• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

North East Tires

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hello Folks, I wonder if anyone can help me find new tires for my BJ7. I've been running 165/80r-15 with good results. The lastest set has been Nexens.
Well it seems that none of my local suppliers can get these tires at the moment and maybe never. One store told me that they have had them on order since May. As a matter of fact they are all telling me that they can't get that size in any brand. Tire Rack list one tire in that size, it is Vredestein and I really don't want to pay Vredestein prices for the kind of driving I do. I'd be just as happy with another set of Nexens. Can anyone lead me to them? Thanks.

JoeCA

Country flag
It looks like you can order them from Walmart.

joe

Nexen

Nexen SB802 - Standard Touring All-Season 165/80R15 87T Tire​

Average Rating:(4.0)starsout of5stars7 ratings, based on7reviews
2 comments
Nexen
Walmart # 563769384
$74.98$74.98
Other costs
Check fit
What vehicle is this tire for? We'll make sure it fits.
Select vehicle
123456789101112Qty:
Add to cart
Free
2-day delivery
Arrives by Fri, Aug 13
Pickup not available
More delivery & pickup options
Sold & shipped byOnlineTires
Return policy

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I saw the listing on Walmart. I am going to call them today. Hope I don’t get the same answer I got at Sam’s Club. They said the listing on the web was because they have had those tires in the past so they just keep the listing there because they may have them again. But of course they don’t have them now.
I believe it was the Walmart listing that said they would be shipped from California. It figures, you guys have everything. 😁
I’ll look at Tire Zone as well. Thanks again.

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Wellp' the Nexens SB802s aren't to be had. I guess I could have continued shopping for them, it would seem that somewhere in some obscure shop some where there are a few languishing on a shelf. But I was getting tired of this game. The Walmart listing was none existent. They were not available. But Walmart did list another tire in size 165/80r-15 that was available but was a brand I haven't heard of before. It is Thunderer Mach I, All Season A/S. As I read about it it showed that it had performance specs as good as or better than the Nexen SB802. 87T speed rated, 500 AA UTQG, 60K miles expectancy. At a comparable price, $72.61, free shipping from Priority Tire with warehousing in Allentown, Pa., Texas and Jacksonville, Fl. So I bought em. Due delivered to my place by Tues. 8/17. So we'll give em a go and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I believe it was the Walmart listing that said they would be shipped from California. It figures, you guys have everything. 😁
Nope : we been tryin to get rain but it is difficult.😀

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yep, sorry to hear that.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Speaking of tires, Longstone in England now has Michelin X radials in 155x15. Got a set for the BN2 were restoring. Nice vintage-style radials.
My personal preference but I like to put as big a tire as I can on the 100. I have Michelin 180-15 XAS's which--to my eye--fill the wheel apertures better than the smaller 155's. Also, tire technology--both materials and tread design--has progressed quite a bit in the last 75 years since the X's introduction on the Citroen and the old "X" design may not be cutting edge anymore.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Well, the attractions of the Michelin X 155x15 tires are ZERO deduction in concours and a correct, original appearance/stance. They also fit in the spare tire slot without a need to modify the metalwork. "Cutting edge" is not the point.

For cutting edge I have Avon CR6ZZs in 185x15 on my BN2, but in truth they are a lot more tire than the car needs. They're virtually a street-legal race tire, and even Avon describes them as "our classic street legal performance and competition radial tyre." They do look good, but the car doesn't have the original stance with them.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Reid--

Everything you say is so as concerns Concours considerations, but he didn't say anything about that when he asked for recommendations.

This is what Longstone has to say on the subject:

"The CR 6 ZZ has a competition compound, which is great for all forms of classic motorsport be it vintage racing, historic rallying or classic track days. Within the build of a tyre, to gain one advantage you must balance it against something else. So in that CR6 ZZ is a racing compound, although it is road legal, it will deteriorate quicker than a road compound. Also the tread pattern though great as a race compound it isn’t what you would choose for a road tread pattern. Also it looks nothing like a classic car tyre. For radial sports car tyres of the 1950s a Michelin X or PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 would be more suitable. 1960 again Pirelli Cinturato CA67, CN72, CN36 and Michelin XAS, the 1970s Pirelli CN36, CN12 and XWX".

"

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
As you all may have realized that I can't ever consider anything of concours quality when I'm looking to buy something. What I need the most is longevity and I hope Thunderer Mach 1 will give it to me. But another concern is the size of the tires. I would really like to have a set of 185/80r-15. With 26.5 Dia. and 7.4 section width. I have done some pretty carefull measuring and the 185 is really close in the front inner side of the rear wheel well. It might fit but it's really close and I didn't want to take a chance.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
This is what Longstone has to say on the subject:

"The CR 6 ZZ has a competition compound, which is great for all forms of classic motorsport be it vintage racing, historic rallying or classic track days. Within the build of a tyre, to gain one advantage you must balance it against something else. So in that CR6 ZZ is a racing compound, although it is road legal, it will deteriorate quicker than a road compound. Also the tread pattern though great as a race compound it isn’t what you would choose for a road tread pattern. Also it looks nothing like a classic car tyre. For radial sports car tyres of the 1950s a Michelin X or PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CA67 would be more suitable. 1960 again Pirelli Cinturato CA67, CN72, CN36 and Michelin XAS, the 1970s Pirelli CN36, CN12 and XWX".

I know this isn't what vette is looking for. We're having a side conversation on a closely related subject :giggle:

I bought Pirelli CA67 tires for my '67 Duetto. They are the very tires that were originally supplied with the car in 1967. Consequently they look perfect if you value the original look and stance as I do. I bought them from Longstone.

I bought Pirelli CN36 tires for my '68 Lotus Elan. They were not the original equipment tire for the car, but I have fond memories of the CN36 tires I put on my '74 Alfa Spider and they are nearly period-correct for the Lotus. The stance is good and they are tires I know and trust. I bought them from Longstone.

The Avons on my BN2 are date-coded 4309 and consequently it is time to replace them. I bought them on the recommendation of a well-know Australian Healey restorer. They cost an arm and a leg, and very soon after installing them I realized that are far more tire the I needed for the way I drive. However, given the expense, I have left them on for all these years. I have Steve Norton's (Cape International) reproduction Dunlop solid wheels on the car and am slightly concerned that a narrower tire, such as the 155 Michelin X, will not be a good fit due to wheel width. The wheel width is not marked on the wheels. When I get really serious I guess I'll contact Steve to ask his advice.

In any case, if low cost is not the priority, Longstone is a great place to buy tires for vintage cars. They ship quickly and I have always received my tires from them in less than a week.

vette, you might try looking through the selection at simpletire.com A quick search just now didn't reveal any 185/80R15 tires there, but if you're flexible on size and price is a factor, you might see something you like there. I bought tires for my Sunbeam Alpine from Simple Tire. Of course those are 13-inch tires (175/80R13), but they seem to have lot of options, including some white walls, too!

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I know this isn't what vette is looking for. We're having a side conversation on a closely related subject :giggle:
By all means. An enjoyable exchange.

Country flag
Hmmmmm ... page says "Made in United States." I'm pretty sure they're not (makes me suspicious of the info):

I just gave away a set of 5 on old--possibly original-- wheels. The wheels were shot, but the tires were OK WRT handling (though 'aged out').

OP
vette

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks again. I bought the Thunderer Mach 1. Kinda went for the price but then again not really because there description was very good with AA rating, high tread wear rating ( better than Nexen) ,etc. I bought them thru Walmart but they came from a shop in Iowa I think it was. Couldn’t believe how fast FedEx got them too me. 2 days. I just got them on the Healey this week. They feel good on the Highway. No real experience yet on the twisties.