• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

O.T. Detroit's North American Int. Auto Show...

Country flag
I don't know if anyone here's interested, but if you are, here's a link to almost a couple hundred (<200) pictures I took yesterday during the Industry Preview Day.

The Industry Preview (Wednesday & Thursday) was A LOT less crowded than when the show's open to the public, perhaps 1/3 the crowd (and NO ONE under 12 admitted__I kind of doubt I saw anyone under 25, actually) so it was nice to be able to get some pictures without being stepped on, or people continually blocking your view.

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=743998290&aid=280682

A few highlights:

165281_500728758290_743998290_5872243_2592438_n.jpg

A couple of <span style="font-style: italic">old coots</span> that look like they'd want this car as much as I do! Be sure to see the interior shots in the album__NICE!

164559_500726568290_743998290_5872202_4488942_n.jpg

I guess there's only going to be six hundred (600) of the twenty-six hundred (2600) made, sold in the US.

163439_500727298290_743998290_5872218_333807_n.jpg

Sue, sizing up a 1970 Fiat 500...

168205_500732428290_743998290_5872339_4661478_n.jpg

I would've liked to take this one home:

166349_500736498290_743998290_5872436_6163898_n.jpg

Or this one even:

34826_500733073290_743998290_5872354_737451_n.jpg

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
They wouldn't let me take it off the platform :frown:

I did ask for the information on it, and one of the show models took down my info on an I-pad, saying that I'd get an E-mail before I'd get home; still no E-mail (I guess they did a profile/background check...).

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Randy,
Have you had an opportunity to drive a BMW 135? It is a rocket! I recommend anyone having some extra time on a Saturday should take a 135 for a test drive. 0 – 90 is extremely quick. I drove the 135 on a winding road and it was a blast! This particular vehicle would get me in trouble with the local law enforcement very quickly… and very often! It took several days for the grin to leave my face. I can only assume the 1 series M only improves the already great 135 handling. The 1 series M has fender flares and much wider rubber… The local BMW dealer indicated they will only get 1 M1 and has six deposits. They will only be made in two colors the first year. I am not sure I like the orange however but if you really want one you will have to accept the color the dealership receives this year… We were considering trading our ‘03 330ci. The ’11 3 series is a larger car than the ’03 3 series and the 1 series is closer to the size of the ’03 3 series but a bit smaller. The ’11 3 series is almost the same size as an ’03 5 series. So for now with less than 80K on the clock the ‘03 330ci will stay in our garage.

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
big6 said:
Randy,
Have you had an opportunity to drive a BMW 135? It is a rocket! I recommend anyone having some extra time on a Saturday should take a 135 for a test drive. 0 – 90 is extremely quick. I drove the 135 on a winding road and it was a blast! This particular vehicle would get me in trouble with the local law enforcement very quickly… and very often! It took several days for the grin to leave my face. I can only assume the 1 series M only improves the already great 135 handling. The 1 series M has fender flares and much wider rubber… The local BMW dealer indicated they will only get 1 M1 and has six deposits. They will only be made in two colors the first year. I am not sure I like the orange however but if you really want one you will have to accept the color the dealership receives this year… We were considering trading our ‘03 330ci. The ’11 3 series is a larger car than the ’03 3 series and the 1 series is closer to the size of the ’03 3 series but a bit smaller. The ’11 3 series is almost the same size as an ’03 5 series. So for now with less than 80K on the clock the ‘03 330ci will stay in our garage.
Yes, I have. One of your neighbors, a friend of mine in Chesney, SC bought a 135 when they came out, then proceeded to have some Dinan mods done to it, including Stage II software (424bhp).

I've been to Century BMW a few times, and I'll bet I know who put a deposit on the 135 M Coupe! It's actually available in three (3) colors; Alpine White, Black Saphire, and Velencia Orange. Only 600 (of 2600 total production) will be sold in the US.

If you're a BMW CCA member, then you probably know a good friend of ours, Dwayne Mosley. We would spend a week a year with him, when BMW was still hosting the Roadster Homecoming events. Those were VERY good times!

To finish where you were going with model sizes, the 2011 5 Series is now sharing the 7 Series platform.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Great pictures Randy, thanks for sharing. We usually get some of the autos from Detroit's show down here in St. Louis, I hope BMW is one of the displays. Did you see any of the new Fiat 500's? I heard Chrysler (being owned by Fiat) will be the US distributor.

Nice to see some of the older cars displayed also. We usually get a few Model T's or maybe a huge Lincoln displayed. One year our local Austin Healey club was invited to display our cars, drew a huge crowd. It was over Super Bowl Sunday and we demanded to leave early that Sunday, the show organizer's were very irate. We haven't been asked to come back since then, oh well.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Anything you want to know about the Lexus LFA is available on the internet. It's biggest claim to fame is the unique materials and methods of construction Lexus used. One example, they had to develop the machines that wove the fibers used to make the sheet materials for the body panels as they were not available commercially. I still maintain it is overpriced for the level of performance and would not be on my short list of exotics, even if I was planning to spend $350,000.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here is some video support for my position on performance versus price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5R-oi91bd4&feature=player_embedded#!

OP
Randy Forbes
Country flag
My E-mail arrived today :wink:

No, I'm not in the market for one (it costs a little bit more than my house) but if I was, I'd rather buy a couple of Ferraris (so I'd have one to drive while the other is in the shop)!

Nice video though :wink:

Superwrench

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Randy, Nice pictures Guess that is the Boss in the Fiat pic ? Like the Gull-Wing pic it brings back memories. In 1974 I started as a appentice Mechanic at a Mercedes and BMW dealership. Our owner had a Gull-wing project in the lower shop in storage. He sold it to a fellow in Pittsburg. On the 4 hour journey to Pitts. the driver lost a door skin off the truck ! The new owner was irrate ! We never did know if he found it, or had one made. That was a expensive loss !