tweak the fitment with wheel spacers.
I'm in the process of swapping wires for VTO's and yes the wire wheel axle housing is shorter but factory bolt on axles are longer and won't fit. There are four lug racing axles that fit the wire housing. Contact Steve Christian at Ol' Phartz Parts. He knows all about swapping axle assemblies.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree. I had Pirelli's on my 1961 MGA and they had great wet and dry traction.
I put Pirelli's on every car I ever put tires on.
Excellent wet and dry traction but they can wear sooner than most.
Don't care.