• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What the Heck ARE Those Things?

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
Hey folks!

Trying to track down a part that I dont see listed on TRF or Moss, and it may just be because I dont know what they are really called.

On each inner rear quarter pannel, there is a little stud which holds the top cover down in the front. It's the peice that the flaps on the top covers strap to.

I *ahem* know of a 6 that is missing these parts, and if a guy wanted to replace them, he's having a hard time doing so.

Anyone know what the name of these studs are, and where on any of the online catalogs they can be found?

Thanks!
Aldwyn

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Aldwyn:

I am guessing here, but are you talking about the "male" portion of a snap? The convertible top boot on my TR6 snaps to the rear interior panels to hold the bottom of it in place. If so, TRF (for example) can sell you either metal or plastic versions. Here is a page out of their TR6 catalog with the plastic snaps.

https://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/230.php

If this isn't what you are describing, maybe your car has "Lift-the-Dot" studs, which are longer than snaps and fit through a metal "hole" in the part you are trying to attach. TRF also sells these:

https://www.zeni.net/trf/specials7/7.php

Hope one of these is what you are looking for. Good luck.

Matt

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I believe those are some of the "lift-a-dot" studs (yes, that's the real name). I took a look in my Moss catalog, and I can't find them either.
Normally there are two types. a sheet metal screw base, or a machine screw base. try looking up the top fasteners for a TR3. the page with "carpet and interior hardware" shows them. #6 and #7
~edit~ "pa297" types faster than me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Banjo ... and I was figuring someone would beat me to an answer while I was looking up the catalog pages. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I believe those are some of the "lift-a-dot" studs ...

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is indeed what you need... most ACE hardware stores carry them in both the sheet metal & machine screw flavors.

They'll be in that aisle that has all the smaller nuts & bolts in little cardboard drawers.

OP
Aldwyn

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
Yes, the lift-a-dot may be what I am looking for.

Here is what I am talking about, though, just for reference:

https://www.zeni.net/trf/TR6-250GC/233.php

If you look at the pictures of the top boots, you see a tab with a hole in it, hanging down from the front.

It's what goes in these holes to hold the tab down (and therefore the boot) so that wind doesnt pick the boot up and flip it over.. is what I seek.

And I do believe the lift-a-dot may be the answer. Or, even a trip to the local hardware store if I can match the size.

Thanks, guys!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If this is a lift-the-dot application then it sounds like you need the female portion... a 2-piece affair that presses together with the vinyl sandwiched between. Don't think you'll find that at Ace but the usual sources (Moss, TRF) have them.

If this is what was there then there will be a small (3/16") hole in the tab surrounded by 4 tiny slits.

Here's what one looks like fastened over it's peg...

lift-the-dot.JPG

Almost anyone who has had a British car for a few years or ever restored one will have a few of these laying around so you might see if anyone local can help.

G

Actually, they are called "Lift- the -Dot". I think that the tab that holds the top cover is not really a Lift-the-Dot but a regular Dot snap fastener, at least mine is.
In buying snap fasteners, always insist on Dot brand. They are either made of nickel plated brass or stainless. Either one is marine quality (ie, rust proof) and come both in regular and firm grip. I used all firm grip on my top install, regular grip snaps will come undone with speed. Also, beware of hardware store or hobby shop snaps. They look like Dot brand but are often cheap imitations, that is, made of steel and will rust . TRF sells Dot brand, marine stores carry them and most good upholstery shops do as well. I even got some long-throw Dot fasteners for extra thick canvas for my top.

If you can pick them up with a magnet, you don't want them.

Bill

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Always went straight to the local marine supply houses for "Lift-the-Dot" and "Tenax". The latter are less readily available in the States, but I've found them in a marine supplier's place in Sarasota in the past.

OP
Aldwyn

Aldwyn

Jedi Warrior
PO just handed me a box of parts including some snaps and stuff... I will have to dig through there and see if there is anything in there I can use for this application!

Sarasota? One of my favorite towns! Dad lives 20 minutes south in Venice.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Always went straight to the local marine supply houses...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll remember that next time I need... oops, I'm in Tucson Arizona. The only Marine supply house we have is an Army-Navy surplus store.