• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What the heck is this hose????

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Hi, folks! Seems it's just one question after another for me so here's a new one concerning my '79 B.
I had the carb adjusted by a mechanic last week and haven't really looked under the hood since, but today I was checking the oil and saw this hose leading to, well, nothing! The smog stuff has been removed and I'm hoping that it was conccected to that at one point but want to make sure. I think he might have moved it from where the disconnected end was hiding and now it has me concerned. At any rate, I see nothing for it to be attached to!
Thanks for all the help we get from you poeple in the know...I probably wouldn't have bought a car like this if it wasn't for helpful forums such as this one.
TN

Attachments

• 117546-hose.jpg
    117546-hose.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 163

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
Looking at the Moss catalog under Emission Controls, my guess is it is the hose, breather, oil seperator to the carb. Bet he forgot to rehook it up. Assuming it was before the mechanic worked on the carb. I have a Weber Carb and it is hooked up. You might look on the other side of the carb(firewall side) and see if there is a place for it to go. However, the safest thing is to call the mechanic.

Say how did the new stereo installation go!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Haven't done the radio yet but will get to it whenever my radio guru can help me out!
Thanks!
TN

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Okay, well now I'm going to sound stupid. The photo I posted was taken at the beginning of March and I've put about 2000 miles on the car since then with no problems. I really don't think that hose was ever attached since I bought it December. Exactly where on the carb is it supposed to go and was purpose does it serve???
TN

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
The hose is the breather pipe. This is part of the crankcase emission control. The part it is connect to now is the oil separator/flame trap. This is connected to the controlled depression chamber that is between the piston and the throttle disc valve of the carb. (if I am reading Bently correctly)

I think it is suppose to make you stereo sound better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif NOT!!! Sorry, could not resist.

Check with your mechanic would be my advice. From your pic it looks like your car has been de-smogged. I think I see some parts on there that for some reason they left and some the took off. I have a 78 and it is connected to my Weber.

I am still sick about what happened to your boot lid. (insert hurl graemlin here) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and let us know what's up with this.

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Yes, I have been desmogged and still got thorugh emissions with flying colors, I might add. If only that hose would improve the sound system! Thanks for the info...
I appreciate the sympathy concerning my boot lid...I'm going to get estimates for that plus a new paint job in the next week or so. Whew! It's always something!
TN