• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

185/80 tires on 15'' wire wheels in Germany

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gents,

that's a question to all the German Austin Healey owners in that community: A friend of mine also driving a BN6 wants to put 185/80 tires on 15'' wire wheels. Now he is looking for an example how these kind of tires can correctly be documented in the car's papers.

Volker

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
In Germany they have a strict TUV vehicle inspection and any part on the car that is not original specifications needs to have paper work to deem it safe to be used on said vehicle. In the late 80's and early 90's I was stationed in Germany and put an aftermarket sunroof in my VW. When I bought it at the store it came with the TUV approved paperwork, and had I been a German national and subject to the TUV inspections, I would have been required to keep that certificate with the vehicles paperwork to present at the inspection station. So... I think this is what Volker is referring to.
Jim

OP
BN6_2197

BN6_2197

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In Germany you have to type of papers for your car: one that documents that you are the owner, called "Fahrzeugbrief", and one that you have always to carry with you when driving the car, called "Fahrzeugzulassungsbescheinigung". The second one documents all the properties of your car. One of the properties (called "Bereifung") is the kind of the tires that are allowed for that car. For my car with 165 tires is states "165 R15 76T". I am looking for the value of this property for the tire type 185/80 on 15'' wheel wire.

Volker

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Volker

It doesn't sound like much fun owning a classic car in Germany!

Bureaucrats!
Also in Italy we have the same situation -
when I have finished my car restoration I have asked the possibility to have the 185/15 tire on my car as alternative tire-
A.S.I that certified my car as historic refused the modification ""as NOT original"
and Motorizzazione follow this certification allowed ONLY the 165/15 size
I am sure that 185/15 was better for my car for circumference - diameter - and driving and braking features
but BUROCRATES - that ignores all of the car -deciding what I must follow, after five years of works on the car

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Volker, Could an "authority" to demonstrate that the new tire size is an established replacement for your car, be a large and international supply organization. If such an organization were to advertise the 180/80-15 tire as a replacement for your car, would the inspection authorities in your country possibly accept that as justification to allow the tire on your car. If so, take a look at Moss Motor's Tech articles on their web site. I will try to attach a link to the page I was just reading. https://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/modern_tires.html
Unfortunately the chart at the lower part of this page only mentions a 185/70 tire for your car. But last summer when I was shopping for tires, I found many retail tire sellers that listed many alternatives to the 165/70-15 tire. Maybe you can find one who lists the tire size you want. Good Luck, Dave.

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
@all : yes changing parts without paper called ABE ( General operating license) is funny in our regulated country
Because of safety reasons sometimes very complicate. This is to avoid that people use e.g. chinese brake parts...
Modified Healeys with V8 is practically a no go. Only with very expensive special test certificate of professional engineers.
With test results and an exhaust gas certificate for approx. 3000 Dollar

But in this case it is in my opinion very easy.
Volker you have to ask the tire supplier for example vredestein to get the ABE for a wire wheel and tire combination. You can get it normally for free.
The original wire wheels are not released for the 185/80 /15 tires....(wheel rim to small)
With this ABE you are able to register this wheel /tire combination in your car papers.

Bye Michel-who use because of this reason the 165/15 on original wheels

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
...and yet the 'bureaucrats' are so concerned about 'safety' that their are some autobahns without any speed limits. It helps to sell the BMWs, Porsche and Mercedes. But you can't fit a 185 tyre without a special approval. Go figure.