• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire This Spitfire Gets Around!

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thought you Spitfire guys and gals might get a kick out of this funny but very frustrating story. My buddy Dave bought a clean, rust-free Fresno, CA 1975 Spit from a very reputable seller in Kelowna, BC back in June and arranged to have it shipped across the country to Newfoundland by a carrier who shall remain nameless. For the record, the seller if anyone makes the connection is completely blameless, ie; not involved in what eventually transpired here. The little yellow Spit went by trailer from Kelowna to Vancouver like my TR6 did back in 2004 and from there by train to Halifax, Nova Scotia, where it was supposed to be loaded aboard a car transporter and shipped to Newfoundland via TCH (that’s the Trans Canada Highway for the benefit of our Southern Triumph cousins) and the Marine Atlantic Ferry - destination - the capital city, St. Johns. Delivery was to have been on or about July 8th but the carrier told Dave the transporter was full so it would be 3 - 4 more days before they had another trailer with room for the Spit. No problem so far but when you're getting a new Triumph, every day seems like a month. Ask me how I know - I've been there. Anyway, Dave is following up on the 10th and after repeated messages, gets a call from the shipper, "Dave, this is the claims department. We're just calling to let you know your car is not damaged! Dave goes, uh-oh something's wrong now....! Why would my car “not be damaged” if nothing’s wrong here? Why is some guy named Mun…. (something unpronounceable) be calling to tell me my car isn’t damaged? Thinks Dave, “this should be good”. Enter Mun buddy what’s his name ….. saying, “Uh, yeah, well... Dave, it seems some boob from another company using that yard , accidentally mixed up your car with another yellow antique car and uh, we, kind of accidentally shipped it to Baltimore, MD and it's an 8 -day return trip but we’re sorry and your car should make the round trip from Baltimore and be back in Halifax in just 3 – 4 weeks. OK? So Dave goes, hang on here, summer in Newfoundland is short for top-down driving and they’re talking about 3 – 4 weeks getting the car back to Halifax and if it’s an 8 day trip what’s with the 3 weeks? Whassup wit dat? Anyway, being the patient and understanding guy that he is Dave says OK, get it back as soon as you can and we’ll talk about compensation later. Boom! The lines of communication are cut, severed, discombobulated. All of a suddy (sic) nobody at the shipper’s HQ speaks Dave’s language, which by the way is English, with a Newfoundland twist of British, Irish and “Murrican” . So 10 days go by and Dave hears nada from the shipper and calls repeatedly and e-mails to get an update. Nothing, except a terse reply that states, “we are having difficulty arranging the return of your Spitfire to Canada and we have no ETA on delivery”. Well, thinks Dave, “Jeez, $3000 paid in advance to ship the car from BC to NL and it’s now 5 weeks later and nobody has an ETA. Time to take drastic measures to protect my investment”. So Dave, again being the patient and reasonable gentleman that he is, fills out a Statement of Claim for filing with Small Claims Court and faxes it to the shipper, asserting that in his opinion, his car is lost, his requests for information have been ignored and he wants compensation for the loss of the car and the shipping charges, UNLESS, his car is shipped to him or at least he has a definite ETA and somebody starts answering his questions and starts giving him straight info. Dave ends his message saying, “for all I know, my Spitfire is in the Middle East or Europe but you have until next Monday to respond and I will hold off on my litigation until then”. Like I said, dave is a reasonable guy and shows more restraint than I would have in this situation. Well, lo and behold, this time Dave’s message gets somebody’s attention - somebody realizes they have dropped the ball here and that Dave’s frustration is justified and calls him. “Dave, this is the VP of Everything, here at “We Ship Spitfires Dot Com “ (which I just made up) – just want to let you know that your Spitfire is not in the Middle East so don’t worry about that”. Now Dave is doubly reassured as he knows now that his car has not made a pilgrimage to the Pryamids or to the Holy Land but he still doesn’t know where it went. However, the VP of Everything dude says “Unfortunately, I’m not really sure how to explain this but your Spitfire is now in England. We don’t really know what happened but before we could get your car back from Baltimore, MD, USA some nimrod shipped it to Europe and it is now in a port in the UK, awaiting the first available ship back overseas to Canada. Really sorry about the delay but in a couple weeks it should be back in Halifax and we’ll get it to you asap”. Well, Halifax being some 1000 miles from St. John’s and 90 miles of that by water, Dave is not too happy but what can he do? The whereabouts of the car has now been disclosed and it is on its way back across the Atlantic. Jeez, I wonder if it’s been converted to right hand drive while it was visiting the country of its birth? Maybe they should fill the trunk with Spit parts from Moss Europe to compensate him for his trouble. Anyway, here we are on August 9th, waiting for the Spit since early June and we still don’t know exactly when it will get here. Hope the little bugger’s got a passport though! Imagine, this little Spit crossing 8 provinces, a bunch of states and the Atlantic Ocean, to another continent on its way to Newfoundland. That’s 3 countries and 2 continents to get down east. And it’s still not here! Hope it’s a good one when it arrives. I’ve attached a pic – it’s a ’75 with original paint, removable hardtop, a Weber carb, header and overdrive so it should be a really nice car to fully restore to its former glory; if it ever gets here that is. We’ll let you know what happens.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 26109.jpg
    26109.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 328

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:thumbsup: Good stuff, Bob - thanks!

D

djwoody

What a story! makes one think twice about buying a car out-of-town and shipping it! Hope it arrives soon and in one piece!

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
That waaay tops my shipping story. I was lucky in that I just was the seller and not the one who arranged transport. Many years ago I sold an 54 Victress S1A to a guy in Indiana. He made it a family vacation by doing the Disneyland thing and then came to see the car and we cut a deal. He arranged shipping through a company that starts with Fal and ends with a con. They show up and load the car onto a 3 car trailer and off it goes. I took pictures of the car being loaded and driving off down the street. I mailed copies to the buyer (Polaroid - this was the usenet days, not the current I-net as we know it). A month later he starts calling me wanting his car. I have no idea where it is and tell him to ask the shipper. He's telling me they won't tell him so he must figure I stopped the truck and repo-ed the car or something. He called about every 3 days after that but I've got nothing to tell him. Anyway, 6 weeks in they find the car in one of those huge transfer lots in LA. It had been sitting out in the elements (the car had a hardtop but no side curtains) for all that time.

The only time I've had a car shipped was from Chicago to here. It showed 2 days earlier than the ETA they gave me but otherwise went perfectly.

The least that this shipping company could do is take pictures of the car in front of famous landmarks that it passed on it's journey.

D

Deleted member 8987

After two open ocean shipments, it probably won't have much of the original paint left. All the excess "handling", most likely won't be straight anymore. Longshoremen, well, seats, radio, battery, maybe wheels might not be there when it arrives.
Yeah, worst case scenario, but it really sounds to me like it got stolen or destroyed in a train crash and someone it trying hard to spread the blame.
You know the shipping company.....google them, whith the word "problems" after it, and see what you get.
Just a thought.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Now, that's just WRONG!

Funny, though... :jester:

K

KSIS

Seems free shipping plus repairs are in order. Any vehicle that is going for an ocean voyage will incure some surface damage even though inside a container. Most containers are leaky. Rusty water spots.

Used to work at receiving of household goods and vehicles in Guam.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
WOW, what a story and very entertaining, I just hate it was at your expense, monetary and emotional.
It beats my story about the Roadster going to Copenhagen and being off loaded for a month before they found it. Started the trip from England in June and I picked it up day after Christmas in 1973. Good oil pressure, so I drove it home, about 300 miles with bad steering. Wore the horn out and my arm waving at people.

Great story, keep us up to date.

Wayne

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Searail.....

Cheers,
Tush

OP
TR6BobNF

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
3798j said:
Good news Dave......they've located your Spit......It's fine

As Dave's storyteller on this I've got to say that 3798j's comment and pic is the best yet! Jeez, looks like the sea washed all the yellow paint off the Spit. Andy's pic where the Spit "mounted" a honkin' big 4x4 SUV is good too. It should be really interesting to see a) how long it will take to get the prodigal Spit back from the land of its birth, b) what two trips across the pond will have done to a California car and c) what those silly buggers are offering in the way of compensation. Stay tuned!
Cheers,

SpitfireProject.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds to me like a "Government Job".
Just how could you screw this up that bad,
plus,don't you need some kind of paperwork
to export a vehicle.
I say that he should sue the transport
company for all expenses that he's incurred.
He's been lied to (or missled)from the start.
He needs to tell them that he's a lawyer,
just to scare them.
How could you run a succesful business this way?

- Doug

D

Deleted member 8987

Who said anything about them being a successful business?

BRSLimited

Jedi Trainee
I'm also wondering how it could possibly get screwed up this bad. Getting on the wrong truck once and going the wrong place I can see in a rare instance, but getting loaded onto a ship and going to a completely different continent than it's supposed to be on??? At least if you get one of those GB visitor stickers now it would be true. I would think free transportation would be the least they could do. Do you have detailed pictures of any damage that was on the car before it was shipped? I'd say they would be responsible for damages the car gets too. Hope everything works out.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I also wonder if they really know where the car is,& are just
stalling.

- Doug

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob
B'y....Next time you guys buy a CA car I would gladly drive it out. My wife's family is in North Sydney and I am just an hour north of Fresno. I would take about 5 days (did that in 1990), but it would arrive alot faster. Fantastic story and it seems to me the best story tellers in the world are from the Maritimes.

Paul

OP
TR6BobNF

TR6BobNF

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Paul and Others:
Next time we're going to go get one ourselves. I've got a buddy in Arbuckle so we'll just get one in the Sacramento area. When I bought the Washington state TR6 in Kelowna in 2004 from the same dealer I had it shipped by the same people and it went off without a hitch. Delivered on time as stated and in perfect condition for a reasonable price. Dave has many pics so he should be able to spot damage if there is any. BTW, the car was shipped out of Halifax to Baltimore by boat not by truck and it appears the dolts failed to get it off the boat in time to get it re-routed. This all started because there were two antique yellow cars in the yard that week but it's been our experience that shippers rely solely on VIN's to identify vehicles so somebody really scr@wed the pooch on this one. I wish we knew what make and model the "Other yellow antique car" was because that was the one they mixed up with Dave's and it was the one destined for the UK. I can just picture the proud owner across the pond visiting the shipping yard to take possession of (dare I speculate just for the heck of it) his antique Ferrari and finding this tired little Spit sitting there grinning at him. If it is a Ferrari they mixed up can you just imagine the explanations and excuses on that side of the deal. In any case Dave didn't receive an antique Ferrari for his trouble nor did he receive anything. I've got a GT6 steering wheel I'm going to give him to hold onto so he doesn't feel too deprived. This is hilarious even though it is so frustrating for Dave. Anyway, no sign of the Spit even though the shipper promised a resolution by Aug 10th but he didn't specify what year. Stay tuned - this is absolutely fated to get better by the day!
Cheers,