• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC What the heck is an MGC

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Can some one direct me to a pic, and some info. I seem to have missed out on this one.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack, the MGC was an MGB with a huge 6-cylinder engine...came in roadster & GT form...only about 4489 came to North America...most obvious visual differences is bulge in hood & 15" wheels - that is until you open the engine compartment....its really not a sportscar but more a sporting tourer.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh wow oh wow, considers a fine idea for my next project, weeee.

I'd still be welcome here, right?

Tom

Jlaird I refre you to the postings above "the old girl's back", includes photo of the engine used a 3l six unique to this and the Austin 3l (known by some as the Land Lobster)

As Tony would tell you 4489 is almost exactly half the total production run.

In Oz we never got them new (we did get B Roadsters new, in fact about 9000 of them were assembled locally from imported CKD kits).

So over here they even rarer, in Western Australia mine is one of probably 14 in the state (mostly GTs and about half Automatics)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - when you come up, I'll show you my '68 BRG MGC roadster! With steel wheels & factory hardtop!

647F

[ QUOTE ]
Jack, the MGC was an MGB with a huge 6-cylinder engine...came in roadster & GT form...only about 4489 came to North America...most obvious visual differences is bulge in hood & 15" wheels - that is until you open the engine compartment....its really not a sportscar but more a sporting tourer.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was about to say that it was an ill handling, nose heavy B, but it made for a real easy conversion to a v8...then it became tail happy, wheee...!!!

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It was BMC's goofy attempt to replace the Healey 3000. They spent a bunch o money in R&D on the Healey engine. Ended with the same amount of HP they started with. They created yet another nose heavy car, only without the nice lines. Another reason for the demise of the British automotive industry. Brought to you by the folks that brought you the shape of things to come, TR-7.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
i was about to say that it was an ill handling, nose heavy B

[/ QUOTE ]

Modern, radial tires solve that problem

Steve_S

Yoda
The MGC had a lot of potential. With a bit of tuning, it's easy to pull 200+ HP out of it. MG Motorsport gets around 220-240 HP out of their engines.

MGCs also don't suffer in handling quite as badly as their reputation. With slight modifications (uprated torsion bars, etc) they can handle as well as anything. And they make a very, very nice highway car. Fast, very smooth and plenty of torque.

I'd love to own a CGT!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know, I think I really like it. It looks tough and ready to rumble.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I can see your signature now

1959 Bugeye
1969 MGC GT
"Just weird ones & me"

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh no, not a GT gota be a roadster of course.

Nah, That's gonna be my signature - hehehe.

MGC...A Brutal Aggressive....Abingdon's Grand Tourer...a FANTASTIC road car that received some harsh press upon its release due to incorrect tire pressures in the period's best...bias ply tires. Never did get out from underneath the shadow that "reporting"...Once you drive one on the open road...it's hard to get back into the saddle of a B! (I like the feel of my C even more than my Nissan 300ZX...and I've also owned Z-cars since 1978!)